How should I play re-buy satellite tournaments?

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From your experiences how should I play satellite tournaments?
Sometimes I play live satellites to major live tournaments and I'm not doing well :(
I do not know if it's because of reentry players that loose or is it my very passive style at the table?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm no expert ....
But my experiences playing re-buy/add-on satellite tournaments is to expect many - many over aggressive players, especially early. :cool:
If you truly have a "very passive style" you will most likely get shoved out by the LagTards. :bike:

Some of these "maniac" players may be players who normally play tight but have gone loose aggressive for this type of tournament. :evil:
Wiser players will have a cost effective and pre-determined number of re-buys in mind while others may go ballistic and cut it all loose. :joyman:

The idea is they are looking to build a large stack early before re-buy period ends.
Should they loose the hand they just over played they "budget" re-buys to get back in the game.

Click Strategy Articles in the blue bar above and you will find many excellent strategy tips here at CC
Directly on point with your post and a fantastic article would be Re-buy Tournament Strategy
:icon_stud Good Luck, Gary

Last edited:
Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont like rebuy satelites -.-

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My experience in satellites would take to long to type but worse it would not be complete. I learned how to play satellites play from Jonathan Little's book Excelling in no Limit holdem. I think you would do well to give it a read. It helped me a lot to be honest and it would help you too.

The fact you are not doing well is a concern but be honest with your self. When you play these events are you feeling outplayed? If you are trying to get into Major live events many of the players are very good and many can be professional players and circuit grinders trying to get in cheap as well. Some players try to win multiple seats so they can take the cash value if it is allowed. They know they are playing against players like us and they are good and we are trying to live the dream so they take advantage of us. When I play and know that 1 in 5 get a seat I realistically know its more like 1 in 6 or 7 try's for me to win a seat. You need to think of it as trying to get a opportunity to play in these event and not your being a winning player in these events.

Your passive style is very likely an issue as well. I have been lucky to play in some bigger events and I can tell you this, Passive players get run over with the aggression. I cant say for sure its hurting you but it could be part of the issue.

Good luck.

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's like a minefield at the beginning. I dislike these rebuys. You can work for 2 hours, build a stack, and lose it quick to someone who is all about re-buying.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I've played some satellites but online, and I try to play them as a normal tournament (when I think I should press, I do it, when I have to play more calmly I do it), and I try to avoid doing rebuys, I think I always try to play my normal game

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Face cards, and suited connectors. don't risk your stack early if possible. its a grind

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From your experiences how should I play satellite tournaments?
Sometimes I play live satellites to major live tournaments and I'm not doing well :(
I do not know if it's because of reentry players that loose or is it my very passive style at the table?

Pretty sure you answered your own question... Being a passive player is not a great strategy. Fix this and ask more specific questions about satellite tournaments and you will get some answers.

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its been useful for me to get a HUD and take a look at my stats. Comparing personal stats to general tourney GTO stats has been helpful to me personally in plugging tourney leaks and polishing my personal game.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you
Pretty sure you answered your own question... Being a passive player is not a great strategy. Fix this and ask more specific questions about satellite tournaments and you will get some answers.

So I see this a lot and do not have good money to do re shopping it makes me play a few hands get lost in'll study these required items.
I'm no expert ....
But my experiences playing re-buy/add-on satellite tournaments is to expect many - many over aggressive players, especially early. :cool:
If you truly have a "very passive style" you will most likely get shoved out by the LagTards. :bike:

Some of these "maniac" players may be players who normally play tight but have gone loose aggressive for this type of tournament. :evil:
Wiser players will have a cost effective and pre-determined number of re-buys in mind while others may go ballistic and cut it all loose. :joyman:

The idea is they are looking to build a large stack early before re-buy period ends.
Should they loose the hand they just over played they "budget" re-buys to get back in the game.

Click Strategy Articles in the blue bar above and you will find many excellent strategy tips here at CC
Directly on point with your post and a fantastic article would be Re-buy Tournament Strategy
:icon_stud Good Luck, Gary

Last edited by a moderator:

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure your there for the Add On . Very late entry and slow play give you the cheapest chance . Loved these on PS when BB,s reached more than the Rebuy option . and the moment you go all in, and lose, you get disconnected . Dozen rebuys trying to get to add on and out with 2 mins to go .Wcoop high stake rebuys are a mine field for any frequent disconnectors . No refunds , no matter how many rebuys you had .

E

eyeluvpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally do not like rebuy tournaments. People will play very aggressive and just rebuy when they get knocked out. Not sure how the multiple rebuys are profitable but who knows maybe they end up winning one after all the rebuys. On ACR I will play them from time to time but I usually join towards the end of the rebuy period if the payout to players ratio is good. If you get lucky and get a couple double ups you can still get a good finish or maybe even a win if the cards fall right. Much less time invested so even a small profit is good rather than grinding it out for the extra 3 hours and probably getting busted on a bad beat and needing to rebuy! Would prefer if there were no rebuy tournaments!!

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Make sure your there for the Add On . Very late entry and slow play give you the cheapest chance . Loved these on PS when BB,s reached more than the Rebuy option .....
That's somewhat how I play these - but I seldom do play them.
I'm a late entry fan also because I want a realistic return on investment of cash and time.

Prior to entering I determine how many re-buys to invest in the prize pool on a ratio of what a realistic finish will be worth.
Like 22meandu said "Make sure your there for the Add On".
To be there you'll need to switch up your style of play to "play the players" at your table. :fight:
Set a target chip stack.
If I feel it is the right move I make it - because I personally will try to build my target stack as quickly as possible.
I know this may or may not work. I may spend all my determined number of re-buys and go out quickly - So be it.:pcguru:

Like I said, I'm no expert ....
I'm usually in these for the fun and if I loose it all - O-Well I've spent "vacation money" and had a great deal of fun :icon_thum
And if I get lucky I've not spent any more time than necessary. But that's just me LOL :cool:

Poker Tells