live tournament preflop raise

razva_raz94

razva_raz94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys. Every week i'm playing a live low tournament in my city. There are many fishes calling a lot of raises with any cards. Last time i made 3x from UTG with AA and got called by 2 people,one of them was BB and had 25s and flopped a straight.
Should i raise 4-5x preflop with good hands to avoid those situations when i have many callers on the table?

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginning of the tournament a lot of people plays any two because is a blind cheap, you play good, more than 3 bb's you're almost telling that I have aces, kings, queens, AK....
You play good.... So keep playing like that... You'll win more than loose just analyse the players and when u play with that fishes be careful with the bets...
Hope u have better players in your table!

razva_raz94

razva_raz94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks man. I cashed on that tournament :D

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you must bet at least 5bb on the tournament where you know a lot of donks will play. I mean you cant avoid dunks but mybe if you bet 5bb even donks will fold. And watch your position,the position is always important

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if its still early and stacks are deep then raising more is fine 4x to 5x , limit the field and try to play HU vs one opponent where AA will do much better than multiway. If it is a little later into the tournament where stacks are not really deep , 20 bbs avg or so , then I prefer the stand 2x or 3x raise . This sounds more like a spot you got unlucky that played badly tho fyi .

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have a different opinion with AA against fishes: i just call, and then knowing someone is going to rise you move all-in, a real fish almost always pays a 3bet, the worst thing that could happen is 2 or more players pays ( rare to see just happens in open skill league). also, there are some agressive players that uses to try steal blinds betting 3x preferably, if you bet agressive against them, they´re going to fold.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Do you believe in Murphy's Law. (Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.) Aces only win 50 percent of time. Folding the winner about 25 percent of time. that gives you 75 percent of the time. You should fold aces a fourth of the time. If you do'nt the luck with Murphy's Law sets in.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Live tournement ..nice !!! Well if they call to any raise there is nothing you can do lol ..you have to observe your opponents 3bet its fine but if your opponets are fishes 4bet and plus is the right move then is your attitude while you playing you have to be sure about your hand that might work

N

NooBsKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First, it's eary phase? Or late phase? Or how much deep is this situation?
If we are in early phase of tournament you can open 4-5x from UTG assuming you have an active table...if you have a passive table, you can open 3x and it will be correctly. If you are in middle or late phase of tournament, you can open 2x-3x and it's ok...next thing is postflop play...my premise is => the flop was A34r :D

R

Ricardo Morales

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet when you have the goods and don't bluff early on against Fish

If the table was full of donks then you should have raised 5+bbs. If they were real fish they would not even know wtf you were representing.

Postflop DON'T bluff the dunks. You should play straight forward with them since they would want to get down to showdown with top pair no matter what you do. So if you hit the flop strong, play aggressive, bet 1/2 1/3 pot size bets until you get to the river. If on the river you still feel you have the goods, Raise big and extract Max value.

Just pay attention to all players and identify the good strong players, the Weak tights, the Fish, and the LAGS.

Hope this helps good luck on the tables.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you believe in Murphy's Law. (Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.) Aces only win 50 percent of time. Folding the winner about 25 percent of time. that gives you 75 percent of the time. You should fold aces a fourth of the time. If you do'nt the luck with Murphy's Law sets in.
Why are you pulling numbers out of mid air and giving horrible advice?

As for OP, you want to thin the field but, at the same time, you want bad players to call with bad hands when you have AA. That's how you profit off of them. Your preflop raise was good, but if the table is active and have called bigger PFRs, then you can bump it up more to extract good value.

Don't let losing to 25s get to you. It's going to happen at times, but 25s is flopping a straight 1 in 78 times, so you're winning so much against this player in the long run. And if the flop was A34, you have a ~28% to win by the river (if you flopped a set).

Keep notes on player that plays a wide range, including any suited, and extract value from them when you have big hands.

Last edited:
Vadim Kudimov

Vadim Kudimov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the practice I can say that in the early stages, even hand -monstry often lose because of the fish (. But you need raise.

Organize a Home Poker Game