Loose players vs tight players / late game behavior changes

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone! I noticed a pattern among the players that should not be new to the more experienced players.
But that I was able to verify with certainty in the last days from my own experience.
I am a LAG player but I confess that I am in the mood to drastically change my style of play to TAG.

Well come on, loose players tend to start playing a lot of hands generating huge pots causing them to become big stack or even quickly fall out of the tournament. But when they arrive in the Late game "final stages" tend to change their behavior, they become passive and even do not get involved in many hands due to the pressure of the prize and also because the field has funneled and generally the strongest players are left that will be pressing and using all their experience.
Meanwhile, the Tight player who spent most of his hands in the early game "early stages" and only taking advantage of good spots with premium hands, will become more aggressive and will take advantage of his image to win many bluffs and preflop pots .
My final conclusion is that mathematically and logically speaking, be TIght, TAG or even "conservative" NIT ´
it is and will always be more profitable.
Because every time a loose player takes a risk at the beginning of the tournament they will only harm him, because besides the chance of being eliminated prematurely his image will be well tarnished in the late game making it difficult to mix his game considering that most sometimes they are all short stacks. so he will depend on external factors to balance his game as it will be difficult to be aggressive and loose with small effective stacks.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
There is no predetermined right or wrong way to play the game. No one strategy you can use to sustain success.

You must learn to play both tight and loose then adjust based on your situation, By situation I mean things like your chipstack, your opponents and their position on your table and time of tournament.

To go deep and win tournaments you must play loose at certain times as you will never get premium holding right through a game. You need to look for those spots where you can pick up a pot with only aggression or with position or with opponent read.

Best of luck

Hello everyone! I noticed a pattern among the players that should not be new to the more experienced players. But that I was able to verify with certainty in the last days from my own experience.
I am a LAG player but I confess that I am in the mood to drastically change my style of play to TAG.

Well come on, loose players tend to start playing a lot of hands generating huge pots causing them to become big stack or even quickly fall out of the tournament. But when they arrive in the Late game "final stages" tend to change their behavior, they become passive and even do not get involved in many hands due to the pressure of the prize and also because the field has funneled and generally the strongest players are left that will be pressing and using all their experience.
Meanwhile, the Tight player who spent most of his hands in the early game "early stages" and only taking advantage of good spots with premium hands, will become more aggressive and will take advantage of his image to win many bluffs and preflop pots .
My final conclusion is that mathematically and logically speaking, be TIght, TAG or even "conservative" NIT ´
it is and will always be more profitable.
Because every time a loose player takes a risk at the beginning of the tournament they will only harm him, because besides the chance of being eliminated prematurely his image will be well tarnished in the late game making it difficult to mix his game considering that most sometimes they are all short stacks. so he will depend on external factors to balance his game as it will be difficult to be aggressive and loose with small effective stacks.

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I switch back and forth from LAG to TAG several times each MTT I play. The exact details of when you should play either is dependent on the table and situation you find yourself in at the moment.

Learn how to play both and switch effortlessly and you will be much more fearsome on the felt. It's always a good thing to keep your opponent guessing.

J

JDolla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play almost exclusively MTT tournaments and personally think it’s important to know how to play both

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I switch back and forth from LAG to TAG several times each MTT I play. The exact details of when you should play either is dependent on the table and situation you find yourself in at the moment.

Learn how to play both and switch effortlessly and you will be much more fearsome on the felt. It's always a good thing to keep your opponent guessing.

This is not + EV my dear. Doing this your range is totally unbalanced. What will hinder both playing for value and bluffing, you can even get lucky sometimes doing this. But you can be sure that it will not favor you in the long run.
Because at the end of the day your tendencies will be noticed by those who use hud and this will not be anything to be feared but exploitable.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Their are a number of book by the top pros, past, and present, that support what you're saying

Take a look at books by Dan Harrington, and Doyle Brunson, to name a few.

Also, take a look at the stats, and you'll quickly see that the top players, are the tight-aggressive players.

Your comments are spot on.

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not + EV my dear. Doing this your range is totally unbalanced. What will hinder both playing for value and bluffing, you can even get lucky sometimes doing this. But you can be sure that it will not favor you in the long run.
Because at the end of the day your tendencies will be noticed by those who use hud and this will not be anything to be feared but exploitable.

Huds ARE the reason I do this. HUDs make it much easier to track long term tendencies and especially against regulars you want to be able to keep them guessing. My natural playstyle is TAG and I work hard to vary that in modern poker but I still lean to TAG. My last 3 months of VPIP were 24-25-25 with AF of 1.7-1.9 for Holdem

I want you looking at your HUD when I am changing up my play because balance comes two ways in poker and I use both

Play different strength hands in the same way.
Play the same strength hand in a different way.

I play 100% MTT/SNG so your milage may vary.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Huds ARE the reason I do this. HUDs make it much easier to track long term tendencies and especially against regulars you want to be able to keep them guessing. My natural playstyle is TAG and I work hard to vary that in modern poker but I still lean to TAG. My last 3 months of VPIP were 24-25-25 with AF of 1.7-1.9 for Holdem

I want you looking at your HUD when I am changing up my play because balance comes two ways in poker and I use both

Play different strength hands in the same way.
Play the same strength hand in a different way.

I play 100% MTT/SNG so your milage may vary.
sim, sim é verdade confunde um pouco mais contra jogadores bem seguros que usam hud na maior parrte das vezes não irá funcionar esta polarização. Eu sou LAG 31/25/13 mas estou pensando em mudar e jogar mais TAG.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a player who is good will be capable of playing any style when the situation calls for it.

It's ultimately all about the magic as far as who wins an MTT on a given day, but good players will create opportunities for themselves. It's about catching dumb players when they shove with crap hands and about stealing pots against overly conservative ones.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
correction translation

sim, sim é verdade confunde um pouco mais contra jogadores bem seguros que usam hud na maior parrte das vezes não irá funcionar esta polarização. Eu sou LAG 31/25/13 mas estou pensando em mudar e jogar mais TAG.
yes, yes it is true it confuses a little more against very safe players who use hud most of the time this polarization will not work. I'm LAG 31/25/13 but I'm thinking about changing and playing more TAGs.

Top 10 Games