Live poker tournaments and tells

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wondering, for those that play live tournaments, what are you looking for when it comes to tells?

Sometimes, they're pretty obvious. For example, I might know what the player behind me is going to do preflop based on what he is doing with his cards.
-he might be holding them, ready to muck when it gets to him.
-he might put a chip on his card and then pick up just enough to call when it gets to him.
-he counts out a raise prematurely before it gets to him.

Are these tells or just good observations? What about the other players? I try to watch and observe them and their actions but sometimes I feel it's information overload. Is it necessary to try and memorize everyone's body language when they play? I feel i have trouble reading body language at times. Are betting patterns what I should be paying more attention to than physical tells, especially in small buy-in tournaments?

For example, someone who bets out 1/3rd size pots on draws, valuable bets for 1/4th pot size with strong hands or nuts, and over bets pot on straight bluffs.

Im a lot better at memorizing these in players, but how reliable is it?

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If these behaviors are consistant and result in the same end action every time then yes they are tells. Read em and Reap is a good book on live poker tells, as well as Mike Caro's book on tells.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
paying attention to bet sizing in live tourneys and live cash games will sometimes give you valuable information . in all tourneys , however, seats go busted and tables get re arranged , so observing enough hands to generate accurate info about any single player is tough .the larger buyins with longer levels provide better sets of data , but then you may face opponents who know you are watching them , and they might give little away or worse , provide you with false tells .

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tells