How to play MTT when we are almost to final table ?

H

hresurse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How to play MTTs when we are almost to the final table ?

I am asking you, because I lost twice with AA (doing all-in) - and payed by donkeys JTs, QJs - one time at Big 11 when there were 12 left, and another time on Big 11 when there were 13 players left.

That's frustrating, because i was chipleader twice, and 1st place was payed arround 5k USD.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately this is poker.
As soon as you bet with AA preflop, you must win 80% of the time. Once the chips are in the center of the table - then everything depends on luck.
The distance will return everything.

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately this is poker.
As soon as you bet with AA preflop, you must win 80% of the time. Once the chips are in the center of the table - then everything depends on luck.
The distance will return everything.
Exactly, all in pre flop is dangerous as beauty.
Maybe you should try 3bet, see the flop, be more careful pre flop, feel the hand.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I am asking you, because I lost twice with AA (doing all-in) - and payed by donkeys JTs, QJs - one time at Big 11 when there were 12 left, and another time on Big 11 when there were 13 players left.

That's frustrating, because i was chipleader twice, and 1st place was payed arround 5k USD.

Unfortunately stuff like this happens in poker. There are no 100% hands preflop. Keep making the good decisons and getting it in ahead.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you are getting in good there’s not much else you can do. It is certainly frustrating but it happens to everyone. What else are you going to do? Fold AA preflop? If you do that you’ll probably make final table but you definitely aren’t going to win. Continue to make the right plays and you’ll be successful long term. Don’t let the short term hiccups change your play style. Best of luck.

And JTs and QJs aren’t that terrible hands, especially if they think you are making a move and trying to steal. Those hands play well seeing all 5 cards and are the type that can crack AA the best. Yes you are still the favourite but no guarantees.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer your question, that's exactly how you play—getting it in as the favorite against weaker hands. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree what everyone said. Just one comment - this strategy could change if there is a certain number of equally paid places (for example 8 tickets). In that case it might be better to lower the risk and not play even premium hands or just secure small pots and stay out of large ones. But this makes sense only with equally paid places. When there is normal payout structure you should aim to finnish first even with risk because payouts get progressively better with each finnishing place.

erik_lima

erik_lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost the same way you played the entire tournament. Trying to have a lot of chips and making pressure on the short stacks.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree what everyone said. Just one comment - this strategy could change if there is a certain number of equally paid places (for example 8 tickets). In that case it might be better to lower the risk and not play even premium hands or just secure small pots and stay out of large ones. But this makes sense only with equally paid places. When there is normal payout structure you should aim to finnish first even with risk because payouts get progressively better with each finnishing place.

Phil Hellmuth says this is the only time its correct to fold AA.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It is always good to put your chips all-in when your a favorite or ahead even putting your tournament life on the line as you will be winning in the long run.

I agree with other post that if it is a satellite game where even 1 chip can give you same prize as 1st place, AA is a fold when your ticket is guaranteed.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play mathematically correct, put all in with the best chance of winning. But remember that a high probability of winning Does not guarantee victory. The final table is not a very frequent event, so you should think carefully before risking everything on the preflop. Play more carefully and try to make the most of any tournament. The distance will bring everything back, but you never know how long this distance will be, you should never rush to give a chance to luck to solve everything.:)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think you're just out of luck !!! All your victories are yet to come !!! Good luck !!!

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are a tournament chipleader, doing all-in against an opponent who can knock you out, even with AA is stupid... Why are you taking the risk? You are the leader, with a good card, play calmly, watch the flop, turn, play aggressively. it is necessary to assess the situation and possibly throw out AA if you see a table and feel an unpleasant situation against yourself.. This is very difficult, but the decision to make must be learned. Remember there is no card that will give you exactly win. All in is a lottery and playing it when big money is around is not worth it!

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

To begin with, relax. Most players, especially beginners, at the pre-finals fall into a special form of tilt and begin to behave inappropriately, which often leads to suboptimal decisions and deplorable results. Keep yourself in control, try to constantly control the situation. Call or chat with one of your poker friends. Even if they are not more experienced than you - moral support will never hurt.Do not be too lazy to “break through” all remaining opponents in the game to determine regulars and weak players. In this case, pay special attention to the maximum prize of this or that player in order to choose the optimal strategy when playing against them. Identify those who are trying to get to their first final in their life: they are a great target for an attack, and their blinds are free chips. For example, if a person has never won more than $ 300, and the first place in the tournament in which you fight with him is 20 times more, we can assume that the money puts a lot of pressure on him and he will play very carefully. Put a color mark on each player - ideally, your table should shine like a Christmas tree:
and as for your situation, then you did everything right and you were just out of luck. The aces are not thrown out. good luck

A

AnatolCoS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn to fold great hands, if you are chip leader play them slowly and observe the table. You can steal blinds almost every round, no need to go all-in until nuts combo on a river

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not that you are doing something wrong, but sometimes poker know to be "idiot".
As you are playing read gambling, then its nothing more then crazy to look for a justice in a game of chances/luck.
It would be equal to lets say you go out with a hoe, one time, two times and you're fine, but after the 3rd time you get AIDS and know who is guilty for your infection?
Things will go for sure in a better way just need to drive your car on a long journey.
Hope that one time you will get into life changing opportunity and the A's will come right when you need him the most.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep taking educated chances..

To get far in a tourney, you have to take some chances. Waiting for AA KK, you'll lose your stack before those come around. All during tourney, you have to keep punching, stay aggressive.
MTT today, mid-tourney, I get Q10suited, take a chance. I shove, opponent has 22, and he catches his trips. It's poker, things happen, but at least I didn't get blinded out, waiting for premium cards.

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general we could say that the way it was played is perfect. The objective when we have Aces is always to try to get all the chips to the center, if possible preflop, the better. The correct decision is what counts. Beyond this, when the advanced phase of the tournament arrives, the FT bubble, and the FT, the ICM begins to be important. Here, the decisions we make regarding the stack we have, who we are facing in the hand, etc., begin to be essential. The ideal being the Big Stack is to try to avoid players who have considerable stacks that can do us significant damage. In addition, we must bear in mind that it is not wrong to start to decrease the risks a little to give other players time to make mistakes and stay out before us, especially when there are players with very few chips. Perhaps it is better to pass a spot in which we must put many chips into play against another player with many chips, if in the next hands, the short players will leave the tournament.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You ask about strategy for a particular time in tournaments, and then you tell, that you were knocked out twice because of bad beats. There is obviously no strategy for avoiding bad beats, so first off all you should consider, if you are actually asking advice, or if you are just venting your latest bad beats?

If its the latter, then post next time in "bad beats and vents". It is however an interesting question, and in my opinion a lot of players get overly timid, when the final table is near. They want to make it there at almost any cost, which is irrational, since the payjump between 10/11 and 9 is usually insignificant. And therefore the best strategy is to get more aggressive to abuse players, who fold to much, because the final table is near.

davidsincara

davidsincara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So close, play tighter, ALLIN is a total flip, even with pair of rockets...

I prefer to see flops and then SHOVE if dry board

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately there are situations like this, I have also fallen out not once with AA on the final table. The best style at this time of year, I think, is tight aggressive

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips

There is nothing more beautiful than two people at your table are all in and you have AA in hand. Is there a chance to lose? yes. Better situation than that to double down and win the tournament? does not exist.:cool: