How to stay calm in final tables?

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just played a PKO where I was doing well and for a long while was bounty leader. Final 16 players were paid out.

A bad beat left me nearly eliminated but then after 3 aggressive double-ups I was back up to 4th place and still bounty leader.

I stopped playing loose and aggressive once I had my chips back up when at the point of final 13 players when I got AJ under the gun. I had about 30BB at this point.

I pushed all in and got called by the only other player on the table with more chips than me with KK and that was that. The Ace never came, suddenly I'm eliminated cursing myself for throwing it away like that.

At least I was substantially up in the tournament but I had the potential to do much better than I did, shoving at that stage was irresponsible and I knew that as soon as I did it, but I got carried away. The guy with KK I doubled-up was suddenly massively tournament leader and ended up winning the tournament, he must have been thanking his lucky stars I'd pushed and missed at that point.

What good tips do you have not to get carried away like that? Other than simply, don't do it.

PS for 30BB how would you play AJ at that stage? Looking back I should have probably done a 3x Raise or standard Raise at which point if the KK had shoved I should have folded.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AJs is in my UTG pushing range at 20BB stacks with ICM into play. With 30BB, pushing QQ+, AK is good. AJ is a bit too loose, one can push when you are chip leader with significant chip lead.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am still avoiding PKO tournaments because ICM should be treated differently in this game.

I have watched the videos on Youtube about the PKO game (Barry Carter) and definetety a lot of nuances and strategies that wont apply in an usual mtt.

For MTT only, trying to remember ICM concepts while playing is what avoids me from being too bummed when these things happen.

If you have timebank during the FT, use it. Use the 15seconds everytime, It will help you calm down and think better. Get folds that aren't that easy to do as they are often very lucrative in the late stages of the game.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just played a PKO where I was doing well and for a long while was bounty leader. Final 16 players were paid out.

A bad beat left me nearly eliminated but then after 3 aggressive double-ups I was back up to 4th place and still bounty leader.

I stopped playing loose and aggressive once I had my chips back up when at the point of final 13 players when I got AJ under the gun. I had about 30BB at this point.

I pushed all in and got called by the only other player on the table with more chips than me with KK and that was that. The Ace never came, suddenly I'm eliminated cursing myself for throwing it away like that.

At least I was substantially up in the tournament but I had the potential to do much better than I did, shoving at that stage was irresponsible and I knew that as soon as I did it, but I got carried away. The guy with KK I doubled-up was suddenly massively tournament leader and ended up winning the tournament, he must have been thanking his lucky stars I'd pushed and missed at that point.

What good tips do you have not to get carried away like that? Other than simply, don't do it.

PS for 30BB how would you play AJ at that stage? Looking back I should have probably done a 3x Raise or standard Raise at which point if the KK had shoved I should have folded.
Wait for the situation. If you're just starting out on your poker career, your best bet at the final table is to try to sit out the short stacked players. This way you can benefit more from situations and take less risk. However, do not forget to put pressure on other players, on whom it will be beneficial to do this.Firstly, under no circumstances should you sit down at the poker table if you have any unresolved internal problems or a recent conflict, the consequences of which are on your mind. Physical and psychological fatigue and general malaise will also interfere with the sharp and clear perception of the gaming environment at the table and the making of adequate decisions. So, if for some reason you can not properly focus and take control, but the desire to play is still great, try to find a way to distract yourself from all the pressing problems and difficulties. And secondly, you need to constantly monitor the behavior and psychological state of your opponents, trying to understand what is going on in their head, what cards they may have at the moment in their hands. In this case, always remember that the opposing players also constantly analyze your actions and emotions. Thus, the ability to control yourself and constant psychoanalysis of your opponents at the card table will greatly increase your chances of winning.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

this is a big problem for me too, although I play quite a bit final. At least I'm trying to stay calm and play the same way I play

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just m/r and fold to a jam that covered you,

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Don't ever open shove 30BB UTG on a final table again.

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are all sorts of ways in which you need to calm down before playing cards, again.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There are push/fold charts for MTTs. According to the charts that i have, pushing from UTG with AJo is only possible with 7 big blinds or less. Near the bubble and after the bubble, you need to consider whether you can wait out the elimination of other players, and also take into account the icm. In KO, there will be differences due to the bounty, but still with a stack of 30BB, you can never push from UTG even AQ...

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to breath slowly and take your time before you act. Always works for me.

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are push/fold charts for MTTs. According to the charts that i have, pushing from UTG with AJo is only possible with 7 big blinds or less. Near the bubble and after the bubble, you need to consider whether you can wait out the elimination of other players, and also take into account the icm. In KO, there will be differences due to the bounty, but still with a stack of 30BB, you can never push from UTG even AQ...
That's really interesting. I hadn't heard of these charts, where would they be?

Apart from the guy who called and eliminated me, I had much more chips than almost everyone else and I got cocky and arrogant thinking that I had both good hands and what we'd call in my pub poker league "bullying chips". Probably should have put in a 2BB or 3BB raise bet I guess.

BussinessSox

BussinessSox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even in that situation, since you had chips to play with. You definitely could have seen how the board developed. Even with KKs eventually there's a lot of things that person is not gonna want to see. Not saying they'll let it go, but it is a good opportunity to out play your opponent and maybe get a lay down or you wise up and let go of your over rated AJ and your still in the tourney. I know sometimes it seems we wait around forever for premium starting hands. But they are not what you need to win Everytime. And not to many people are gonna lay down kk preflop all in. Actually they waiting for it.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
That's really interesting. I hadn't heard of these charts, where would they be?
Most likely here on the forum it is forbidden to provide links to other poker schools. I saw them in articles there.
Push/fold on those charts starts only from the 13bb mark.
But i think and in the articles of CardsChat there are similar charts for push/fold.
Hopefully someone can suggest some articles with charts on the CardsChat website. It would be interesting to see them myself...

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you make a big shove like the 30BB shove you have to think what am i gaining if not called. You probably are gaining 2 to 3 BB depending on antes and if anyone else called before you. The one thing I think that no one ever realizes is who is going to call that big of a shove especially on a final table? The only caller should be someone that has a big hand and AJ should be way way behind, ie the KK caller.

L

loveisblind

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I write myself notes of how to prep for a big tourney: Deep breaths; don't be tired, hungry, etc.; don't let emotions play a part in my decisions; have money for bullets so I am not afraid to call ... and if all else fails its 420 time!

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man you know what?

You may study, read books, have a tracker and go back to it after play sessions for review and leak finding, have all the push fold charts but...

Practice will lead to perfection.

There's no use for having all the knowledge, being book smart and all, if you don't have the practice.
Without finding yourself in such situation for a good amount.

And I don't say that cause I'm Buda at the final table, mostly when at the bubble I'm already emotionally balanced, imagine at the final.

I was at CC freeroll for PS final table today and I was cheering and shouting even when someone was eliminated hahaha...

I'm not saying you shouldn't study and find means to improve your game cause this will lead to better decisions resulting in a calmer mindset but study and practice goes side by side.

To stay calm in final tables? Study 50% and practice 50% and after a good time you may be calmer at the final table.

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of position and people. When you push all in pre-flop you're taking all the skill you have and throwing it in the garbage. Essentially, you've reduced the game to chance and nothing more. All in can be a powerful tool but you gotta know when to use it. I think your key learning was spot on. Raise pre flop, but flop is where the real action is.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Eat/drink foods that are relaxing like an herbal tea. Also keeping a workout weight next to computer to lift can calm you down.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Just be positive. If you think about the bigger prizes, you can calm down. I often was on the last position in final table start and got to third place or better just because I could wait for the correct cards and watched calmly the opponents' battles.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently read an article about playing at the final table, and there I read that you have to play very aggressively.
For me, this is weird because after an unfortunate hand, we can’t stand a chance to reach a higher position.
I’m also a believer in careful play, even more so at the final table.
It was really too risky to move 30bb all-in against a higher stack, i think a 3bb raise is a lot, 2bb, and possibly a flop cbet, if I didn't find anything, i give up.
It's okay, you learn from your mistakes, and the next time you act more thoughtfully.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fatigue, dehydration and low blood sugar

My opinion is that unnecessary UTG shove is an aggressive rat-brain move.

I've done it.

Every time it is due to fatigue, dehydration and low blood sugar.

Take advantage of the breaks and take good care of yourself.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Full ring A/J off is a fold from UTG. If ya want to play it and lose chips - go ahead, but it's a turd of a hand that gets a lot of weak/undisciplined players in a lot of trouble. UNLESS you have a strong read on your table and everyone is playing extremely tight and overfolding.

Never mind about the 30bb jam - that was a bone headed move and you come straight out and admit it, so no need to beat that cat any more.

As far as PKOs go - I pretty much avoid them. I think they promote/award recklessness play. I prefer standard mtts where I believe I have a solid edge vs the majority of the field.

GL on your next one bud.

Last edited: