ONLINE POKER......ALL- IN EARLY?

telford777

telford777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey folks!I play a lot of online hold 'em and the majority of players go all-in early so that they can build a decent stack to contend for the bubble.
The problem is that if I get some decent hole cards, more often than not, at least one player (usually more) will go all-in.... Which puts me off playing my hand.
What would you do with a decent set of hole cards if it meant you had to go all-in to see the flop?

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against multiple opponents who go all in, even your premium hands become so much more vulnerable. Generally, unless I have AA or KK, I am avoiding all ins against multiple opponents early. However, against one opponent going all in, I will call with the top of my range(AA, KK, QQ, JJ/AKs). A lot of donks out there that will shove lower aces or lower pocket pairs and you can get an easy double up. All really depends on if you prefer to wait and play post flop or if you are willing to get it in before the flop.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest question to ask in those situations is: How strong is my hand vs. multiple opponents? For example if you have Aces and are going to shove then you are 85% to win against one opponent. If 1 person shoves, then another and then you with AA then you are 82% to take them both down. But if you have KK and lower then winning chances reduce dramatically vs. multiple opponents. KK is a monster against one shoving opponent (82% to win), but against 2 opponents this goes down to about 67% which is like AK headsup. So your question about what are 'decent' hole cards is situation dependant. As a rule of thumb, I subtract 10% from my winning chances for each opponent shoving into the pot. So with QQ which usually about 80% headsup, i'll knock that down to 65-70% against 2 stacks.

The odds are important also. If you do have Queens and two people have shoved in front of you, and stacks are shallow in the late game then it's probably profitable to move in against them. Study splitsuit's pot odds vids on YouTube and get Equilab so you can start learning about hand strengths vs different numbers of opponents.

Rage

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on Which Tourney I am in. If it is one of the 60 billion daily freerolls ACR offers then I will call no Matter what ...Period. If I hit , Perfect..If I don't Exit out and enter the other one that is probably starting. If it's a cash tourney with a decent prize pool, Unless its Aces or Kings I will Often Times fold and wait for the table to Tighten down before Moving in with other Premium hands

PelyaMX

PelyaMX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey folks!I play a lot of online hold 'em and the majority of players go all-in early so that they can build a decent stack to contend for the bubble.
The problem is that if I get some decent hole cards, more often than not, at least one player (usually more) will go all-in.... Which puts me off playing my hand.
What would you do with a decent set of hole cards if it meant you had to go all-in to see the flop?

I'd suggest you start to play more Buy-in tours & less Freerolls ?
In good tournament with normal buy-in ($11, $22 & more) you will not find smbd go All-in every single hand )))))

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have a rule to play AA, KK, QQ in such a situation, the rest of the hands will pass, and of course not more than two opponents will go into the bank. otherwise even these cards will not be able to resist their cards

K

Kaski54

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only AA or KK would force me to go allin in early stage.
Lost too many AK, AQ, AJ to pair of 6, 7, 8 or even 3.

Preflop allin makes lottery rather than strategy.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey folks!I play a lot of online hold 'em and the majority of players go all-in early so that they can build a decent stack to contend for the bubble. The problem is that if I get some decent hole cards, more often than not, at least one player (usually more) will go all-in.... Which puts me off playing my hand. What would you do with a decent set of hole cards if it meant you had to go all-in to see the flop?
HOWDY:D I usually just go with feeling, it is smart to try and build early and grind later. So if your holding decent cards and you feel good just do it, you could lose or double, triple up. If you have to fold just be patient and youll get that hand to double up;) Good luck out there and keep grinding

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People who do that are weak players.I was small blind I raise with A9 big blind shoves all in. We both have near starting stack and blinds or not very big.I call and he has KQ off, I win and he calls me a bingo player lol

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situation of what has happened before, how I have played, how he has played. It just felt like I should be calling and i was right

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought the whole deal with online tournaments was to go all in first hand?

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest question to ask in those situations is: How strong is my hand vs. multiple opponents? For example if you have Aces and are going to shove then you are 85% to win against one opponent. If 1 person shoves, then another and then you with AA then you are 82% to take them both down. But if you have KK and lower then winning chances reduce dramatically vs. multiple opponents. KK is a monster against one shoving opponent (82% to win), but against 2 opponents this goes down to about 67% which is like AK headsup. So your question about what are 'decent' hole cards is situation dependant. As a rule of thumb, I subtract 10% from my winning chances for each opponent shoving into the pot. So with QQ which usually about 80% headsup, i'll knock that down to 65-70% against 2 stacks.

The odds are important also. If you do have Queens and two people have shoved in front of you, and stacks are shallow in the late game then it's probably profitable to move in against them. Study splitsuit's pot odds vids on YouTube and get Equilab so you can start learning about hand strengths vs different numbers of opponents.

Rage

Thank you so much! I learned a lot from this post.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I use to think survive but now I think target weak players. People who play to many hand, go all-in to much, not very good post flop players and are one dimensional. You can build big stack from them

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said unless you've got premium pairs or at least AK/AQ its not worth risking it unless you know the player has been opening wide. If its a freeroll and its early I might consider the flip if I like my hand enough though.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, Decent is a relative term.
2nd Do you have notes on them? How often they move in and with what?
3rd What is the tournament type? KO, ReBuy, Freezeout, Re-Enter?

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say more often than not, let the absolute gambling maniacs obliterate each other and wait for your chance to go after them. So pretty much wait for AA, KK, QQ or AK suited. JJ, 1010 and AK off, be careful with and AQ, just fold if you see a raise.
If they're freerolls or rebuys perhaps.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at an early stage, the risk is not justified if there is no AA or KK on the hands. The rest I better pass
even QQ now I learned to dump away from sin[emoji33] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at an early stage, the risk is not justified if there is no AA or KK on the hands. The rest I better pass
even QQ now I learned to dump away from sin[emoji33] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Letting go of QQ? Preflop? How do you pull that off?

It's hard for me to let go of that hand preflop but post-flop however is a different story.

I don't lose a lot of times with QQ but maybe I've been playing different poker games where QQ is a guaranteed win.

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Situational.

Hey there Telford,

What are we talking about? MTT's that are freerolls? Low stakes micro stakes? The reason I ask is because in freerolls in particular this is extremely common. When you can see that it is taking place - I like to just call to see a flop. Small raises with small pairs, decent raises with high pairs and so on. Just take it slow in the beginning if you're running into this problem. Before you know it all the people that are going absolutely bonkers will weed them out. Then when you see people with giant stacks - watch how theyre playing. If theyre still being crazy when youre a little bit deeper in the tournament, adjust accordingly. Other than that - I really dont like risking my entire stack in multi way pots.

Hope that helps a little!

Travis
BCP - horseshoebhole

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If it's an uninteresting freeroll I'm going all in to try to double, I have nothing to lose.

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm in a bad mood I can go all-in with pocket 10s on UTG haha!

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on the tournament you're in as to go all in or not. For one thing going all in is not the same as calling all in. You have fold equity sometimes by pushing other people off their hands by going all in. To call all in I think you should have a really strong holding such as AA or KK. Other factors are involved too such as your stack size compared to your opponent's stack size.And also if you are a short stack and need to double up to stay alive.

M

mrgeorgia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerStars - Cardschat

PokerStars - Cardschat pass?