How to stay in a tournament after so many hours?!

ScoobyNL

ScoobyNL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
I can play 12 hours and still feel fine :)

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes after many hours of playing I just take a break. I sit out for a couple of hands, take a shower or eat something. Is better to loose some blinds than the whole stack because you can't concentrate anymore

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to know your body and how to bring yourself into an optimal state. tea.coffee, etc.

skrtel348

skrtel348

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DZ
Chips
Personally, and this is perhaps what penalizes me, I rarely play poker without doing something in the same time.
I often have two or three screens in front of me for other tasks. This way, the time passes quickly and I am not totally obsessed with the game.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I initially with great difficulty sit for several hours in one place, and in tournaments, maybe after half an hour, I get the feeling that I don't want to play anymore, in fact, these tournaments are tedious

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I cheer myself up with coffee. I'm generally very motivated to play poker in the context of the chance to win money, so I rarely get tired, but overall I never play for more than 8-10 hours.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
you need to take adrenaline drinks they will help you stay awake and relieve fatigue there should always be food in front of you to eat because the brain needs to think it gets tired and you can’t do without food
You should be careful with adrenaline drinks - such things borrow energy from the body, as if on credit. And all loans, as you know, are given with high interest.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
by what I see, I guess you need some resistance and experience. It comes with the time. Keep trying and you will get better each tournament.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I personally can't go past 5 hours, it's extremely tiring for me, and I start playing all the wrong hands and I can't pay attention to the plays anymore. How is it for you? what do you do to be able to maintain long tournaments?

Well, I choose a quiet place, where no one bothers me, I usually have some food nearby to withstand hunger during the tournament and I have several playlists of music that I like so as not to get bored.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Preparation is key.

I eat a light healthy meal, ideally half an hour before my session starts.
I make sure I am properly hydrated and maintain that throughout my session. I only drink water - caffeine is terrible for long term focus, because of the crash when it starts to work it's way out of your system.
I have some snacks to keep up my energy by eating things like dried fruit and nuts
I try to remove as many distractions as I can - this one is tough for me as I live in a flat with my girlfriend and daughter, so space is at a premium, but ideally a small office, with no TV or phone.

J

jivkoptkv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BG
Chips
If you don't like playing for that long just search for tournaments with turbo structure. I personally love playing deepstack poker (100bb or more) with a slow structure because it's giving me the opportunity to play a wider range of hands (suited low cards). But in the end the most important part of your game is when you are at 30bb and less and you should always try to remain focused until the end.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my case it's worse, I can't stay more than three hours, sometimes the second hour arrives I start to lose concentration, anxious, and I can't stay focused anymore.
Sometimes I stretch during breaks, drink water, and I'll start something new, always keep something to eat during the tournament.
Sometimes I think there are supernatural forces at work in the mind. But this must be talk only for the "crazy"

L

legend309

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It gets exhausting for sure. But near the end is when it gets exciting and my adrenaline is pumping. Not hard to concentrate then

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play very carefully - save your stack

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Everything is a matter of habit..in the beginning I couldn't play for more than 2-3 hours..now I play for 6-7 hours continuously without getting tired

slevinzed

slevinzed

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i do have the same problem. I start to play the wrong hands the wrong way. I guess it"s a discipline to acquire, thats what make great players, keep it up (y)

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Something similar happens to me, it must be because we are not used to that type of tournament. The only motivation is to get as close to the jackpot. But it is true that in a moment I only think about it ending.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it's very understandable after 5 hours you start loosing focus, usually i take breakes not only the 5min each hour but 10 or 15 even if it means folding a loosing BB. It helps in my case