How to play tournaments when youre always dealt garbage cards

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my biggest struggle in tournament poker, i am just always dealt awful hands. It can get frustrating to watch other people getting decent cards and actually hitting the flop. Like some dude flopped a royal flush and 2 went all in for him.
Does anyone else experience tourneys like this where you cant to hit a flop or get something good pre flop and what do you do about it?

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing worse than being card dead for the whole tournament.

You will however have a very tight image which you can use to steal blinds and rep flops. Best to do it before you get short stacked.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
Man,,,,this is all about in poker. bluff...Try start bluffing maybe you get some results

soliddecor

soliddecor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my biggest struggle in tournament poker, i am just always dealt awful hands. It can get frustrating to watch other people getting decent cards and actually hitting the flop. Like some dude flopped a royal flush and 2 went all in for him.
Does anyone else experience tourneys like this where you cant to hit a flop or get something good pre flop and what do you do about it?
its simple. You shoud know the kards gods:) and some else to reed when you play a game. I can teach you.:)

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you consider 53s,42s,75s,56s,76s,78s,8Ts, small pocket pairs trash hands?

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this constant scenario bluff periodically and act like you have the nuts.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Find a good open shove range and re-shove range chart. This will help you maintain a healthy stack when your card dead.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
fold fold fold and then widen your range.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you consider 53s,42s,75s,56s,76s,78s,8Ts, small pocket pairs trash hands?
From an early position with fishy people at the table yes i consider those a fold, from button or bb id play them, but almost always miss the flop

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes we have to risk and bet everything without having anything at all and hope to win it is part of the game of poker as the saying goes: whoever risks nothing has nothing also in the same sense: no risk no pleasure :)

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to play tournaments when youre always dealt garbage cards?

I try to play the same. I get 2 cards each hand. They're usually different. Not always.
I would, almost always, always prefer better ones.
Be patient. But not too patient. Pick spots, positions,opponents and tendencies.
Most of my biggest pots have been vs REALLY strong starting hands that opponents have played face up.
Do so carefully, as you'll usually lose a little there. But sometimes win a lot.
Position and odds vs price take a bit more practice than recognizing the top 5% of starting hands. The latter is much easier.
I struggle to, but know, the focus needs to be on the decision. For each hand independently. Try to use all the information available and make the best play you can. When you make a good decision and it doesn't go your way.... man it sucks, i'm working on that myself. lol. But the faster you can forget the result and keep focus on the decision the better.
Loses are harder to forget when you make the wrong decision. Wins are much more easily forgotten. Both - for obvious impulsive reasons- tend to distract from where the focus should be. The decisions.
And, don't get me wrong. I'd much prefer to make the wrong decision and win than the correct decision and lose- at least for the pot I'm playing RIGHT NOW...
It happens all the time in poker, in the short term. But to win long term, luck of the draw won't cut it.

G

GMateus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi There
Man,,,,this is all about in poker. Bluff...Try start bluffing maybe you get some results

I think it's really hard to bluff in a full ring MTT, especially micro stakes.
The players are going to pay for a flip.

When dealt garbage I think we should fold in the early phase of the tournament, and then open the range for shove.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is my biggest struggle in tournament poker, i am just always dealt awful hands.
The distribution of hands that you get over the long run is no different than what your opponents get. Remember this and the struggle will be relieved. In these moments think to yourself "my cards are not better or worse than my opponents cards."
It can get frustrating to watch other people getting decent cards and actually hitting the flop.
There is not a skill to "hit the flop." Poker is not won by "hitting the flop" because you (and your opponents) only "hit the flop" 30% of the time. Learn how to play your hands when you don't hit the flop.
Yes. For the flop, I can't change anything to "hit the flop." As far as preflop: study ranges, position, and pay attention to your opponents tendencies... you'll likely find spots that you can play.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Your pocket holding doesn't matter. Your position, and how your opponents perceive your style, and how you read them does.

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The distribution of hands that you get over the long run is no different than what your opponents get. Remember this and the struggle will be relieved. In these moments think to yourself "my cards are not better or worse than my opponents cards."

There is not a skill to "hit the flop." Poker is not won by "hitting the flop" because you (and your opponents) only "hit the flop" 30% of the time. Learn how to play your hands when you don't hit the flop.

Yes. For the flop, I can't change anything to "hit the flop." As far as preflop: study ranges, position, and pay attention to your opponents tendencies... you'll likely find spots that you can play.
What are some good ways to play when you miss the flop? I generally play it safe and fold

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are some good ways to play when you miss the flop? I generally play it safe and fold
Playing it safe and folding is making you exploitable. That could be why you feel like you need to get cards and hit a flop to win. You literally are playing your two cards and not thinking about what these cards mean against your opponents (range) and the board (combinatorics).

Start with studying ranges. Inspect your starting hands and recognize what your range in each position is. Study what the "typical" range for players is from a given position. In game - match what you've learned about ranges up with your opponent tendencies. Use this information to make decisions about how to play the flop.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is like that in poker sometimes you just got to stick with patients, your hands will come:0) And if it is truly like that every tournament, I think the poker Gods don't like you and you should find something else to play:0) But really patients is the key the cards will come;0) Hope you win one soon, good luck and keep grinding:0)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Always dealt awful hands ?

A guy flopped a royal flush ????? -- This should have been on the front page of the CardsChat news site!!

When I'm card-dead all I'm doing is looking for spots to enter or raise the hand. This is a tough job. Looking for a double-up....because I need it!

Good luck !

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From an early position with fishy people at the table yes i consider those a fold, from button or bb id play them, but almost always miss the flop
The suited gappers or SC OK maybe but the small pocket pairs or a blessin IP but even OP...you are making large mistakes.

Geoff445

Geoff445

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get some gold spray paint and paint your garbage gold, they'll never know the difference.

C

Chris2621

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Card Dead

Many hands never make it to the river. I choose times to bluff/semi-bluff when I'm card dead. Especially when my table image is perceived as a nit.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it does not bother me to play with trash cards. the plupards of the temp is what brings the most because the plupard of your opponents will think that you have big cards. but when you do not touch any flop.it is where it becomes really hard to progress in a tournament.on can of course bluff some flop but in the end we still need a minimum of luck to hope to achieve a good result in a tournament.

A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always dealt garbage? If you play enough tournaments, that will happen. Just like sometimes your opponent gets the one card he needs on the flop.

In the long run, this is not a real issue. In the long run, it will even out.

But having said that, less than half the hands I play go to showdown. The cards you're holding do not completely determine the outcome.

If I recall correctly, there's a video of a poker player who won a tournament without ever looking at her cards.

So 1) your cards don't matter as much as you think they do; 2) in the long run, it all evens out, so you can't use "garbage hands" as an excuse.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I recall correctly, there's a video of a poker player who won a tournament without ever looking at her cards.
The poker player who did not look at her cards is Annette Obrestad. Google it, her views are very interesting.

Last edited:
KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

how play when you get garbage cards? Fold