I've noticed a change in strategy

T

twiztedtony

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone else noticed this. That the game of tournaments have become pretty much a stealing contest until the late reg is over. Then small amount of real poker until the bingo portion starts. If I'm incorrect please show me.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone else noticed this. That the game of tournaments have become pretty much a stealing contest until the late reg is over. Then small amount of real poker until the bingo portion starts. If I'm incorrect please show me.

Stealing is more valuable in the late stages when the blinds and antes represent a high % of the starting stack.

In the early stages being able to either cooler people for big pots or blow them off with multiple barrels (build a big pot to win it later) is often what will be the best approach.

Because people are more willing to gamble during the rebuy period you can pick up a lot of chips by just playing superior cards and getting it in vs people who want to gamble too much.

F

Fernet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is true

I think I agree with you, in the 3 stages, very little real poker, it shows a lot in the freerolls, it is a Russian roulette, there are clowns who go all in with 43of and beat you hahaha, that's why I want to be able to play the freerolls from cardschat

T

twiztedtony

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's totally bingo now. Apposed to real poker. Can we petition for real poker again?

Thefish87

Thefish87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think ever since the boom the cards have coming very differently

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It may be the tables you are at, as each table plays differently (especially early). Some have multiple limpers every hand, often with 5 of 9 players seeing most flops. Other tables are all in fests, until the crazies get knocked out (usually doesn't take long). Then you have a couple high stackers trying to dominate every hand. Some tables have an even mix of tight players vs loose players.

After a while, things level out and something similar to poker gets played. Depending on the rate of blind increase, it can return to a more chaotic jam fest if blinds start to kill of the lower chip stacks.

This variety is one of the challenges of large MTTs. You have to change your game to combat the people at your table, their aggression, and their stack sizes to blinds. Just when you start to feel comfortable, you get moved to another table.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What I've been seeing is bingo playing in the early stages with lots of big bets or shoves. It's almost as if they lack the patience to get to the later stages where the blinds are much higher and pre-flop 3 and 4 bets start the ball rolling on stealing.

At first I thought some pro had put out a new book or video that encouraged bluffing big in the early stages to build a bankroll. There's no book/video I know of but I think these players actually see this early bingo play as a strategy. Bang the pot with almost any two cards...if you hit the board in any way be willing to bet big or shove. If you lose it's no big deal because you were the big brave poker player so your ego is happy. If you win then you're the really smart poker player who now has lots of chips.

T

twiztedtony

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now this is updated as the rona has changed poker

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips

That's what I have notice too . Most are going allin with just gutshot or 1 pair in the early stage to build a very big stack or go bust. The stealing is best for later stage when the blinds are massive.

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT

I have noticed that it is really important to stack up early in tournaments to have more chance of winning them. You have to know which hands to be aggresive with and cant be either too loose or too tight.

jirasuonna

jirasuonna

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is particularly bad when there is a free roll/cheap tournament that a lot of people sign up for and then don't show up for or show up late for. 2 or 3 people end up fighting for the dead blinds. Particularly when the live players are bunched up and the person on the left can min raise with impunity to steal the blinds.

AndyGamesPoker

AndyGamesPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stealing is more valuable in the late stages when the blinds and antes represent a high % of the starting stack.

In the early stages being able to either cooler people for big pots or blow them off with multiple barrels (build a big pot to win it later) is often what will be the best approach.

Because people are more willing to gamble during the rebuy period you can pick up a lot of chips by just playing superior cards and getting it in vs people who want to gamble too much.

I agree with Evan, but it is tough playing at the micros. I agree with everyone on here people don't seem to respect the game properly at the lower levels. I can't wait to have tbe roll I need to play more serious games.

Maybe its just me but it seems to largely be a microstakes/freeroll issue.