An inexpensive and very long tournament

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yesterday, on 888, I participated in a knockout tournament for $ 16.5, the tournament started at 17.30 my local time, since I am not a tournament player, I thought it would last for 2 hours, it would end, dinner time and after that I had to go to the store, but.. at 22 30, after 5 hours I flew out for some 20 (earned $17), I had 3 knockouts ($14) as a result, I earned $ 15 While I never had dinner, but had a snack at the computer, I didn't go to the store, I had a headache from sitting for 5 hours in a row in one place, I have a question - is it worth $15 to spend 5 hours of time, isn't it better to play cash or just an expensive tournament, so that when you get into the prizes you know what you spent your time for?

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to play fast tournament games you choose the turbo if you want 3-5 hours only less than 3 hours a better choice is hyper-turbo (super-turbo in 888, currently no game), but down side is variance is very high.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to play fast tournament games you choose the turbo if you want 3-5 hours only less than 3 hours a better choice is hyper-turbo (super-turbo in 888, currently no game), but down side is variance is very high.
I concluded for myself that I would only play turbo tournaments, and since I can't afford tournaments with an expensive buy-in, I'd rather play in satellites for expensive tournaments than participate in such

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The more players that participate in the tournament, the less likely it is to reach the final table. To sit these 5 hours and understand that I can do it. Not everyone can do this, because there are players who will sit for 3 hours and +e-+ begin to put on incomprehensible cards. Perseverance in MTTs, especially in such long tournaments, is very important. I played the longest tournament in the room 888 - 7.5 hours freeroll, for a $109 ticket I got to 37th place.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yesterday, on 888, I participated in a knockout tournament for $ 16.5, the tournament started at 17.30 my local time, since I am not a tournament player, I thought it would last for 2 hours, it would end, dinner time and after that I had to go to the store, but.. at 22 30, after 5 hours I flew out for some 20 (earned $17), I had 3 knockouts ($14) as a result, I earned $ 15 While I never had dinner, but had a snack at the computer, I didn't go to the store, I had a headache from sitting for 5 hours in a row in one place, I have a question - is it worth $15 to spend 5 hours of time, isn't it better to play cash or just an expensive tournament, so that when you get into the prizes you know what you spent your time for?

Some of these tournaments can go very long and I know how you feel. I have played several that have gone longer that 8 hours over the years. Is it worth it or better to play cash? That is really about you as a player. Me personally, it is about winning the big ones. I can win $15.00 and be thrilled beating out 3000+ players more than winning in a cash game. Its just my preference.

T

Tato Ivan

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never play long tournaments, not because I get bored quickly, but because I don't have that much time. Therefore, after spending 2-4 hours at the table, I fully satisfy my needs for a pleasant pastime.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play anything anymore that lasts more than 4 hours. Satellites can be frustrating . With more than 2000 players and 10 prizes? I'd like to know how many you have to play to win. And then you still have only a ticket. Rather save some money and enter with small buy-ins.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some of these tournaments can go very long and I know how you feel. I have played several that have gone longer that 8 hours over the years. Is it worth it or better to play cash? That is really about you as a player. Me personally, it is about winning the big ones. I can win $15.00 and be thrilled beating out 3000+ players more than winning in a cash game. Its just my preference.
it's probably not a question of money for you, it's certainly cool to beat several thousand people and take first place, but I'm sure that 99% of players play in order to earn some money, the question of a rational time-money ratio in poker

slevinzed

slevinzed

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u have to get used... u have to learn how to be patient(y)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
it's probably not a question of money for you, it's certainly cool to beat several thousand people and take first place, but I'm sure that 99% of players play in order to earn some money, the question of a rational time-money ratio in poker
You are correct its not a question of the money but its nice to win the cash as well. Overall I play for the thrill of the victory. I think your 100% accurate about most of the other players.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In tournaments, it is difficult to say in advance how long they will last, but even with hyper turbos it can take around 3 hours and then it is still very fast compared to normal or turbos, it usually takes a little longer, it also depends on how many people are in the tournament. I don't know whether you're better off in cash because there you have the advantage that you can simply leave the table if you feel like it, but the profit from cash is probably not as high as from tournaments. I like to play both and have also played tournaments that lasted longer than 10 to 11 hours. When playing a tournament, you should have done things like shopping or preparing food beforehand because it usually takes longer than you thought. I don't like playing poker when I know that I still have a few things to do because then I'm usually a bit unfocused and quickly lose my focus

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is due to the fact that you played only 1 table - this is such a disappointment, try to play 4-5 tables constantly and stop paying attention to this + there will be an opportunity to earn more money

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I concluded for myself that I would only play turbo tournaments, and since I can't afford tournaments with an expensive buy-in, I'd rather play in satellites for expensive tournaments than participate in such
Consider to late register . Some rooms allow 2 hours late registration

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
000279 2022 08 11 14 56 5000 Big Shot 11

I just take a look at 888, this tournament is 3 hours late registration.
I don't think coming in with 10 BB is enough for "fun factor" but I guess after 2 hours u have still a good stake

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi vardann,
5 hours is already a long time and the 3$ profit is indeed not much. If you had fun at the tournament it was of course worth it. However, if you want to make more profit, the earnings were very little. I can also recommend cash games, but for more profit several tables.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi vardann,
5 hours is already a long time and the 3$ profit is indeed not much. If you had fun at the tournament it was of course worth it. However, if you want to make more profit, the earnings were very little. I can also recommend cash games, but for more profit several tables.
hi, yes, it's better to play cash on a couple of tables than to sit for 5 hours for 10-15 dollars

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know what you mean. Sometimes I play hours in a tournament to not even win the double of the buy in. I don't have much time to play, so, nowadays I only choose turbo tournaments that I know I'm only going to play 5 hours if I reach the final table at least.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know what you mean. Sometimes I play hours in a tournament to not even win the double of the buy in. I don't have much time to play, so, nowadays I only choose turbo tournaments that I know I'm only going to play 5 hours if I reach the final table at least.
after all, experience is an important thing, if I got to the finals there, it would be another +2 hours, definitely I will also play only in turbo tournaments, it was lucky for me, there were guys who dropped out after 4 hours without reaching the prizes, making buy-ins and flying out with KK or AA, as I wrote above, this is a complete disappointment:)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all we should always know, what we sign up for. And if we only want to play for 2 hours, that will exclude anything but cash games, SnGs, ticket rewarding turbo satellites and hyperturbo MTTs. The second point is, we should not be playing MTTs to min-cash. Spending 5 hours to win 15$ is not a good hourly winrate, but maybe the winner of that 16,5$ MTT took home 1.000$, and the runner-up 700$, and these big cashes are, what we should mainly be playing MTTs for. Which brings me to the final point, which is, that we should be multitabling. If we fire up 4 MTTs at around the same time, we will not be spending 5 hours just to min-cash in one of them, and we quadrouble our chances of reaching one of the top spots, where we can get ourselfes a real payday.

O

odonob

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that a lot of these and freerolls run too long. One major issue is the length of the time bank. No need for every player to have a 60 second or more time bank in hand. This should be 30 seconds max. Too bad if you are away from the table. 4 plus hours for a freeroll is too long in my opinion.

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Yes it isn't nice. You need to play on more tables at the same time or play a more expensive tournament at one table. I don't want to play 5 hours for 15 $ too.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all we should always know, what we sign up for. And if we only want to play for 2 hours, that will exclude anything but cash games, SnGs, ticket rewarding turbo satellites and hyperturbo MTTs. The second point is, we should not be playing MTTs to min-cash. Spending 5 hours to win 15$ is not a good hourly winrate, but maybe the winner of that 16,5$ MTT took home 1.000$, and the runner-up 700$, and these big cashes are, what we should mainly be playing MTTs for. Which brings me to the final point, which is, that we should be multitabling. If we fire up 4 MTTs at around the same time, we will not be spending 5 hours just to min-cash in one of them, and we quadrouble our chances of reaching one of the top spots, where we can get ourselfes a real payday.
simultaneous play in several tournaments is a very good offer, you can't argue here, with all the ensuing chances of winning and on an hourly win rate, I'll try this option, I think it should work, and about the first and second places-yes, in this case we can say that the game was worth the time spent and forces, but the chances of getting into the top 2 out of several hundred players are very small, even for the most disciplined player
I think that a lot of these and freerolls run too long. One major issue is the length of the time bank. No need for every player to have a 60 second or more time bank in hand. This should be 30 seconds max. Too bad if you are away from the table. 4 plus hours for a freeroll is too long in my opinion.

but sometimes I don't have enough 30 seconds to go and get a bottle of water, I miss the hands and sometimes it happens with very strong cards

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typically turbos have less time allocation for players, so if you want faster action, maybe play them. I have done pretty well is regular speed MTTs and dont mind them, when I have enough time, but I am coming more and more around to prefering faster formats. After playing a lot of turbo SnGs even the hyperturbo MTTs on pokerstars dont feel that crazy to me, and you dont need to reserve a time slot of 6-7 hours to enter them. They also tend to play more hands per hour, which to some extend negate the effect of the faster rising blinds. This is both because of shorter time banks, but also because many of them run in the 6-max or 7-max format as opposed to 8-max or the traditional 9-max.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I do play in a long tourney it is because I won a ticket in a freeroll. Unfortunately when you gain entry that way it is often not possible to late register so if you do well in the tourney you sit for too long.