Late stage tournament strategy with KK

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise pot , should be about 1100 , that should hopefully limit the villains to 1 or a possible shove . Good place to be all in with KK . How did it turn out .

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you get a KK short stacked and your game study allows it, you play it aggresivelly, which means that possibly you will go all in. So better go all in and good luck!

B

Bodyguard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to raise that limper, but not go crazy. I would bump it up to 850 to 950 and hope someone gets out of line behind you.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
raise/re-raise with KK

Jayplay916

Jayplay916

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad I posted this question because I have this problem always calling hands like this or going all in so the advice is appreciated.

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-in!
All-in is Justice!
miniraise with 20bb is foolish.
coz you can't fold.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with these responses:

They highlight how KK is strong enough that you really don't mind whatever happens if we just raise small, but with some other hand types we sort of prefer to just take it down (or force the all in right here and right now).

From a philosophical standpoint, the whole concept of "short stacked" is a little outdated imo and I think you're trying to also ask the point at which it becomes necessary to choose shove or fold as your only two options. There will probably always be a stack depth where it's mathematically correct to pick one of those two (and not raise smaller), but over time, poker theory has pushed this number first larger and then smaller.

If you look back ~15 years ago, it would be considered crazy to go all in on a 10bb stack with a weak hand because you still have room to play, and you'd probably be doing some limping too. Then 5 years ago it'd be considered sort of weird to do anything other than jam or fold a ~15bb stack. Today, the number has sort of shifted downward. You can find some pretty competent opponents minraising off of 10 and 11bb stacks, and even folding to jams sometimes.

So there's definitely grey area here, but particularly in soft fields, you won't go too wrong playing straight up, and just trying to maximize value with your really good hands, and maximizing fold equity with the rest when you get down to that ~20bb zone.
From GTO theory it is 7 bb where you play push fold at heads up games

T

T_slu4ay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raising 500 and praying some shortstack would shove)

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise or call. Neither is a bad play if he is UTG. I prefer to raise in this spot to deny him being able to play too loosely and you are likely to be a large favourite so it’s good to build the pot.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not shortstack. You can open raise 2x easily and shove against 3bet.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK

This stack is not so bad I did not push all in would expect a raise and a reraise to increase again until he could complete all-in but with the premise of extracting the hand value of maximum.:jd4:

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok tournament of 99 players with 40 left you have 4500 blinds are at 100/200 are you considered short stack at this time? So your dealt KK in 2nd early position 1 caller in front of you what do you do next?

I guess 22 BBs is short stack, but it's not that bad. I doubt you'd be the worst on the table even. I'd probably play it tighter than usual, but mostly shove and try to steal blinds as much as possible. You wouldn't be able to limp into any pots unless you were willing to shove imo

A

Alex330

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your goal with KK in early position preflop is to take control of the pot and gather information about your opponents' hands.

ABC way is to open with a raise.
The ABC way to play this hand is to open with a raise. Raising from early position preflop gives your opponents the impression you have a premium hand.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok tournament of 99 players with 40 left you have 4500 blinds are at 100/200 are you considered short stack at this time? So your dealt KK in 2nd early position 1 caller in front of you what do you do next?
Capture2 He Called :saint: