Just can't reach the finish line

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly micro-low MTT and sit and gos and sometimes medium stakes I've had success in the $30 pko sit and go.. I have won sit and gos 180,90,45 players but in MTT I can never quite get there.. The highest I've made was 35th in the big 11 I must be doing somthing wrong is there somthing I should be changing in my strategy as the tournament gos on ? I can usually make the $$ but I want to get to that final table we're the $$ really feels worth it.

M

mjarom21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the thing about tournament play. If you are concerned with playing your best and making money, it's hard to win a tourney. I've won tournaments where I was making plays that would not be considered premium, only because I was on a "heater". You have to loosen up and just play more hands and become aggressive. Since most people know about that, sitting there and protecting your stack will only work if you get premium hands. A lot of small tools exist for a tourney player to use in situations to pick up dead chips. Those chips could be the difference between being knocked out of a tourney by a cooler and hanging on just long enough to get a heater and win the tourney.

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seeing less succes in MTT's is expected and doesn't necessarily means you are doing something wrong. Due to variance it just takes way more volume to score good finishes regularly.

That said a common problem is for people to tighten too much once in the money. If you find yourself consistently losing with a stack of <10bb it could be that you are getting too scared and not being agressive enough. I recommend using a push fold chart if you are not doing already.

Another cause could be that as the field gets thinner you lose your edge, you are just not as good as the remaining players. Review your losing hands, ask for feedback, always be studying.

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve come to find you have to play a lot more LAG when ITM. You can crack people with small straights when they hit an A with their AK and think top pair is good. It really comes down to breaking out of your chains and mixing up your play.

frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the nuts. Just don't do it all the time.

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Volume is important in mtt grind so look to play as more as your BR allows you.And variance is much much bigger then in sit n go..

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the secret should be that variance is much higher in mtts, at least the obvious one

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed in my play after reading a different post, I would at times when blinds are big forget and call a small raise a couple of times then I notice that my stack is a lot less. Pay closer attention to your blinds relative to your stack size, sure you might have a good many chips. But do what I did and then you have 10bb or less, when not too long ago you had 20 or more.

You are almost pot committed, so you have to bet to let others know you are not folding that hand. If you limp in or min raise then you have just enough chips to justify a fold if someone goes over the top. If you leave yourself really no option but to call, a good player will know that he is playing for all of your chips. Or go all in when the blinds are big and you are getting low on chips.

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Big field tournaments are hard to win. The Big $11 gets many thousands of players. Try playing smaller field tournaments if you want to win more often. First place won't be worth as much, but you can build a bankroll and then take shots at bigger field tournaments.

Always remember, the bigger the field, the higher the variance and the less likely it is you will win.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the tournaments there is more variance, and sometimes you have to be very lucky to reach a final table.I think you should play more aggressive in desicive stages, and the rest is luck.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually the problem you described is people that don't change their style of play and just kind of grind down. You really need to change your style of play when antes start in a tournament. Stay more active rather than wait for premium hands. On a micro I'd be looking to play big pot poker for stacks rather than let people draw against me.

Then name of the game is to stay ahead of the blinds. Perhaps increase your "shove" range to 15-18 bb rather than 10-12 that people normally use.

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally agree with your post. Most of the people fail on the shove they got caught without (Ace high) for example and they lose to High card. Just bigger your stack and start shoving real. Don't play premium cards only start playing your suited connectors aswell .

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The solid players are left after at that point in the tourney.