lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like to get in with 30+ big blinds. Always know the blind structure before signing in late.

N

Nismo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy in a tourney is to buy in only once so I prefer to start a tournament from the beginning and start building my stack from loose playing players taking advantage of a bubble.

I find registering late to cause pressure in trying to catch up with the rest of the field. Though playing large tournies with 2+ hours of late reg gets tiring

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's possible to win a Tournament starting late, but it does put extra pressure on you, depending on your starting stack and how big the blinds are.
I once joined a game when I only had 10 BB to start from and did make the money, but it was all-in or fold every hand until I started to amass a decent amount of chips, but even then it was just too big a mountain to climb.
If I am not able to start a game from the first hand, then generally I try to avoid buying in late, but sometimes it's unavoidable. One game I won a ticket to and was automatically entered into, started at 8.00 pm. but with work commitments and travelling home afterwards, I was late starting and had to sit out for the first 90 minutes, needless to say it didn't go too well.
But Hey! Ho! that's how it goes,

When the fun Stops, STOP!

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not train your push-fold from 20-25bb. Especially if the result of doubling guarantees you getting into the prize zone.
Of course, if this is a tournament, not a satellite. Satellites are best played from the beginning.

D

dengamingdash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious what everybody's thoughts are on playing a tournament but starting 45 minutes after it started and 15 minutes remaining until registration ends. obviously you will be joining with a limited amount of chips compared to the size of the blinds when you start. obviously you wouldn't want to start a tournament so late that you have 10,000 chips starting and the blinds are 1,000-2,000.. but I'm curious if you are starting with 10,000 chips what's the latest you'll play? 200 - 400... 300 - 600... 500 - 1,000... what's everybody's thoughts? Also maybe if they have add on break if that affects your decision?

I prefer to register before a tournament starts. If the late registration is already in progress, I would choose to join in as long as, for example, blinds in a tournament with the starting stack of 3000 are 50/100, or 75/150. That would be my latest entry. If blinds are beyond that, I don't see much sense in spending money to enter because at that point, to grow your stack you would need not skill, but to gamble and hope for good flops. :)

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you enjoy playing or are looking for experience and practice join as early as possible to get the most play for your buy in.

If your time is better invested elsewhere I'd want 15-20 BBs minimum to have a realistic shot of stealing some blinds and finding a good double up spot to run it up.

adamla001

adamla001

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Hello!
it was already that I was able to register at the last minute of the 45-minute late entry, yet I was successful first.
I think you need not only knowledge but also a lot of luck in a race

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think there are a few things that you have to consider first, with what intent do you want to play itm or do you go for the final table. If you only play for ITM then you have to consider how many are still in the tournament and how many hands you will probably have to play until you are ITM. But if you're playing for ft then you'd better not go into the tournament too late. although I have to say that I made it to the ft a few times from the late reg myself. But if you only go into a tournament at the end of the late reg, then the pressure is much higher and you have to be even more careful not to make any mistakes. You just have to find out for yourself what fits best. For some it is better if they join a tournament very early and for others it is better if they go in very late

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are my opinion:

1. Hyper (3 mins blinds)- Start at the very first level.
2. Turbo (5 mins blinds)- You can start at 1/4 of the overall time.
3. Normal (8 to 12 mins blinds)- You can start at 1/2 of the overall time

D

DeeRack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's been my experience that I cash out more often when I I start when the tournament begins rather than registering late.

weralomos

weralomos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's been my experience that I cash out more often when I I start when the tournament begins rather than registering late.

What statistics do you have for such conclusions?
100 tournaments, maybe 1000 tournaments 10000 tournaments?

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I look at 2 things, starting stack vs. current BB. I wouldn't want to start with less than 20-25bb and that's pushing it. How many chips the last player paid has vs. starting stack. I don't want to start with the last person in a itm position to have more than double my stack.

Bambini7777

Bambini7777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if it is a rebuy tournament, then even at the end of late registration it is normal to participate in the tournament.

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always from the beginning. I think this is a huge plus. With the smallest blinds, you can play more hands. And you have a good chance to double or triple.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am to play that tournament, I would see if I have a rebuy option first, second I wouldnt reg if I am to get less than 20 BB, so to answer ur question 250/500 would be my threshold

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
enter the tournament at the end of registration and try to double up.

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
late

I like to play frrerolls and I never enter in for the first 15 min . because it is always an allin merithon in the begining.

Goku55

Goku55

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how much you want to gamble, I’d suggest having at least 15-20 BB’s when you enter. But playing with deep stacked people you can take advantage of small raises that make it hard for an opponent to fold to an all in if you pickup a good hand and you can ladder. I personally like playing more hands and having to opportunity to double early on by outplaying opponents, but it’s all personal preference.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play well, read your hands well and have patience then it pays to get into the beginning of the tournament, but if you don't have a lot of patience and have a lot of money and like to risk two or three hands to be in the money then it pays to enter with up to 10BB chips in the late afternoon.

It all depends on the point of view!!!:)

Bennoda

Bennoda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes like to enter late registration in tournaments from the age of 20-25, only this is a push-fold game I'm interested in, although it's a coin in fact, but it's a position game, turbo and hyper turbo are more difficult

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Entering a tournament at the beginning you will have to play more hands, by the end of the late registration you will have hands to play and the probability of being eliminated is greater because your al-inn will certainly be paid more, because you will have few chips

xXFelaXx

xXFelaXx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer to get in the first couple of minutes, sometimes the add on are not enough

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stack size should be around 30BB at the time of registration. Anything shorter than that gives very little scope for playing decently wide range.

regata123

regata123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious what everybody's thoughts are on playing a tournament but starting 45 minutes after it started and 15 minutes remaining until registration ends. obviously you will be joining with a limited amount of chips compared to the size of the blinds when you start. obviously you wouldn't want to start a tournament so late that you have 10,000 chips starting and the blinds are 1,000-2,000.. but I'm curious if you are starting with 10,000 chips what's the latest you'll play? 200 - 400... 300 - 600... 500 - 1,000... what's everybody's thoughts? Also maybe if they have add on break if that affects your decision?
I think late registration is not so bad . When you register late , you need to use the M5 strategy according to Harrington , it is with the number of M5 chips to go all-in .