How to play against agressive players?

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Choose good hands for re raise and potect BB with not bad hands.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the villain with monster stack keep trying to steal your blinds,you should reraise all-in with even 44+.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless of the position in which we are, we must always be attentive to all the movements of aggressive poker player. We may discover aspects of his personality as, for example, if it is really aggressive, or simply does not care about the money risks: it gets more aggressive when it encounters resistance ?, decreases their level of aggression when in a bad situation? When you have a good hand, you press over his opponent or makes slow play to get more for your letters? If you play marginal hands aggressively, and makes slow play with premium hands, then we have a chance. But when large amounts bet with any hand, it is difficult to catch. We will need to beat a really good hand.
We also analyze how they play their projects. Normally aggressive players bet or raise with their projects, knowing that if someone sees your bet, have a chance to win if the board favors them. But we can detect a pattern of betting, for example: some make check-raise, others bet small amounts.
The best strategy against an aggressive poker player is playing against him when we have a big hand, especially if it is the type of player you see any bet. We will need to wait for good cards, meaning they abandon in most hands. If we are in the pre-flop, we should think twice before coming up with hands that we can not respond to a rise yours. We can extend a little the range of hands if we play after him, but not too much.

M

marinaki85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
be patient with them and then make the call with aa-kk-ak-qq.thats the spirit

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just be patient and wait for the good hands.

Let them bully you until a single hand where you get substantial chips from them and in the process crippled them from being so aggressive.

Viera56

Viera56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best strategy is choose a strong hand, if you are in good position just call sometimes. 3bet aways with a good hand.

T

Twalkz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also can get a little to passive sometimes

I

Italiano1978

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Gimme them chips

You must have PATIENCE when faced with a loose cannon. When you play against them you go over the top and fire. Chances are they have nothing and they will fold. Or be sneaky and trap.;)

S

Sall

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very simple I think. When you are facing this problem there is nothing else to do but to take a gamble. Even if he is bullying you to fold every time, there might be as well be a time that he does have good cards. It is impossible to know for sure or to read. He can be raising all the time with a bluff and the one time you decide to call or raise or go all-in he can have a pair or something good. I mean, you can read all the best books or get the best advice, but nobody can give you a crystal ball, because to be 100 % sure, that is what you need LOL. Just follow your instinct and when you have any two cards you are comfortable with, go all-in. You never know what the table will give you ;-)

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The beauty of cash games, is that if an aggro is putting you off your game, you can just move tables.

F

feliksinthemix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol when you're getting shortstacked like OP said, you certainly don't have the luxury to wait JJ+. Hopefully you've seen the types of hands they are opening with in late position and so you should feel comfortable getting it in with anything that is ahead of their range. 3betting all-in is a nice way to pick up a good amount of chips later on in tourneys when you have a shorter stack.

That is one way, but its important to remember that the odds don't change the further you get in the tournament!

I ALWAYS fold mediocre hands against aggressive players when im low on chips, even if it means waiting until my stack is only 2/3 X the big blind until I get good hand.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
be patient, but do not be strongly tight-passive, sometimes even with a weak hand should be protected BB, especially against the agressive player, each BB do not risk to portray a strong hand, but it is possible through the blind.

F

feliksinthemix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
be patient, but do not be strongly tight-passive, sometimes even with a weak hand should be protected BB, especially against the agressive player, each BB do not risk to portray a strong hand, but it is possible through the blind.

Yes, sometimes I play aggressive against aggressive players from a strong position and even with a weaker stack it has payed off nicely over a few rounds beating them down, but you have to be careful playing like that because it can go very wrong if they a good hand, because it just seems like they are playing aggressive with poor/ mediocre hands as usual. The counter attack can't be more than a few rounds against an aggressive player, because they will come to expect that from you and it will backfire when they get lucky.

Last edited:
Latamgrinder

Latamgrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play basic TAG strateg vs them meaning that you need to increase your cards value when playing against them, play the most hands in position and play more cards with high implide odds value.

D

danntesvarna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With stable hands and patience wait them to make mistake.

sergey ptz

sergey ptz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have strong hand, no point in fighting back with poor hands.

Olgert1992

Olgert1992

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive players always undertake operating on flop. To move their not sense, only if you will get in flop you have a chance to fish out for him many chips.

Elmanchy

Elmanchy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play standard poker.
A raise from late position with any AJs+
Call with any pairs 7+ aggressive players (Stiller)
And then you will surely pick up your stack

zsoltyx2

zsoltyx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you wait a strong hand ,and and have a little luck.but the blinds and you are fewer chips ,is big then it is harder

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi...
With agressive players, we need to play less hands with those players, because if we have a hand who doesn't flop well, we will fold with c-bet, so play hand vs they for value, slowplay its a good option, because if we have for example a set, in 80% of the cases they will bet, and we add more chips on the pot...
But normally i don't slowplay, but if i'm out position, i only call if i have a good hand, and in the river, if its a save board for us, just raise for value....

KingQuadDaddy

KingQuadDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do have this problem, most of the times when I am big blind, in a MMT tournament, next to the prize pool and don't have much chips. Some players play agressive and really get some money from me. Some times I go all in against them and they just fold. But keep doing that on next BB. Thanks you guys.

You said it yourself, when you are close to the money and not many chips. They are trying to blind you out and add to the stack so they can prepare for money.

The way I fix this is when I start getting low on chips (15bb) ill start trying to pick spots to staart stealing blinds back. Generally, i will lose 2 or 3 bbs, while waiting for my spot to shove and steal. Remember they dont want to double you up or lose a lot of chips that close to the $$. Open up your range of starting hands late, pick your spots, and dont play scared. If you are scared of losing then you are playing outside of your bankroll.

KingQuadDaddy

KingQuadDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of you are right on previous comments, about picking your spots on a maniac agg player. This only works when you catch cards and early on in an MTT. Late in a tournament youll get eatin alive waiting for a premium hand, Blinds and antes will cripple your stack, and when you finally get that hand, ill call if the price is right with ATC. Then youll call me a donk for taking you out with junk, so i can better position myself to make a $ run.

bprpm

bprpm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With agressive players we need to play less hands, so against that players we need to play tight, if i out a position, never raise, and if the board is good for us we can raise in the river for value..... Somebody slowplay is good move to because in 80% or more in the cases they will bet.....
Never bluff that players, probably you'll loose a lot of chips
bprpm

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I do have this problem, most of the times when I am big blind, in a MMT tournament, next to the prize pool and don't have much chips. Some players play agressive and really get some money from me. Some times I go all in against them and they just fold. But keep doing that on next BB. Thanks you guys.
when you are in the Big Blind and players on late position open the pot first of all you have to have a hand cause it's -EV in the long run. secondly a player who's openin from late position have a wide range, so you can 3bet shove with 66+, Axs, A9+, K9s+, KT+. and just call with big pairs to get value.

D

danntesvarna

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience and strike with ,better kicker or nice 2 pairs 10-10 or better!Kick him faster with better hand!Don`t Think Too much!