How to play without good cards ?

D

DIOGO LOPES

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, Fold, and Fold

Like westside said, work out who you can steal from and do it occasionally to keep your stack from decreasing, then play your premium hands hard.

You are correct, but sometimes, with notes of our opponents, we can do some moves in the game.

Make Notes! and you will play with any cards.

Sorry for the bad english.

J

JVal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position position position

always be aware of your position

the most overlooked important part of the game imo

in general attack a weak players blind in late position

could be hard though if other players have same idea though

if youve folded a lot and given off the image of someone super tight or not getting cards a reraise commands a lot of respect

try reraising someone trying to steal blinds

do it sparingly though as you start to lost respect if you do it too much

example 1

youre in cut off and loose player limps in middle position action is folded to you

raise with anything

try to isolate

obviously helps if bb is super tight

but really youre just hoping the dealer not picking up a hand

dealer is the only one without position on you

flop comes out and you bet if its checked to you

most likely a random hand will miss the flop and thats what youre counting on

position is important but so is your read on the players

avoid doing this against weak players who just call call call

if you still get callers on the flop re-evaluate on the turn

do you think he is on a draw? or was the flop like Q 7 2 and he probably has a pair that he will call you with??

in general its a good idea to give up on the turn but if you feel you can represent a strong hand try again

if youre card dead as you say then you will have to win pots like this with inferior cards

triple barrel bluff is very difficult thing to do but can be done in right situation

also call with any 2 cards in late position if there are a lot of limpers

example 2

youre on the button with 9 2 off suit

6 limpers

call with anything

if table is playing passively this is ideal

youre getting great odds to call and try to hit trips

if you do hit play it strong on the flop

its basically like a ring game at that point so dont get cute and slow play and get run down by runner runner

if you miss just check fold

good luck

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lot of good ideas here

Thanks for the info. Lots of good ideas here.

Some time, we know some of the tricks. But, it is helpful to have someone spell them out to us every once in a while.

Mike

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!
you should fold the cards you write
you dont need premium hands to play.try to raise with JTs 79s 67s in position and see the flop
also patience is very important in the beginning of the tournament

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just have to pick your situations and utilize position to the best of your ability. Also there comes a time where you have to be willing to gamble a bit if the right situation presents itself.

theboss

theboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you cant always get KK and AA. try stealing some blinds from late position when it gets folded to you. play some suited connectors in early stages. play some small pocket pairs/set mining. If you only want to play huge hands avoid playing turbos. Play regular speed and deepstack mtts and be patient.

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Seven three and even eight three is very much playable. I cannot say the same thing about the rest." - PokerRex -

I love to play with you PokerRex, do you play cash game? Tell me where you play and I'llbe there right away :) If full seated table, as long you there, "Join waitinglist" Peace! ;)

Heheheheheheh 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

M

mainstream13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to figure out which players doesnt defend his blinds a lot (without a good, premium hand) and then just push all-in in order to steal it.
OFC, dont do this very often, but just in order to collect a pot few times so you dont get even shorter stacked

this +1 for sure you steal the blinds and if you dont steal them fold and look at te opponents you can learn how they play and steal even more blinds or win som pots

BuvA7

BuvA7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL lets say i get the bad cards all the time and not actualy. The trick is not to fold those bad cards ( cause u never know whats gona hit the tabel ) if the blind is not 2 big and nobody raised all in. Lets say it like this : i like to go on suited 7 9 hand doesnt even have to b suited so here comes the trick - if flop trows any of those i have, and everybody till me checked i will raise the minimum bet, wait for the turn - if its a high card K, Q, or J - raise the 3 bet and try to bluff em all out. If somebody reraises its a sure fold from my side. But like some of the member mentiond its not even on the bad cards, its on the people - try to read them and look whos agressive, look who follows every card and specialy on those who fold every waiting for suppreme hand to overcome at pot. Then u can judge ur desigions should u go in with ur bad card or not.

ChillinVillian

ChillinVillian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow great responses to the question in this thread ! I myself have this dead-card issue and find it extremely tuff to be so at peace with folding so much ! But after all the responses to this and taking the time to understand the thought process I have found some really helpful info here . Thanks to all CC members for there input . :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how to play without good cards the whole tournament?
type:

T2o
83o
73o
29o...

These hands are really easy to play, since you just fold at the first given option. There are only two exception to this:

* You are so short, that you are priced in to call from big blind with basically any two cards.

* You get a free play from the big blind and connect well with the board.

Now obviously you are not going to win a tournament by folding, but you are also not going to win it by playing incorrect ranges, because you are card dead. Being card dead is just part of variance or luck just like running your KK into AA, running top pair into a set, getting drawn out on, missing all your own sets and draws and so on and so forth. You are not supposed to win every tournament, you play, and if you are card dead for extended periods of time, you are probably not going to win. Its really that simple basically.

M

Mrsanax12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like how to play with bad cards , during tournaments the stake goes up and i mainly fold ,losing chips just by folding..

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: First you have to have a good image at the table, second you have to know how to bet and third, you cannot blosff all the time in all hands.

A

alge0815

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Important is to stay calm and wait. At some point there will be good cards and you will get a chance to play. The worst thing is to play hands which you don’t want to play. Of course there are moments when the chip stack is getting to small. Then you have to decide. Otherwise wait.:ad4::ad4:

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They mostly have to be folded. There are very few situations where there is a high chance a blind can be stolen with them or a blind can be replenished.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We could direct forces on blind stilling if possible and use the time for reading of opponents.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
wait and see
you might bluff some

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is something i always try to teach my students when i coach. i warn everyone that there will be times when you are card dead. there will be times when you play tournaments straight to the final table with the best of hands and never grind....yes, it's possible. but if you do want to make the money at least 60-75% of the time, you need to learn to fuse both experiences into one. of course, position is very important. My own personal quote from my profile- don't sit around waiting for the good cards to come around. trust me, it's not worth waiting for. Folding suited cards UTG's would be ideal, but not middle late to the button. if you are talking about unsuited hands, then at least have then linked or you're just a leaking faucet. you get me? you must pick your battles, don't be random.

It can get a lot more complicated but i did learn a lot reading and studying from Daniel Negreanu. I watched a lot of television poker and ignore the stakes and I try to understand the hands they play, in the positions they are in! I studied Jason Merciers game and i learned a lot from his tournament expertise. Here's an advise, find a tournament pro and follow the pro's game. Find books and articles from this pro. And stop studying strong hand poker analysis.
Hope this helps!:D:D:D:D:D

I partly agree, I have days really often, more often than it should, when cards do not come, even if they do the flop killing me. I would rather focus for the RNG, if the situation appears, as it works pretty much the same several patterns. It is quiet visible for me after half, 1 hour, what 'kind' of day, session it will be, and it works very often, and I blame for myself, when I see and do not do it. The best example, when long hours, sometimes days go by, and I can win a hand only from early positions, almost totally not important what hand I have pre-flop, also pretty strange the backdoor runs, what also kill me plenty times, as there are certain individuals, whose not just simply fun players, or have no clue, but playing for it by purpose, and that's all about RNG, not poker at all.

I never seen any 'article, study, whatever else they sell in the mainstream' what is written by RNG programmers, and to be honest the 'best' players paid by the RNG owners, so they can't say anything about it, even if they could, they never would, as they profit from it.

In that case, when you are card dead focus for the RNG patterns, as there are. Of course, you must have comfortable bankroll.

Before that, I always was wonder about players, whose have 10x, 20x higher stack at the end of the late reg, I watched few, as I saw some of them have it quiet often, and reaching FT more often than the average and not all of them out of mind. It is visible they play like that because of RNG, not poker at all. When I see the UTG 610o, J5o, 24o raise and call single or 4 way allins, and they take it down, and it is repetative, then you start to think why they do it, as they can't be on tilt all the time, everyday, and still reaching ITM, FT, being profitable. So there is something, I tried, it works for me, there are some recognizeable patterns. online poker - even I try to play it normal most of the time - is not about probability, variance or anything like live poker. Sometimes it can be, but those are the 1 day out of 7 in a week. At least, my personal experience is this. I could win tourneys, reaching FT more often, if I count on RNG factor, too.

polar1ze

polar1ze

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience/pick your spots. Pay close attention to other players at the table so you can find out the best spot to win some blinds at least

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there are no good cards then it is very important to know the opponents at the table and whoever is easier to "prey" should try to get chips.
Patience and good situational awareness are very important.