I'd Like to Hear your Opinion On this

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm playing in a tournament with about 100 players remaining, the top 50 get paid. Im in 75th place with a middle stack left and I am in the UTG position and am dealt pair of 77. It is a full 9 man table. Whats the proper play?

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that is just depends on your position and how many big blinds if you have 15 BB or less from the UTG then it's either a fold or a shove.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
i'm playing in a tournament with about 100 players remaining, the top 50 get paid. Im in 75th place with a middle stack left and I am in the UTG position and am dealt pair of 77. It is a full 9 man table. Whats the proper play?

Depends on your stack size and blinds structure. And how tight is your table, what's your and others VPIP? Maybe push with 10 bbs or less, maybe limp, min raise or even fold and hope for a better hand in better position.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on your stack size and blinds structure. And how tight is your table, what's your and others VPIP? Maybe push with 10 bbs or less, maybe limp, min raise or even fold and hope for a better hand in better position.

Hi Victor,
I would be playing with a middle stack at this point. I think its a tricky situation

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think limping might be a good choice if you have more than 10bb. with less than 10 bb its either all in or fold.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold and wait for better cards and position

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every gto chart I've ever seen it's usually a raise. Even at 15bb it's still just a raise. A min raise isn't a bad way to go in my opinion. If someone 3 bets you a ton, you can always fold. Pocket 7's certainly are not a premium hand. However, preflop you're ahead in equity to even hands like AK suited. If they miss, you can indeed win.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, first, NEVER limp in this spot UTG. You're pricing everyone else in that might want to see a flop with a speculative hand (or better). Then what happens if you get raised by one (or more) opponents? You've just wasted 1 blind, and if it's a turbo, where levels go up quick, that's VERY valuable chips you've just lost.

You don't really say specifically how many big blinds you have (saying you have a middle of the road stack could mean anything really - would appreciate some additional details).

You're most likely raising here, and that's dependent on the table you're playing at, what your opponents' stats are, and what their chip stacks are and how they are playing specifically against aggression. The good news here is, there's no ICM or Money Bubble to be concerned with, so you don't have to be as tight.

Just curious, how many big blinds did you have anyway in this scenario?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Options - If you are going to play this hand its either a min raise for pot control so that you can get away if you are jammed against or if there is a multi way raise/jam or alternatively - you jam it all in.
My play - I personally dont like the raise given your position and stack size, if i am playing it (and with 77 i probably would not given the information you have provided) i am jamming.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everybody for the replies. Given I diidnt say how many blinds I had (17), your answers were a wealth of information. Tremendous stuff!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold or limp or raise all be the right play
it depends more on what everybody else wakes up with
if you raise 2.56x and everyone folds then that was the right play
If you shove and get called by 22 then that was the right play
if you get called by 88's+ than bad play

if the table is loose
i'd fold the 7s utg
fyi a pair of 7s kinda sucks
flip city

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting.

Villain skill level and aggression tendencies play a large factor in our UTG ranges at this stage.
Stack sizes also play a large part as when we raise this can so easily go multiway with us not being able to realize our full equity as we will seldom have position on everyone. Also other stacks can shove over our raise and we have to preplan who do we call when they shove and who do we fold to. You want to have that strat in mind before you open 77.

As we have 8 players left to act the only way to realize full equity is to shove preflop but we are shoving a mid pair into 8 players so we will most often be called in a flip situation or worse. If we have a table skill advantage we want to avoid flip spots with a mid-stack.

So a rule of thumb is: when we are a mid-stack that is when we have to play with the most caution. If our options are shove or fold then our position forces us to lean to fold unless our V are overly tight which vs the whole table is very unlikely.

Hope this helps
:):)

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with small pair its either shove all in, or fold. small pairs don't play well post flop. and now I see you had 17 big blinds, definitely a shove

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for providing 3 different scenarios AKQ.

if the table is loose
i'd fold the 7s utg
flip city

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Memphis, you've helped me before and its always good advice
with small pair its either shove all in, or fold. small pairs don't play well post flop. and now I see you had 17 big blinds, definitely a shove

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice Eetenor,

Love that rule of thumb thing. Makes decision making alot easier
Thank you for posting.

Villain skill level and aggression tendencies play a large factor in our UTG ranges at this stage.
Stack sizes also play a large part as when we raise this can so easily go multiway with us not being able to realize our full equity as we will seldom have position on everyone. Also other stacks can shove over our raise and we have to preplan who do we call when they shove and who do we fold to. You want to have that strat in mind before you open 77.

As we have 8 players left to act the only way to realize full equity is to shove preflop but we are shoving a mid pair into 8 players so we will most often be called in a flip situation or worse. If we have a table skill advantage we want to avoid flip spots with a mid-stack.

So a rule of thumb is: when we are a mid-stack that is when we have to play with the most caution. If our options are shove or fold then our position forces us to lean to fold unless our V are overly tight which vs the whole table is very unlikely.

Hope this helps
:):)

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think to say it's the wrong play if villain had a better pair is too results oriented. It's no different than if villain had 22 other than you're crushing 2's and crushed by 8's.

if the table is loose
i'd fold the 7s utg
flip city

If you're at a 9-handed table in early position, with 17 blinds, now that we know how big hero's stack is, I'm probably folding the majority of the time. There's too many hands to get through to see a flop without the possibility of either multiple people calling or somebody 3-betting. 6 handed table, it's playable even UTG.

I agree that 77 is usually in a coinflip, and that's the best you can hope for. So then you have to ask yourself "Do I want to gamble right here and now? Or do I wait for a better spot, in later position to apply pressure instead?"

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In such a situation, especially if there is a bubble stage, it is better to narrow the range with an average stack, especially from an early position.