How can you sniff out a set? Tired of getting taken!

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there a sure fire way of knowing that your opponent has flopped a set?
What are typical signs that you have seen in your experiences.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
before the flop. a decent sized bet should get 2's - 7/8's to fold. You should look out for three bets, and hope you don't run into someone slow playing pocket kings or something (which you will inevitably run into)

Post flop, you should be cautious of 8's 9's and 10's, they often call a three bet without re-raising.

I don't however, think that you should alter your game heavily based on your experiences running into sets. Not everyone plays sets the same ways, it's impossible to know for sure what cards your opponent has. Often times you just have to hope you get lucky.

Good luck not running into sets
Have a good day

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The short answer is no, which is why, sets are such powerfull hands. But it also does not matter, because you are going to flop just as many sets as your opponents, and then they are also going to lose a lot of money or chips to you, if they have a hand like top pair or an overpair. That being said there are times, where an overpair or top pair should be folded, and learning to identify these times is important. But it still does not mean, you wont lose any money or chips, when cooler situations happen like AK against 77 on A74 board.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course there isn't a way to know.

The solution is to learn to control the pot with your bets.

How many times have you seen people all in with top pair or an over pair? Unless you are short, you are over playing your hand and not getting value for it .

You are setting yourself up to win a small pot or lose a big one.

Properly betting will give you a lot of information and allow you to get away from hands.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've asked myself that same question a lot. Bottom line, if the set is the best hand at the end, you're going to lose money. The question is - how much?

Big bets (especially on the river) almost always mean a big hand. Most (not all) players will not go crazy with just top pair.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I am a victim of the set mystery myself. To add to that,
pair shows on the board,
I have a pair making two pairs
A third card shows that gives me a set and a full house
I bet another does the same to the river
I lose because the other had a higher pair and a set, giving them a better hand.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to take the small-ball approach pre-flop just in case there's a monster lurking. Since the only real source of information online is from our opponents table play I try to pot control and, if I was the preflop bet leader then I don't automatically make a c-bet after the flop. A set miner wants to get a good payoff when he hits the board. By forcing him to make the raise to get some serious chips in the pot I at least have a chance to evaluate. If the bet doesn't make sense based on the board then I will strongly lean towards a fold. If I was fortunate enough to have seen the other player play lots of hands I might have enough of a read to sharpen my thinking and make the right decision.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is no way, you just have to reduce ranges and your play is a winner in the long run.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If a loose aggressive player becomes tight on the flop and raises on the river.