Nervous on this ACR 75 GTD tournament...

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welp - I somehow managed to make it to top 3 and won one of the tickets to the 75 GTD to the big 1 mil game today.

Unfortunately the satellite is at 1:30 and the big game starts at 3, so eh - looks like I'll probably be coming into THAT game late, unless everyone else wants to blitz through so everyone can be on time.

My problem is - I'm letting the POTENTIAL of this get to me, I mean, gee, from one freeroll - here I am 1 game later on the verge of winning a $550 ticket, so I'm quite nervous.

Even if I DO win one of the 75, I'm afraid I might be paralytic - and simply say - I can't afford to risk this, I can't afford to risk this.

One guy - Neitzsche - younger guy in wsop I saw in Atlanta ?w as it ? years back - he seemed calm in every game- and it was as if he simply forgot about the prize and just played the hands.

I'm thinking this is the way to go, but I also don't want to throw this thinking, oh well- was only $3 entry fee- or worse, 'oh well, never cost me anything to start'.

Anyone have any thoughts ? tips on how to get past some pre game jitters? Simply because of the stakes?

My intuition is saying - be afraid, my intellect is saying, lighten up - play like normal, don't shove unless you know you have it etc.

Uh oh, I just realized, I've not seen a full house in probably 25 games... augh! What does this mean ? what does this mean ? heh - (not just me - ANYONE having one, I was just picturing one of those nice Ace high flushes and thinking- HA - the other player will probably have a full house, then I realized, hmm - I've simply not seen many of those for some bizarro reason lately).

One thing I'm thinking of though is - I MUST approach the game as if I'm going to win it !

HEh- I used to hang out on Dusty Schmidt's Twitch stream - leatherass9 on ACR - he's done a LOT of multi-tabling, but no one else would be in there so I'd just ask questions and learn since it was my first year in playing and Dusty used to say 'I approach the game as if I'm the best player at the table, because I HAVE TO do that ' and I think I get that now, it's like Billy Murray in Groundhog day when he's throwing cards into a hat hitting it EVERY TIME -a nd Andi McDowell goes 'How DO you do that Phil' - meanwhile Phil HAS been practicing that for ETERNITY - heh but Phil casually goes - hahah and I've derived a LOT of philosophical meaning from this- he says as IF this is all you need 'Gotta want it Rita'.

So - yeah, I SHOULD approach it as if I will win this thing.

$350,00 first prize ? I bet I could so lots of things... Perhaps for ANOTHER THREAD... for fun

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to avoid the jitters just assume you will not cash. Mathematically the odds are against you even with perfect play you are most likely not going to cash. Play to win but assume you won't. This leaves you to make the correct play every hand regardless of the outcome.

A

audacity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to avoid the jitters just assume you will not cash. Mathematically the odds are against you even with perfect play you are most likely not going to cash. Play to win but assume you won't. This leaves you to make the correct play every hand regardless of the outcome.

Oh I like that Nathan.

Right- assume I'm not going to win - therefore I won't be in anyway hyper conservative...

So, if I get this approach, it's play as IF you GOING to lose, so you can WIN !

I DO like this self imposed reverse psychology.

Thanks

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Think of it this way, the odds of winning are slim and cashing wont happen for most players in the event. You also need to remember you have an advantage over many of the player out there. How many paid to get into this event and now are nerves as well? Maybe they satellited in as well but how much did they buy in for that event or how many times did they buy in? You have nothing to lose here. Enjoy the game and if you cash or win, thats the cherry on top of the day for you. Best of luck to you.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's only 132 people registered right now, so our odds of getting into the big event look good. I'm thinking that all 75 getting the same prize is going to lead to an ultra-tight game with most folks just trying to survive into the prize : I plan to take advantage of that. I expect a decent number of folks to jump in late and they will be playing loose-aggressive for their chance. There's three hours of registration, so best case scenario we get into the big event an hour-and-a-half late.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is so weird : there is a shove-monkey at my table. He has pushed in 5 times against raises of 90 or 120.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welp, first time I've ever played in an event like this, where the top 75 get the same prize, and I was wrong about all my speculations. The people at my table certainly weren't playing very tight, just a normal tourney. There were*560* late registrants, which I just don't understand why so many people late register for tourneys. I'm out after flopping a set of Ks against AKos, which hit a runner-runner flush after I got it all-in on the flop.....

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'v played 3 MDS on ACR so far from freerolls and I bubbled the BOSS satellite this weekend. I would recommend keeping your head low and playing action per action. Keep us updated.

J

johnltakacs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should approach a feeeroll like a million dollar tourney. Yes they players will play different but being tournament successful takes patience, player style recognition, and aggressiveness. Good luck!

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welp, first time I've ever played in an event like this, where the top 75 get the same prize, and I was wrong about all my speculations. The people at my table certainly weren't playing very tight, just a normal tourney. There were*560* late registrants, which I just don't understand why so many people late register for tourneys. I'm out after flopping a set of Ks against AKos, which hit a runner-runner flush after I got it all-in on the flop.....

Hi, well that sucks, nice sparkly hand on the flop, however just a matter of time to your success, "they" can't get lucky all the time