MTT Late Registration Strategy

S

StraightValue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a lot of the big MTT's on ACR having huge late registration periods, I've been trying to figure out the best time for myself to register for them. Currently I'm thinking about half way into the late registration period, because it gives enough BBs to play some poker but it saves me an hour or so of grinding.
What's everyone's thoughts/plan for registering late for a MTT?

igrok8503

igrok8503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like late registration. Although it happened, but it is in free tournaments. And in the toll I always try to be from the very beginning of the tournament, as I study few opponents.

M

m4roon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With a lot of the big MTT's on ACR having huge late registration periods, I've been trying to figure out the best time for myself to register for them. Currently I'm thinking about half way into the late registration period, because it gives enough BBs to play some poker but it saves me an hour or so of grinding.
What's everyone's thoughts/plan for registering late for a MTT?
I think your thoughts are right, you also have to have a bit more money for case if you lose for rebuys and a bit more for add-ons

I do not like late registration. Although it happened, but it is in free tournaments. And in the toll I always try to be from the very beginning of the tournament, as I study few opponents.
Late reg. is not only in freerolls. I've seen them in microlimit games too. In my opinion only low quality tournements have late reg. because they try to earn as much money from rebuys, addons, which a lot of players does.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to start the tournament from the beginning. To have more girls blind, to be able to analyze the players better and build a good stack so that closer to ITM I can play more calmly. In some tournaments I also choose to enter as late as possible of the register to try to enter charges, but I do it the least amount of times in this way. regards

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it's free I don't care when I get in but when I'm putting money down or playing one of my tickets I don't like to get in past level 3. There's too much pressure to pick up a good hand quickly if you get in too late.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like playing from the start and trying to get a stack but budgeting a few buyins in anticipation of some suck-outs that don't go my way, other times if I am tired and don't feel like playing for hours and hours of late reg I will jump in on a 30BB stack and play from there sometimes even 20BB stack depending on the tourney.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I always try to play the tournament from the start.

igrok8503

igrok8503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your thoughts are right, you also have to have a bit more money for case if you lose for rebuys and a bit more for add-ons

Late reg. is not only in freerolls. I've seen them in microlimit games too. In my opinion only low quality tournements have late reg. because they try to earn as much money from rebuys, addons, which a lot of players does.
Tournaments with a deep stack and rebums / addons are not very fond of. Although satellite occasionally play.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing from the start and building your chip stack is probably your best bet.

Unless it's a tourney that only has like 34 people, then maybe late registering might have an advantage but even then, the chip leaders will have a considerable advantage over you.

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In big tournaments I usually register with a few minutes delay, although it is true that the stack usually has an owner, you can still give some competition compared to enter from the beginning and run with bad hands

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like late registration. The latest time for me is half an hour of play. So I have more chances to get a good hand and raise the stack.

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll pretty much always play from the beginning, unless I'm only a little late (maybe 5 minutes). I'd much rather wait 10-30 minutes to start from the beginning of another tournament than buy in 10-30 minutes late for one in progress.

Mmurilove

Mmurilove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to register in late register when have add-on. It is because when entering short time for the add-on, we can do it and stay with a good average of stack.
If there is not, I like to get at least 40bbs up in the tournament.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually register at the beginning to take advantage of the weaker players from the start

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this, I'm better playing with less than 20BB, if I register to play early stages, I'm getting bored and I will not play as I would like

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try the Mini Daily Marathon ($5) on pokerstars, a couple minutes before registration closes. If you survive an hour you will likely be in the money.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like late reg tournaments and usualy reg after about an hours play in a large tournament.:):):)

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I seat in the mtt with late reg on the last break usually. (no hold'em)

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try not to register if your starting stack is less than 50 BBs. As long as you have that many BBs, you should be okay. Anything less than that and you are putting yourself in a bind.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For RB/A MTTs:
-Wait until last min before late registration closes.
-Buy-in.
-Rebuy.
-Add on.

You'll start with ~35-40 BBs.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start at the beginning of the tourney so I can get in some hand from late position with some suited connector hands and see a couple flops and see what happens if flop hits big then I have some chips for middle and late round of tourney.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Registering before the start of a tournament is always the most optimal time.

S

stamark

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I really prefer playing by the start of a tournament. I want to know the players and have their stats that will help my game and let me build my stack

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I always try to register when it has already passed more than half the late registration or when there is still 1 hour left, I do not know, but I feel more comfortable playing like this, I think I avoid playing so many hours of play, than playing from the start and I do not exhaust myself so much, as long as they are slow tournaments, if they are turbos, I play them from the beginning

vokrugdookola

vokrugdookola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you enter late check-in, you need to have a well-played push and fold post game