I can't figure this out. Opinions please.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are very complicated reasons for my answer, but he should have AA- QQ, or a hand that has no equity at all in the pot like J,2 offsuit or 9, 3 offsuit.

Ironically it doesnt matter because the appropriate thing to do is fold either way. If he has AA-QQ you are dead, and if he has a hand with no pot equity, you will be getting no impied odds to call, because you will not get a dime on or after the flop.
His bet indicates that for you to make an equitable call, presuming he is astute and believes you are also, then his bet was actually a work of art. Higher pockets and you would push, so if you just call he knows you have low pockets, which means he can out play the flop.
The reason for why he could be playing garbage there is to balance strategy for when he does get a big hand in the big blind. It wouldnt be his first time making a raise from the BB, and likely to receive action.

See raising from the blind generally doesnt get any action, so if you do it once or twice, you can player larger hands stealthily from those positions later. By balancing in this way, folks will put you on the above. garbage or AA-QQ.

This is very advanced level poker, and I dont give most credit for this level of meta game play. Therefor he probably had AA-QQ. Regardless fold.

I like his play and hope you folded. I probably add him to a beware list, and see if his play warrants more scrutiny.

Did this all make sense?

Bill

I found your post very nicely written and a pleasure to read. I just have one question: why do you assume the opponent was an astute player? The hero just limped from middle position, so he signaled weakness to opportunistic players, especially the aggressive and inexperienced ones. Of course, it is possible that an astute player would do exactly everything you have described, but at any given table what is the probability to encounter an astute player in comparison to an inexperienced straight forward aggressive player?

subluchuk

subluchuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There may be a logical answer to this question and I would appreciate some brain storming from all experience levels.

Midway through a MTT
Blinds are $50/$100
1st two to act fold.
You limp in from middle position with 5,5. and a slightly above average stack of $3000 (please refrain from comments on whether or not you should do this).
The Cut-Off and Button fold as does the Small Blind.
The Big Blind ($2000) raises to $600 making it $500 to you.
This is a huge bet for such a small pot.

You know your pair is an underdog only to a higher pair.
What does or should this bet mean? Or, if it's a steal attempt, what is being represented? Under what conditions would this bet be appropriate. This is no isolation bet as you are the only possible caller.

Based on your answer, how do you proceed?
No reason to get involved here with about 20 % of ur chips.No matter if villain is making a move on u what he most of the time does not.Just fold.And next time open raise hands like this with 30 BB

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No reason to get involved here with about 20 % of ur chips.No matter if villain is making a move on u what he most of the time does not.Just fold.And next time open raise hands like this with 30 BB
Um, thanks for the replies I guess. 2006? That's back when I still had hair.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
As many friends suggest above, it's not worth the call at that stage of the tournament, Why go for a race ? And there's the possibility of facing 6s or better.

Maple_syrup

Maple_syrup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There may be a logical answer to this question and I would appreciate some brain storming from all experience levels.

Midway through a MTT
Blinds are $50/$100
1st two to act fold.
You limp in from middle position with 5,5. and a slightly above average stack of $3000 (please refrain from comments on whether or not you should do this).
The Cut-Off and Button fold as does the Small Blind.
The Big Blind ($2000) raises to $600 making it $500 to you.
This is a huge bet for such a small pot.

You know your pair is an underdog only to a higher pair.
What does or should this bet mean? Or, if it's a steal attempt, what is being represented? Under what conditions would this bet be appropriate. This is no isolation bet as you are the only possible caller.

Based on your answer, how do you proceed?
Most times just a steal. Or Queens where he does not want you to play against him with a King or Ace.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your pair isn't well ahead of overcards either. And - He prob has AK/Q off - but you only have a slight advantage... so if you like coinflips - go ahead!

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like I believe, any 2 cards can win depends on the flop. Sometimes hands hold up and other times they don't. It is gambling, if you expect to win all the time, or hands to hold good luck to that. If someone is always raising ,with not so good hands they are gambling, playing on luck. They wont win much, but they can still win. How many times have strong hands lost cause players get lucky. Need to have lots of luck to win tournaments.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you pair only an underdog to an over-pair, but the question remains do you want to take a race at this stage of the tourney, if you do, push he may be making a move with QJ K10 etc.......... otherwise fold.

Id say fold this and live to fight another hand, good question :)

Great question!

I think it would matter how aggressive the player has been.

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm really trying to determine what types of hands justify this bet. If its 2 overcards I may take a chance. If its a low pair I definately will.
So, to determine what I'm facing, I've got to pur myself in Big Blinds shoes.
He's out of position facing one opponent who limped in from middle position.
Heads-up with a real hand you should want some action.
AA,KK,QQ should all be sand bagged, at least a little. A 6xBB bet is sure to drive away anything but a very strong hand. But you don't want to show too much stregth 2-3xBB
would probably still get called.
How about middle high pairs 88-TT? What does he put me on? With an equal hand I should have raised, but I limped. Those hands are probably good so he should still want some action. A 3-4xBB bet is about right.
How about 2 high cards. Possible but unusual.
Low pairs. I like this bet here. Your not unhappy if he folds and still a gamer if he calls with 2 high cards.
Stone Bluff. the 6xBB bet screams fold. This is my most likely guess for Big Blinds hand.

So back to me and my nickles. I'm guessing low pair or bluff. Well, I'm probably ahead. So what next. Given my healthy chipstack and better opportunities to come, I let it go.

First off I’m not a great player by any means. That said, I like your read about him looking at the limp from you as being a possible weak hand which could easily be pushed off. Problem is he’s put you in a spot because he could also have just about anything and make this play including AA. Folding was probably smart

Last edited:
P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess would be that he has a small to middle pair and he doesn't want a call . Good fold on your part. Live to fight another day .