me and my friend qualified for a satellite for the HTP but it's a big blind ante for

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good morning to you all. At this time on Sunday me and my partner played in a doubles tournament for The Pub Poker League. The top three teams got satellite seeds for the HTP tournament in Pittsburgh which is going to be held between April 4th to April 15th. Me and my partner one up finishing second in the doubles tournament and we got seats for the $135 satellite. My partner chose to play on the one on April 11th and I chose to play tomorrow April 8th. This tournament format is a big blind ante format which I have never played in my question to you all is how do I play in a big blind ante format this tournament starts with 15,000 chips is called a monster stack tournament and blinds go up every 20 minutes thank you I'm all ears have a nice day I need help to navigate through the storm so I can get in the main draw goodbye.

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what are the best strategies to avenge the main event of this tournament first time we ever done a big blind ante tournament

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I played in my first BB Ante a couple of weeks ago at a wsop Circuit. I thought it would be different, but there really isn't much of a difference. A few things and pointers:

1) When It's your time to post the ante, post the ante first.

2) People tend to defend their BB more, so be prepared for that.

Otherwise, just play your game.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I played in a few of these now. The good news is you play more hands this way and once the ante comes into play you dont bleed off chips each hand, The negative is when you are in the big blind you get to pay double. When short stacked you need to make sure you dont get to short so that when you hit the BB and say have 10BB stack you are putting 40% of you chips in play in before you even get your cards. Other than that there is not big difference,

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The only actual difference is the ante that you pay is not considered a bet from your stack even though it's only coming from one player and not a little (equal amount) from everyone. I imagine tournaments have rules to deal with first hand shenanigans that might lead to an All In vs All In from the BB/ante. In this situation, in the first hand, a BB/ante player cannot knock out any other player because the BB/ante stack has had the ante removed. At Playground Poker Club in Montreal, they decided that the ante would not start until the second hand. This was a couple of years ago, they may have tweaked the procedure since then, but you get what I'm saying: there may be a weird hand or two, but it's just one person paying an ante for the whole table - once each per orbit.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Explain more about this kinda tourney. Ive never heard of it. So you pay a BB as ante every hand? Later rounds would be hard on a small stack so you would need to get a big stack to survive antes.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Explain more about this kinda tourney. Ive never heard of it. So you pay a BB as ante every hand? Later rounds would be hard on a small stack so you would need to get a big stack to survive antes.

The only player who pays the ante is the BB. So, when you're in that position, you pay the big blind twice but only one of them is considered your bet. That means that if you fold every hand preflop you'll lose exactly 2.5 big blinds every round.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played in my first BB Ante a couple of weeks ago at a WSOP Circuit. I thought it would be different, but there really isn't much of a difference. A few things and pointers:

1) When It's your time to post the ante, post the ante first.

2) People tend to defend their BB more, so be prepared for that.

Otherwise, just play your game.

The only actual difference is the ante that you pay is not considered a bet from your stack even though it's only coming from one player and not a little (equal amount) from everyone. I imagine tournaments have rules to deal with first hand shenanigans that might lead to an All In vs All In from the BB/ante. In this situation, in the first hand, a BB/ante player cannot knock out any other player because the BB/ante stack has had the ante removed. At Playground Poker Club in Montreal, they decided that the ante would not start until the second hand. This was a couple of years ago, they may have tweaked the procedure since then, but you get what I'm saying: there may be a weird hand or two, but it's just one person paying an ante for the whole table - once each per orbit.

These dudes both put it well. I second. Or third? IDK, I concur. The BB ante doesn't make a huge difference. But it is a plus live- and it's happening. So play your game and GL :)
:smokin:

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only player who pays the ante is the BB. So, when you're in that position, you pay the big blind twice but only one of them is considered your bet. That means that if you fold every hand preflop you'll lose exactly 2.5 big blinds every round.

Oh cool. I see. Ill have to try one of these. Makes more action because BB will defend with almost anything. BU and SB will try more bigger bet steals to I would think.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just played my first one of these. You'll probably like it. Instead of having to remember to put in a chip every hand, you only put in chips in SB/BB. What ends up happening is you get more relaxed after the blinds pass you, but then you get a little bit more aggressive as you get closer to the blinds. As others have said, the BB gets a little more attached to their hand since it feels like they are already in for 2BB. In reality, they aren't. They are just putting in their ante for the entire orbit of the table.

Poker Tells