How to win in freerolls with so many people?

P

palmacr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to be patient to be able to win freeroll tournaments with so many participants. I think that the people who won these tournaments or at least make it to the final tables are people who couldn't write about their experience because it's very frustrating to play so many freerolls and not reach the final tables even if you play the best poker in the world.
I would like to know if the semi-professional or professional players won at the time if they played any of these tournaments?
Greetings and thanks for the opportunity given to us by the cardschat forum to learn and express our opinions.

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi palmacr, to me need patience, good game and need lucky too to win these freerolls, with more than 1000 players.. many players risk more than normal for not having invested to play.. many learn in freerolls, and win some important hands without having knowledge about their play.. lol o_O so difficult to win a big freeroll, but i love it play and try!:cool:🦾

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
I have quite a lot of experience with freerolls or micro MTT where there is 1k or more people playing (as I've been mainly playing such formats, alongside some cash games for about 15 years now) and I completely understand the frustration that might come with playing such tournaments. You can play hundreds of them and only rarely sniff the final table, but when you do you're usually winning "big".
When I first started playing online I haven't deposited anything and just played freerolls. Took me few months to build an "okish" bankroll to actually start playing for real.
My strategy then was to try and get into the money and go from there. I played tight as hell and faced insane amounts of bad beats. But playing that way was just a matter of time for cards to click and some luck to finally shine on me. Made a few final tables and raked in a few $$.

As I look at it today, it's pretty simple. You just play it as you would play any other MTT. They last longer than your usual Sit&Go, they are more variance based as you'll have to beat way more players, but essentially they are still a normal tournament. You just need to play a lot of them to beat the variance.

A

AntoniodeLima0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Be very aggressive in your plays, especially at the beginning. Most of the players in these tournaments don't care and play with any hand, generally because it takes longer, so don't hesitate to take risks with strong pre-flop hands. As the tournament progresses, you will see that the quality of the players evolves, and then you will be able to play with more reasoning.

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make a good amount of chips at the beginning, then you have to be patient seeing how the players get eliminated and waiting for a good hand

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In freerolls, a lot depends on the player's luck. In freerolls, players often play all their hands in a row, play with junk, so it is obvious that it is almost impossible to win a freeroll without luck. Of course, a professional player will always have more chances, but luck is also an integral element of victory :)

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
in very deep field freerolls you can wait for premium cards early if the blinds are small . study the opponents and gamble with the madshovers who have shown junk hands previously if you feel like it . obviously later you will need to have some hands hold up and win some flips too . just remember that its hard to get to the final table if thousands are entered no matter how well you play!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I won few times those large freerolls with thousands of players. The last time I won was on 888poker, I think it had around 5k players and was a turbo tournament. You will definitely need luck to win these tournaments, but also patience to wait for good hands.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
All freeroll players play crazy on freerolls . So 2.000 crazy people is not just twice as hard than 1.000 field , is 100 times worse lol

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you intend to win a freeroll, then in view of unusual opponents, your strategy should be: tight, solid, aggressive poker.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
patience is key, and trying to build a big enough stack to make it to in the money

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing Tournament Poker is like running a Marathon! It takes a lot of skill and concentration to be able to survive until the Final Table, Even in Live events with only 2 or 3 Hundred players registered, It can take 3 or 4 days to complete, It depends on the blind structure, and how many players buy-in for several bullets, I took a player out of a Live game once, only to be sat beside him again about 30 minutes later because he had bought back in again.
Some events even have 2 days of registration so even if you think you are doing well to make the 2nd day there are some players that wait 24 hours before entering the game.
On line Tournaments are no different, some of the bigger buy-in games can last for several days, or have late buy-ins so in theory you could be in the last 150 players by the end of day one, then find there are 400 players in the Tournament on day 2.
The main thing to remember is that you need to be patient to win huge Tournaments, Freerolls are different in that the Site does not want them to last for days taking up valuable time on the servers because they lose money from them, so they are structured to be shorter games, but can still last several hours.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, we cant except to reach the final table very often in large field MTTs. The important is the field size, not if its a freeroll or a regular MTT for 1,1$, 11$ or 109$. Its all about having our expectations aligned with reality. While our ultimate goal is of course always to win any tournament, we play, we cant have a mindset, where anything less than winning or at least reaching the final table is considered a failure.

If we play with such a mindset, poker is going to be one endless series of disappointments. In freerolls our goal should be to have fun and/or practice. Winning money is secondary and should be considered an added bonus, if it happens. In regular tournaments we can have the same goals, but a reasonable additional goal is a long term positive winrate measured over 1.000`s of games.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
how to win such tournaments?) you need to be patient and lucky because there are a lot of people who play roulette

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the tournaments have large fields. Freerolls are no different. Variance is more in Freerolls as people gamble big time. So play tight and aggressive.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Every MTT with 1k+ players comes with significant variance.

Or to put it plainly you need to get lucky. It is what it is. You can learn and play the most optimal strategy for such a field with such volatility but at the end of the day your hands need to hold, you need to win flips and you need to suck out sometimes. For hours on end.

Pro or not only a small percentage of your runs in such big fields will end up in deep runs. Once you do get a deep run key is to cash as big as possible. MTTs pay out structures are skewed towards the top end so you need to shoot for first. That does not mean to be reckless or to ignore ICM but you need to not be consumed by the immediate ladder and always be playing with 'I am here for the first place' mentality.

So how to win such tourneys? Be lucky, implement the proper strategy, be lucky, be mentally strong and concentrated and also be lucky.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be patient to be able to win freeroll tournaments with so many participants. I think that the people who won these tournaments or at least make it to the final tables are people who couldn't write about their experience because it's very frustrating to play so many freerolls and not reach the final tables even if you play the best poker in the world.
I would like to know if the semi-professional or professional players won at the time if they played any of these tournaments?
Greetings and thanks for the opportunity given to us by the cardschat forum to learn and express our opinions.
The answer is in your question: You need to be very patient.. and very lucky as well :LOL:

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is quite possible to win a tournament for 300 people. At least get to the final table first.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will need a lot of luck , especially in your first all-ins and some patience is always welcome

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you can win because it doesn't seem very difficult, but it's not easy either. You should be patient and wait for strong hands after playing and getting paid a lot of chips

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have to have patience to be able to win freeroll tournaments with so many participants. I think the people who won those tournaments or at least made it to the final tables are people who couldn't write about their experience because it's so frustrating to play so many freerolls and not reach the final tables even though they're playing the best poker in the world.
I could write a long text explaining several important points in detail, but much has already been said above.

But for me, in my own experience, the most important point:

“know your opponents”

this will give you a huge advantage at the tables.

Use the start of the tournament to observe, mark, and take notes about the players at your table.

That way, you'll know exactly with whom and which hands you should play against each of them.

GL
;)

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I also wanted to have this recipe to win a tournament like this with many players, for me you should try to accumulate the maximum amount of chips at the beginning, many players go all in at the beginning of the tournament I noticed that and with bad cards so if you have a good hand you have a chance to double your chips.

pabbl

pabbl

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Make a good amount of chips at the beginning, then you have to be patient seeing how the players get eliminated and waiting for a good hand
Yes indeed. The Stress kicks in when you are near to the final table. I just nearly won a ticket in a pokerstars freeroll. Im New to this ... but you simply learn by doing... i got 14th out of 3000 i was impressed by myself and a bit pissed 😎

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who have not played freerolls, that means they have not seen life. We train the sciatic muscle, stock up on patience and rely on lady luck.

Freeroll Passwords