MTT improvement in ranking advise needed!

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any tips from profi MTT players here? Im currently having a problem I´m consistently landing in paid places but not the top places. Sigh. Any suggestions or things I might be missing here?

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any tips from profi MTT players here? Im currently having a problem I´m consistently landing in paid places but not the top places. Sigh. Any suggestions or things I might be missing here?

based on the information provided the only advice that can be given is "Get better". provide us with certain hands that you have lost with or certain strategies you use that might need improvement and we can help. No one can just tell you a secret that will magically have you winning tournaments. it takes years to learn and you need to put in the effort of trying to find leaks in your game and then finding ways to improve those leaks.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"In order to live, you must be willing to die!"

Play more aggressive and don't be cautious when getting Closer to the bubble.
mincash is better than Nothing, but not worth playing for because the big Money is on the final table.
once you realise that folding in the Money is a waste of time and you are not afraid About going broke on the bubble, you're ITM% might drop, but your ROI will increase!

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a perfect article here at CC.
"Changing gears" is the name of the article.
Play loose/passive at start and tight/agressive being in the money.
Hands like 56s/89o/JT are good for the start of tourney.
If you can see a flop for cheap being in position with such hands then it's great. Straigh-flush and hard to read full houses and sets are your friends at this stage. You have to build a stack, and you can't often do that with pocket aces/kings and such... well maybe you can at lower limits, but it's harder to do that at mid\top limits.

Deeper in the tourney you can adjust your strategy to Tight\Aggressive, and play hands like 99+/AQ+

It's great IF you're using your time bank to keep your table full after some player busts. Just wait for new player to come before folding or calling, so this way you'll be sitting at this table for a long time. Players will know that you've played hands like 56-78 in the past, and will also know that you've played AA-KK, so in their calculations against you they will include a really large range... While your range will be shrinking with time.

At the final table the game is different. Your cards are not as important as your position, your opponents and your actions. You must understand what's going on when tight opponent check/calls you 2 times, and if loose opponent check/raises you.

BTW
At low limit final tables, if your stack is big enough to sit for like 6+ rounds or for more than 1 hour, then you can simply wait for top pairs like JJ+ and nothing else... During one hour at the lower limits final tables half of the table will be out. Thoughts about ICM and prize jumps are dominated by the level of TILT there, so if you're not tilting, just let the others leave before you.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"In order to live, you must be willing to die!"

Play more aggressive and don't be cautious when getting Closer to the bubble.
mincash is better than Nothing, but not worth playing for because the big Money is on the final table.
once you realise that folding in the Money is a waste of time and you are not afraid About going broke on the bubble, you're ITM% might drop, but your ROI will increase!

Thanks. I think I understand what you mean. The chip stack needs to be able to game on after the bubble to get to higher tables. thanks!

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a perfect article here at CC.
"Changing gears" is the name of the article.
Play loose/passive at start and tight/agressive being in the money.
Hands like 56s/89o/JT are good for the start of tourney.
If you can see a flop for cheap being in position with such hands then it's great. Straigh-flush and hard to read full houses and sets are your friends at this stage. You have to build a stack, and you can't often do that with pocket aces/kings and such... well maybe you can at lower limits, but it's harder to do that at mid\top limits.

Deeper in the tourney you can adjust your strategy to Tight\Aggressive, and play hands like 99+/AQ+

It's great IF you're using your time bank to keep your table full after some player busts. Just wait for new player to come before folding or calling, so this way you'll be sitting at this table for a long time. Players will know that you've played hands like 56-78 in the past, and will also know that you've played AA-KK, so in their calculations against you they will include a really large range... While your range will be shrinking with time.

At the final table the game is different. Your cards are not as important as your position, your opponents and your actions. You must understand what's going on when tight opponent check/calls you 2 times, and if loose opponent check/raises you.

BTW
At low limit final tables, if your stack is big enough to sit for like 6+ rounds or for more than 1 hour, then you can simply wait for top pairs like JJ+ and nothing else... During one hour at the lower limits final tables half of the table will be out. Thoughts about ICM and prize jumps are dominated by the level of TILT there, so if you're not tilting, just let the others leave before you.

Thanks for your advice! I will definitely try this for a week and see how this works in building my stack at the later/mid stages of MTT.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some great advice already on here! I’d suggest first making sure that your finish distribution is actually swayed towards mincash type finishes—it may just be that you’re playing great and getting bogged down in thinking about what could actually be too small a sample to be statistically relevant in this way. Of course even in that case we always have to seek to improve our poker game as the game is constantly evolving—with or without us haha.

That being said, is it possible that you maybe aren’t pwning the bubble as much as you should be when you’re a big stack near the money/especially directly on the bubble? Since that’s the most common (and ICM correct) way to accumulate a stack late in the game, I’d suggest reviewing your games and looking for these spots. Even in games where you’re a midstack on the bubble, and are sadly therefore correct to tighten up in accordance with ICM, you can review these games by looking at spots that are folds in the situation at hand, but ask yourself what you would open in those spots if you were the biggest stack.

Best of luck! :)

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best tip I can give ya is to avoid thinking your some pro and multi-tabling 3+ tables right off the bat. Focus on getting good until your plays are automatic. Don’t fall into a robotic pattern but until you master 1 tabling, anything more is a losing strategy long term. It’s such a small detail beginner players don’t think about but it can have such a dramatic difference on your win rate.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
based on the information provided the only advice that can be given is "Get better". provide us with certain hands that you have lost with or certain strategies you use that might need improvement and we can help. No one can just tell you a secret that will magically have you winning tournaments. it takes years to learn and you need to put in the effort of trying to find leaks in your game and then finding ways to improve those leaks.

What years are you talking about?
It takes 30 minutes to study the game and tourney rules, and 2 days to learn most of the mathematical and psychological aspects, rest depends on how your brain works and how lucky you are. If you need years to start paying attention to what's going on at the table and to calculate your outs for 52 cards deck then it's better to quit playing poker...

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Find a strategy,there are a lot of information on web just keep looking,find something that fits you.It will explain everything what hands to play in the begging in late how to play to get to the money,etc.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have seen players cash all the time but min cash. If you are getting close to the money bubble what do you do? Play your game or do you go into a shell until you make the money. If you are holding on you are just killing your opportunities to go deeper in the events you play. Its never fun to be knocked out on the bubble but never going deep do to just trying to make the money is worse in my opinion.

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen players cash all the time but min cash. If you are getting close to the money bubble what do you do? Play your game or do you go into a shell until you make the money. If you are holding on you are just killing your opportunities to go deeper in the events you play. Its never fun to be knocked out on the bubble but never going deep do to just trying to make the money is worse in my opinion.

Yeah, I realized I was doing this the more I think about it and the more I reflect on the majority opinion on the thread. Thank you very much. You and all guys in this thread! Now time to get rid of this f** disease!

C

chiefmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What years are you talking about?
It takes 30 minutes to study the game and tourney rules, and 2 days to learn most of the mathematical and psychological aspects, rest depends on how your brain works and how lucky you are. If you need years to start paying attention to what's going on at the table and to calculate your outs for 52 cards deck then it's better to quit playing poker...

Lmao and the pros just started getting "lucky" all the time after studying for years im guessing? I wasnt trying to tell him its a stupid question or anything i was trying to help him know how to learn. you cant just make a post saying "i want to get better results in tournaments" and expect to get answers and go on to crush tournaments. I understand the frustation of never being able to get top results and to get there you need to be asking the right questions. Knowing how to learn is just as hard as learning. Instead ask questions like " Heres a spot i played and i feel like i couldve gotten more value but not sure how" and people will give specific strategies that you can have in your toolbox and learn to apply it in other situations. You said it takes 2 days and i agree it does take 2 days to learn the rules "counting outs, Knowing the 5 card hands" but if you think thats all you need to crush tournaments then you need to get in touch with reality.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lmao and the pros just started getting "lucky" all the time after studying for years im guessing? I wasnt trying to tell him its a stupid question or anything i was trying to help him know how to learn. you cant just make a post saying "i want to get better results in tournaments" and expect to get answers and go on to crush tournaments. I understand the frustation of never being able to get top results and to get there you need to be asking the right questions. Knowing how to learn is just as hard as learning. Instead ask questions like " Heres a spot i played and i feel like i couldve gotten more value but not sure how" and people will give specific strategies that you can have in your toolbox and learn to apply it in other situations. You said it takes 2 days and i agree it does take 2 days to learn the rules "counting outs, Knowing the 5 card hands" but if you think thats all you need to crush tournaments then you need to get in touch with reality.

You're not getting it.
Let me explain it better:
-- It takes 30 minutes to learn the game and tourney rules...It means that you can remember the ladder of combinations during first 2 minutes and understand implied pot odds during 28th minute.
-- It takes maximum 48 hours to understand VpiP/PFR and rest of the key factors plus major mistakes plus psychology of the poker table. Just need to browse several tournament coaching videos, where someone who is good at poker explains mistakes of each hand.

So basically you can evolve from complete newbie to a poker pro in just 2 days if your mind works well. During these 2 days you have to understand that poker is not a "collect combination game", that you can fold pre-flop AA sometimes and shove with 27os sometimes.

There is not much information to learn. I saw a 13 y.o. boy learned the game in 3 live poker sessions Friday to Sunday evenings, he was watching how his father played... That 13 y.o. boy managed to build 4K bankroll to PS account registered using grandmas details and he started with $5 transferred to his account. He played 2c and 10c SNGs... made $4k in 3 years... he was playing after school... It shocked me. He's not a genius, but he plays chess since he was 7y.o. that's what we all do here... and chess helps you to power up your strategy thinking muscle and planning muscle :D:D

Well, some people can't plan their day and never think about planning 5-10-20 years of their future life, and you want them to start playng poker like a pro in 2 days? This will never happen, not in 2 days, not in 20 years.

Rocket scientist can wash floors, but janitor can't make rockets.:five:

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're not getting it.
Let me explain it better:
-- It takes 30 minutes to learn the game and tourney rules...It means that you can remember the ladder of combinations during first 2 minutes and understand implied pot odds during 28th minute.
-- It takes maximum 48 hours to understand VpiP/PFR and rest of the key factors plus major mistakes plus psychology of the poker table. Just need to browse several tournament coaching videos, where someone who is good at poker explains mistakes of each hand.

So basically you can evolve from complete newbie to a poker pro in just 2 days if your mind works well. During these 2 days you have to understand that poker is not a "collect combination game", that you can fold pre-flop AA sometimes and shove with 27os sometimes.

There is not much information to learn. I saw a 13 y.o. boy learned the game in 3 live poker sessions Friday to Sunday evenings, he was watching how his father played... That 13 y.o. boy managed to build 4K bankroll to PS account registered using grandmas details and he started with $5 transferred to his account. He played 2c and 10c SNGs... made $4k in 3 years... he was playing after school... It shocked me. He's not a genius, but he plays chess since he was 7y.o. that's what we all do here... and chess helps you to power up your strategy thinking muscle and planning muscle :D:D

Well, some people can't plan their day and never think about planning 5-10-20 years of their future life, and you want them to start playng poker like a pro in 2 days? This will never happen, not in 2 days, not in 20 years.

Rocket scientist can wash floors, but janitor can't make rockets.:five:

wow. Kudos to the family! Really inspires me to hear of families still investing into building skills early on instead of a passive smartphone-tablet generation that is increasingly taking trend.

I am inclined to think I really am making the standard mistake in the bubble play. Let´s see what gives after a week or two of testing. :)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow. Kudos to the family! Really inspires me to hear of families still investing into building skills early on instead of a passive smartphone-tablet generation that is increasingly taking trend.

+1, This is so true! Was nice to read about![emoji4]