N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Guys,

I would like to knw your opinion on the following.

Let's say you are in a 5$ buy in, on the button, 25BB, with AKo.

UTG which is a pretty active player, shoves. He's stats are looking like 25/20 (over 30 hands). Even if he is under the gun, you are a favorite, but it's a flip though. If you lose you are almost out you stack will be very short.

He had Q9o and he won it, and my tournament was over.

Have you ever considering folding in this spots?

In my entire play, I have never folded in this situations:)

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against very active players at the table I prefer to embrace them all in pre flop quiet unfortunately he will always have his 20% to win the hand plus our plays against these types of players over the long term will always be very profitable good luck at the tables.

bmw13

bmw13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's say you are BB and every time SB steal from you and you pay him he wins what about that ...you can;t do anything... I was playing for live packet 550$ and I got out because I paid A4 his K8 shove in every SB ...I lost the qualify because of that ... so I really don t know how is better to play or decisions are pretty useless when you pay for coinflip. So today I'm sitting on the chair, not at the live tournament, it's so nice.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys,

UTG which is a pretty active player, shoves. He's stats are looking like 25/20 (over 30 hands). Even if he is under the gun, you are a favorite, but it's a flip though. If you lose you are almost out you stack will be very short.

I'll only consider folding in this situation if facing a 3-bet from a player who is extremely tight.

N

neafana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against very active players at the table I prefer to embrace them all in pre flop quiet unfortunately he will always have his 20% to win the hand plus our plays against these types of players over the long term will always be very profitable good luck at the tables.

Yeah, it long run, definitely is profitable. But it's frustrating when you loose. I think he is more than 30% favorite in general, since I consider that from UTG he will raise AT+, JTs+, any pair, broadways.

G

glennelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always have AK or better if you're going all in preflop for your tournament life. BETTER being the key word. If your opponent has any pair, you're flipping a coin and you should really try to avoid a coin flip for all your chips.

If the bubble was approaching, I'd probably fold. If I was nowhere near the bubble, or already in the money, I'd probably call. I'd also definitely call if I had him covered, which you did not.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always have AK or better if you're going all in preflop for your tournament life. BETTER being the key word. If your opponent has any pair, you're flipping a coin and you should really try to avoid a coin flip for all your chips.

If the bubble was approaching, I'd probably fold. If I was nowhere near the bubble, or already in the money, I'd probably call. I'd also definitely call if I had him covered, which you did not.

None of this is really right. We have to avoid vast over generalizations as they are inherently fallacious. If your statement were correct when SB jammed 10BB into us in BB and we had AQ and 8BB left, you are saying you would fold because you are afraid of a flip? Yes it is true that sometimes we will get stuck in a coinflip, but you are vastly overestimating the percent of his range that is a pocket pair. Villain could be jamming 8BB effective with a really wide range of hands BvB and folding AQ in that spot would be throwing away chip EV.

As for OP's spot I snap call so fast that sometimes I accidentally click the fold button [emoji23]

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tuff situation. I wouldn't fold myself. Maybe if I was close to the bubble or wanting to move up in the money. But by then you're dealing with, hopefully, better caliber of player. Early on I have no problem with coin flips. I'm going to get a big stack or go home. You're a 2:1 favorite and in the early stages you are going to want to play for stacks. Its not always ideal but you will catch those cards.

Boltun

Boltun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a massive amount of times out on the bubble of the plot is straight some

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Guys,

We block some AA/KK combination, so we're looking at a 22-QQ, worse A/X hands, worse K/X hands, and none paired hands like QJs, all of which we're a favorite against.

With only 25 BBs, this is a really easy call with AKo.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tuff situation. I wouldn't fold myself. Maybe if I was close to the bubble or wanting to move up in the money. But by then you're dealing with, hopefully, better caliber of player. Early on I have no problem with coin flips. I'm going to get a big stack or go home. You're a 2:1 favorite and in the early stages you are going to want to play for stacks. Its not always ideal but you will catch those cards.
That's an interesting way to look at it.

So, you'd rather play for stacks when they're deep; sometimes 100+ BBs deep and even take 100+ BB flips in the early stages, but not at the later stages when stacks are ~25-40 BBs on average?

G

glennelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your statement were correct when SB jammed 10BB into us in BB and we had AQ and 8BB left, you are saying you would fold because you are afraid of a flip?

No, I'm saying it depends. In that situation I would call. In the one the poster proposed, I might fold, as an all in UTG means a strong hand is much more likely.

Also, it's absolutely true that you should have AK or better if you're going all in for your tournament life. Actually I think that's an exact quote from Jennifer Harmon. Not that she's any kind of authority in particular, but she knows what she's talking about.

Anyway, it's not really the case that "NONE" of what I said was right lol

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, it's absolutely true that you should have AK or better if you're going all in for your tournament life. Actually I think that's an exact quote from Jennifer Harmon. Not that she's any kind of authority in particular, but she knows what she's talking about.

It's just not a true statement in today's game. There are a lot of spots where it's correct to go all in with ATC

G

glennelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just not a true statement in today's game. There are a lot of spots where it's correct to go all in with ATC

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree. It also depends on whether you're CALLING all in or MOVING all in. It all depends on what the situation dictates, as you just eluded.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree. It also depends on whether you're CALLING all in or MOVING all in. It all depends on what the situation dictates, as you just eluded.

If you only call all ins with AK or better you will blind down always

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[ ] This thread would have been made if OP's AK held up.

[x] Snap call so fast sometimes you misclick and fold.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So, you'd rather play for stacks when they're deep; sometimes 100+ BBs deep and even take 100+ BB flips in the early stages, but not at the later stages when stacks are ~25-40 BBs on average?
It does make some sense, if you think about it.
In the early stage of any MTT, you're going to have players pushing with ATC, most of which you beat.
In the later stages you will still take coin-flips, you just have to pick your spots more carefully.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If I can double up early then I'm set for a good run into the bubble and beyond and have more control over the situations I pick. We've all have played cautiously and well throughout a tournament only to have that one mistake cripple us late in a tournament and knock us out. It's easier to get by these hurdles with a bigger stack as opposed to a smaller one.
Also a lot of tournaments are rebuys and re-entry. Therefore I'm going to be slightly loser on the hand selection. I willing to take those risk if I know and have more bullets to fire. I have also seen others successfully pull this off when I fire only one bullet/buy-in. Of course this is a tactic that should be used for a higher payout tournament as your going to have to make all those buy-ins back plus your profit.