Is it profitable to play rebuy tournaments?

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Friends having a say about rebuy tournaments? One of the online sites where I play 90% of tournaments are buyback. The starting stack is 5000 points, but when an eliminated player makes his rebuy he gets a stack of 20,000 points. In my opinion it is not ideal because in the initial phase of the tournament most people play any hand only to lose and then buy back. What would be your opinion?

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's only truly profitable, if you're the last man standing as the winner. Other than that, how long is a piece of string type question...

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like rebay. I try not to play such tournaments. Early stage is worse than Freeroll :cool:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
For me, rebuy tournaments are not profitable to play. Especially when they give an even greater amount for the purchase than initially. The game turns out like in a lottery.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to be with the mindset of I'm going keep buying in and taking the add on. Otherwise, just play a freeze out. Don't see why logistically these are not profitable? All the buyins go towards the prize pool. If your buying in 5 times and cash, it should be profitable. If you're not allocating time or money for a rebuy format, sure it isn't profitable.

Last league tournament session I played was a rebuy. There were overlays and bonus for top three. Was most profitable session that year for me. Just have to hang in there, take the add on then it is on.

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rebuy gives you the desire to play more hands so that you are more vulnerable and more likely to lose because you know you can return to the game if you lose everything. I don't particularly like it much.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think it depends. If you don't go crazy buying and repurchasing, I think a repurchase is fine. It has happened to me several times that I had to make a repurchase and then I was able to get to the collections and recover the investment and earn more money. A second chance is always good ahah

Last edited by a moderator:
tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I often play rebyuy tournaments and may say,yes it s profitable.I use up to 3 rebuys.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it is profitable to play only those games that bring you profit. If rebuy tournaments are good for you, then you need to play them. This is an individual question.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont like rebuy tournaments and if I play in it I use rebuy option extremely rare

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't like rebuy tournaments, but I did it a few times and didn't lose money. But I think when there are unlimited rebuys, the games os very crazy in the beginning. There are people shoving all the time, like a massive freeroll. You need a looot of patience to play this kind of game.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, if re buying is actually part of you bankroll management.. for sure it's profitable.
It's not on mine though, when I lose I lose and that's it, get ready to another tournament and try to forget what happened. But I've got couple friends that are quite profitable rebuying

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Friends having a say about rebuy tournaments? One of the online sites where I play 90% of tournaments are buyback. The starting stack is 5000 points, but when an eliminated player makes his rebuy he gets a stack of 20,000 points. In my opinion it is not ideal because in the initial phase of the tournament most people play any hand only to lose and then buy back. What would be your opinion?

I love rebuy tournaments!

They give you a chance to build a stack when people are playing loose and splashy, and if those lucky players get you you can always buy more chips!

My strategy with them is to buy in and always take the addon. If the rebuy is the same amount of chips as the addon I will usually rebuy once at the beginning too.

If I ever lose my chips I will always rebuy because no matter what the blind level in a tournament, if you are a winning player then you will have a positive ROI. The only question is whether to single rebuy or double rebuy and that depends on the amount of chips you get for a rebuy vs the amount of chips you get for an addon.

Hope that helps! It is a really great format, and it's nice to guarantee you will still be in the field when 25-30% of the field is gone before the addon. That's when the real tournament starts.

And if you really hate the rebuy period... then just register late, take the addon, and play it like a freezeout! :playingba

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, if re buying is actually part of you bankroll management.. for sure it's profitable.
It's not on mine though, when I lose I lose and that's it, get ready to another tournament and try to forget what happened. But I've got couple friends that are quite profitable rebuying

This is a good strategy as well, it's very valuable to stick with your plan.

If you find that you only like to play tournaments from the first level with deep stacks then this works.

The being said, even if not re-buying I have found that it's important to be willing to take the add-on in these events because you often get more chips than the starting stack for the same price.

My 2 cents anyway :D

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have to be with the mindset of I'm going keep buying in and taking the add on. Otherwise, just play a freeze out. Don't see why logistically these are not profitable? All the buyins go towards the prize pool. If your buying in 5 times and cash, it should be profitable. If you're not allocating time or money for a rebuy format, sure it isn't profitable.

Last league tournament session I played was a rebuy. There were overlays and bonus for top three. Was most profitable session that year for me. Just have to hang in there, take the add on then it is on.

111% Agree with this approach to rebuys!

There is even more profitability because the re-buys are not raked and that's some pennies saved = pennies earned stuff!

DTaboada

DTaboada

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you play focused, rebay games are good opportunity to raise your stack from players that not play seriously. I like rebay tournaments.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I don’t feel it’s profitable for me because it’s normally in the later stages of the tournament where I’m looking to rebuy. I find
blinds are high I blind out quickly and eventually have to shove with unconventional hands.

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lol it's not profitable if the rebuys come after losing your stack I've rebought late in the game when close to being in the money for an add on to my existing stack. Just make sure you're playing in a tournament that offers a break rebuy

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are right I although do not like rebay tournements ,they spent more time and many players play too loose ,that could mean in each hand you had to call an all in thats not so funny and is no poker ,the server make this tournements because they got more money on rake and they can give a higher garantie prize pool ,but in higher by ins it get better not so many rebays

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every rebuy is just the same as buyin in to a new tournament. Whether you busted out of it already or not doesn't change anything. Whether or not it's profitable depends on if it's the type of tournament where you should expect to have a positive roi (return of investment). If the answer is yes then you should rebuy as much as possible. If you don't expect to have a positive roi then you shouldn't buy in. A slightly simpler explanation would be make sure you play tournament where you expect to make money over time and as long as you expect to make money play as many tournaments as possible

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are right I although do not like rebay tournements ,they spent more time and many players play too loose ,that could mean in each hand you had to call an all in thats not so funny and is no poker ,the server make this tournements because they got more money on rake and they can give a higher garantie prize pool ,but in higher by ins it get better not so many rebays
Just play tight. Have patience. Wait for a monster hand bet it big. There's always someone in those tournaments that's just dying to give you their stack. Forget trying to get value for your marginal hands. Don't worry about trying to get paid off with top pair. Keep as much of your chips out of pots until you're looking at sets or better than you bomb the pot. Someone will be there waiting to pay off your hand

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
a game with one rebuy is normal. If the rebuys are unlimited, be prepared to fork out and not get prizes. This is the worst and most frequent occurrence in the rebuy game.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not profitable for me and I try not to play in such tournaments. But these tournaments are profitable for sites. Attracting players supposedly to a tournament with a small buy-in, in fact, force players to spend extra money.

B

barags

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was never profitable for me so im avoiding them at all cost lol