MTT Getting Over The Hump in Tournies

U

udamanbro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Having acquired many chips I tend to bow out around 30-45 place in tournies, How do I get over the hump to make final tables?:confused::rolleyes::)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having acquired many chips I tend to bow out around 30-45 place in tournies, How do I get over the hump to make final tables?:confused::rolleyes::)

You're going to need to know how to target specific stacks and specific players as you get deeper.

In the beginning you are playing cards, but in the later stages you are playing stack sizes and players. Once you make this mental shift you'll be in a great place to get the job done!

this playlist should help quite a bit https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-win-poker-tournaments
And if you want a more thorough outline of MTT Strategy from first hand to final table check out the 'free poker training' link on my website where you can score the MTT Video Guide for free!

Hope that seeing the big picture helps you fine tune your strategies and that once you make the adjustments you start runner deeper and deeper in your poker games!!!

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself altering my strategy when I get close to the bubble. If I'm a chip leader, I'll use my size to bully around or steal pots from smaller stacks. If I'm close to being ITM when on the bubble, I narrow the range of hands I play since there are people behind me who are more desperate to make moves with blinds and antes catching up to them. While I don't always follow these guidelines, I often find myself sticking to them and having a better shot of getting ITM.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're going to need to know how to target specific stacks and specific players as you get deeper.

In the beginning you are playing cards, but in the later stages you are playing stack sizes and players. Once you make this mental shift you'll be in a great place to get the job done!

this playlist should help quite a bit https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-win-poker-tournaments
And if you want a more thorough outline of MTT Strategy from first hand to final table check out the 'free poker training' link on my website where you can score the MTT Video Guide for free!

Hope that seeing the big picture helps you fine tune your strategies and that once you make the adjustments you start runner deeper and deeper in your poker games!!!

great answer. you seem like a genuine nice dude. i've watched several of your videos over the years. quality stuff. good luck out there

boo_maju

boo_maju

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can probably buy a lot of chips at the beginning to win player ruins, but in the end you are very still waiting for good hands. You must play more aggressively or end tournaments. You should take care of your pre-flop game so that you don't put chips in the pot in any way.

OneSevenFi5

OneSevenFi5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself altering my strategy when I get close to the bubble. If I'm a chip leader, I'll use my size to bully around or steal pots from smaller stacks. If I'm close to being ITM when on the bubble, I narrow the range of hands I play since there are people behind me who are more desperate to make moves with blinds and antes catching up to them. While I don't always follow these guidelines, I often find myself sticking to them and having a better shot of getting ITM.

Sometimes I find I have to play exceptionally tight as CL as we make our way to the money for the reason you described about with the bubble. Gives me a chance to really watch my opponents work through these hands to find an exploit. Had to really work this angle last night to take down 2k as the majority of players were opening wide and aggressive. I felt my best option was to play tight with hands that have their value priced in and let the cards do their thing until we could get to a point where I felt I could isolate a player if I found a weakness, like Evan had mentioned.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
great answer. you seem like a genuine nice dude. i've watched several of your videos over the years. quality stuff. good luck out there

Thank you Mr Alabama!!!!

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
30-40, switch gears, open your range..

You may use tight/aggro in early tourney to get a stack. Once you have a decent stack, be more aggressive, open your range. Connectors play, the marginal A can turn into A+4 suits flush, things happen if you play more hands. Don't go nuts, just be a little more comfortable playing uncomfortable starting hands.

PLEASE FOLLOW ALL THE OTHERS ADVICE, every little bit helps, you will take the advice that works for you.