How to play suited connectors/doors?

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me, I tend not to play hands like that at all really, but I've heard the value of doing so espoused enough times from enough sources to conclude it can't be all wrong. That having been said, I really don't understand it myself. And would you even play them in tournaments? I'm not sure there either. What do you guys think?

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should definitely reconsider your decision.Playing two suited connectors can be very profitable in specific occasion.Don't start practicing playing them if you have low bankroll.

A2ub3

A2ub3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because suited connectors can make big-pot hands, they should often be played before the flop. The proper way to play suited connectors in short-handed games is to play them aggressively. Limping is a no-no. When you're aggressive with your suited connectors, you give yourself the most ways to win.

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation, the position and the amount of chips you have.
suited connectors can produce good pots.
I always like to play in position.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suited connectors is a great hand. You have an advantage on a low flop, because most players play with high cards. Your chances increase to catch a straight, flush, or straight flush. When your opponent catches a straight, you can get a long straight and your hand is completely unreadable. Many professional players are very aggressive with these hands.

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited low connectors like 45, 56, 67 can be played flatcall from HJ, CO, BTN, SB and BB. At the same time they can be opened from UTG + 2, MP ... In any case, it is also necessary to consider the configuration of the table, whether it is tight, or aggressive. Personally I do not agree with one of the posts above that states that it cannot be limped, I think that any hand can be limped, depending on our reading of the table.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suited connector is the hands you hope many opponents will call so you can win big pot. Sometimes you can bet but I think these hands often should call than bet. But you have to be very careful when playing. In fact, there are many different situations you have to prepare. For example, if I have small suited connector I hope to hit straight draw, 2 pairs, or set more than flush draw, but unless AK if I have big suited connector I still play very carefully even when I hit 2 pairs or set.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for the most part, i'm opening with suited connectors or 3betting with suited connectors preflop.

post flop, it depends.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors is a great hand.There's a good chance you can create a line or color to win big, but you have to pay attention to your opponent's game and style.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s easy to play with them, if you hit your draw, you can easily win really big pot, if you don’t, just throw them away.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Me, I tend not to play hands like that at all really, but I've heard the value of doing so espoused enough times from enough sources to conclude it can't be all wrong. That having been said, I really don't understand it myself. And would you even play them in tournaments? I'm not sure there either. What do you guys think?

Thank U 4 posting

The key to play suited connectors other than fit or fold is to be skilled post flop.

You need to have have the ability to win pots without making a hand if you are going to play them regularly. You do that through situational reads and aggression in the correct spots.

You must also be able to fold when you are behind. So can you fold 2 pair -sets -smaller straights -straights vs flushes etc

You need to know how to float and have stack size awareness. Short stacks take away many of the advantages of suited connectors but many players will continue to play them. You will see players getting knocked out of tournaments chasing with theses hands not understanding ICM equity

Hope this helps
:)

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, this thread languished for days then I check today and suddenly it's exploded! Some solid advice overall here, and I'd like to add something I've inferred from it: That picking the spot to play a hand like that has a lot to do with which opponent or opponents you're up against. Like, maybe don't try 78c against a calling station, use this kind of play against people you can force out post flop on a bluff if you need to.

Kertooie

Kertooie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want a good source on these type of hands i suggest reading Doyle Brunsons Super System!

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want a good source on these type of hands i suggest reading Doyle Brunsons Super System!

Is there stuff on it in Super System 2? I've actually owned that one for years but never gave it a proper read.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play such hands aggressively through a check-raise on the flop. If we collect a good hand towards the river, we get a lot of chips.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like them best when you can get in for a good price in a multiway pot. If you flop a monster or monster draw, you have a pretty good chance of getting paid off then.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, this thread languished for days then I check today and suddenly it's exploded! Some solid advice overall here, and I'd like to add something I've inferred from it: That picking the spot to play a hand like that has a lot to do with which opponent or opponents you're up against. Like, maybe don't try 78c against a calling station, use this kind of play against people you can force out post flop on a bluff if you need to.

Thank you for posting

A calling station is a good player to play connectors against because you can get extra value when you make big hands. So you know not to bluff them but you can stack them when you hit

Think of it this way. You play connectors 5 times vs a calling station you lose 10 bb 4 times but win 100 bb 1 time for a profit of 60 bb. That is very good return

However as I said in my other post you have to be good at post flop play on all 3 streets

Hope this helps

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion connectors are really a terrible hand. They can be played with deep stacks (early stage of tournament) from late position with several limpers (with relatively good pot-odds) but they are still bad because:

- they hit very rarely
- if they hit flush they can lose to higher one
- if they hit straight it's not that well conceled (like for example a set)
- if they hit two pairs - they will often lose when the table pairs

They very rearely hit nuts, are difficult to play and are hardly profitable. Just throw them away. I would play them sometimes just to mix up my gamestyle but that works only on live poker.

The only connectors I really like to play is AK ;) I often play QJ, J10, 109 and similar but not as connectors - I try to hit top pair and win at flop making a straight possibility just a bonus.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play them for stealth possibilities, pressure..

Suited connectors have 2x the potential: as a str8, and as a flush. They aren't as sneaky as a pocket pair turning into 3 of a kind, or full house.
The more you play suited connectors, you will see the pressure you can apply, especially if you have the nut flush draw, or you hit the flush.
One caveat; when you hit your str8 by the turn, make sure you have as close to the nut flush as possible. And most importantly, with a flush, don't shove on the flop or turn.
I've been burned on the river, where the board pairs, and your opponent's hand turns into a full house.