ITM tournaments blinds too high

S

spider9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how to play when I'm going deep in a tourney and blinds are so high. Shall I stick with my normal game or just wait for a really good hand and go all in

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normal strategy is to start tight and open up closer to itm.
When you are suffering from high blinds, you're probably short stacked.
Have a look at push-fold charts.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should vary your play based on the relative stack sizes. The smallest stack in the hand determines the relative stack size. As the stacks get under 30BB or so suited connectors go down in value and high cards go up in value. Under 10BB push/fold/call charts can be useful.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check out Floattheturn.com. It has push/fold charts you can follow which will give you a good idea of what to play. Don't follow it blindly though. You'll have to adjust for the opponents behind you. Generally this is one of the easiest positions to play in poker. You are either getting all your money in, or you're folding. You can also try limping in early position with marginally strong hands if your opponents aren't too aggressive. I tend to just fold in these spots though.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As your stack get shorter its not always about big hands. Its hard to make a big hand and you will need to open up your risk levels more, If you have Aks and are 150 bb deep and flop top pair and the other player is trying to get his stack with raises and re-re-raises all in it is likely you are beat and want to fold. When you are getting deep in the tournament with 25 or less BB you will want to play for all your chips. Also late you will need to push all in with hands you may not want to earlier in the tournament preflop. say you have 17BB and the cut off raises to 2.5 BB you may want to 3bet all in with AJs as jet the blind antes and his raise alone will net you a lot of chips if he folds or better still you more than double up.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the blinds are too high in ratio to your stack you may be in a push/fold situation. Personally if I have 15 or less bigs I’m shoving preflop when blinds are high. If blinds are creeping up on you often you may want to open up a little bit in position, and card selection needs to be less picky. You don’t want to just blind off your stack. Sometimes we have to have take a risk and hopefully reap the rewards. In position aggressive play is highly successful, and/ or shove against a player that’s been stealing a lot , you can resteal some pots. Collecting the Blinds and antes add up deep.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how to play when I'm going deep in a tourney and blinds are so high. Shall I stick with my normal game or just wait for a really good hand and go all in

Not necessarily. To stay ahead of the blinds you should be MUCH more active than early on. It also depends on your stack size, you want to Play according to your stack size.

Big stacks with over 30 BB's should play aggressively and make use of blind-steals, squeeze play and bluffing. You need to bully small stacks sitting on the blinds and don’t be afraid to call them down pre-flop when you’ve got a marginal hand like suited connectors or high Ace.

Mid stack players with a stack between 15-30 BB's need to play slightly tighter than a deep stack but still bully small stack players take advantage of other tight players in the same position. You shouldn’t be pre-flop shoving so much from early position without quality hands, but stealing and re-stealing is still really important. Most action should come from mid-late position and very importantly you need to avoid becoming pot-committed against deep stack opponents. There are more cost effective ways to build chips then getting into pre-flop coinflips vs chip leader.

Small stacks check out apps live snap shove and work on your push/fold charts.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
in these cases I am more selective and careful with what I play, always trying to make my normal game, it is not easy to be in that situation, but I think you can get a little advantage if you have good reading of your opponents

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think we expect a good hand we always do it and especially in desperate moments, in this type of situation like yours I try to wait for a good hand to try to double or increase my stack, if I succeed I try to make my normal game and deal to take advantage of the opportunities that come my way to continue increasing my stack

F

FaritGaripov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often i play like a fish with deep stack :( its my big problem! Maybe i can play better if i fix that problem)

S

spider9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks!

Thank you so much everybody for your replies I hope more could learn a little bit also from this thread

I

iceiceice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should look into push/shove charts. You'll be surprised how wide you should be shoving when stacks are less than 10bbs.

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play by stacks all the way :)

Have a gameplan in your head or written down beside you untill you learn it.
Knowing what to do when your deep or shallow stacked, early and lategame
is essential for your succes.

Good luck ;)

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should definitely adjust your style to play with and against different stacks in relation to the blinds and all other stacks at the table. Your's and your opponents' stack sizes affect your fold equity, implied odds and more.
I've never used push/fold charts, to me they seem a great way to copy someone's style but not give you any edge over them. I'd suggest researching the independent chip model (ICM) so you can understand why to push or fold instead of just when, I believe this will give you an edge over everyone who relies on charts they found for free on the internet.