How many times do you win a tournament?

MusterIsBack

MusterIsBack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I play about two Holdem tournaments a day but I only get ITM once every three or four days.
I wanted to see what your situation is in tournaments؟

rustixxx

rustixxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey. I try to play two tournaments every day, in a week I can win only one or two tournaments, And then I do not take the first place but still win some amount.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 3 or 4 a day. I try to o cash.at least 3 a week. Some have 6000+ starters and only
pay top 54. You have to finish top 1% just to cash.

ajtrevor

ajtrevor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not win that often but I have won before so I’d say just keep going and your percentage will start to increase.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
dude first you have to train your gameplay in sit in go and then move on to the MTTS I currently didn’t even win a tournament, I’m at the itm or final table but never won, the last tournament that got far was the 3.30 Ko that I was in second!

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, my affairs are much better, with 3-4 tournaments the probability of getting into the ITM I have 80%)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately I have been playing tournaments a little. I don’t have enough time for this.

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it does not matter how many tourneys you reach the ITM,
it is more important that how deep you go through a tournaments
in fact most of your winnings will be when you go deep (like the last 30)

dominisantus

dominisantus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently, I’ve been playing MTT more and more, in ITM well ... about 7-8 out of 35, I don’t go above micro limits yet, on the whole, exactly, no minus, no plus ...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i estimate i win 1:290 mtts played.

here is a rough breakdown:
  • this won't be 100% accurate as i can't access my full tilt, pokerstars, ultimate bet, or absolute poker stats. if i were to estimate, i'd say i have ~10 mtt wins (i'm including mtsngs as an mtt) across the sites and have played ~6000 mtts. i know i played ~2500 mtts on both pokerstars and full tilt. i didn't put in very much volume on ultimatebet or absolute poker.
  • on other sites, including: americas card room, black chip poker, sportsbetting, bet online, bovada, carbon poker, and intertops poker, i have played an estimated ~7000 mtts since black friday and have ~35 mtt wins.
  • total wins = ~45 mtts, give or take, and i've played an estimated ~13k mtts since 2005.
  • an average of 1 mtt win every ~290 mtts.

Last edited:
Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I play about two Holdem tournaments a day but I only get ITM once every three or four days.

Tournaments payout 10-15% of the field. If you are cashing 1 in 6-10 tournaments you are doing an average job.

If you are cashing slightly more than this you are doing well.

It's important to be aware of this so that you don't have unrealistic expectations. It is not easy to cash a tournament everyday unless you are playing 10+ games every session :mad:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it does not matter how many tourneys you reach the ITM,
it is more important that how deep you go through a tournaments
in fact most of your winnings will be when you go deep (like the last 30)

Great advice here as well, and it hits on a point Barry Greenstein made in his book 'ace on the river'

If you are cashing tournaments 20-25% of the time you are probably playing too cautiously on the bubble and passing up on opportunities to accumulate chips.

The focus shouldn't be on how often you are cashing, but how often you are running deep and WINNING. If you want to play tournaments at a serious rate this needs to be a fundamental part of your thoughts around the game.

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many times do you win a tournament

Not that much something always happens

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have won many tournaments , a few months ago . But i also have lost like that . It help me have more experience , so interestitng when play in a big tournament and gian million $ . ever tried , ever failed , no matter , try again failed better .

P

Pokerbluffer123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually free rolls I win in top 10-50 places

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only won a free tournament I did not win another tournament

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How Am I Doing If...

I won the CardsChat intertops Freeroll tonight for $25.50 (92 entered) and finished 2nd in Intertops JackpotsFreeroll for $18.12 (282 players & 300 Rebuys). And of course, they were playing concurrently. I have to admit, I did also play one other freeroll... did not go as well.

In all honesty, I have to say, I have never had that good of finishes in two freerolls in one day... but on the other hand, I typically do not play more than one or two max in one day. (I do fortunately have a day job!).

Oh well, I know I am being Brag-A-Docious here (I apologize, but I am a little pumped-up, please forgive me)... but the main reason I replied to your post in this thread is that I have watched a few of your videos over the last couple days and I like them a lot (coincidence?)! Also, I would like to thank you for your participation in this forum! :) You have replied to a couple of my posts and your insights are very much appreciated!

Best of Luck Evan Jarvis, And All, at The Tables

CheezeWiz

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good afternoon!
When I started playing in 2017, I also had few passes to the money in tournaments. I played terribly, I didn’t play according to my bankroll, I played at high stakes for money (zoom). In general, it was a typical fish :D:D:D
Now, after 3 years, the situation is certainly better. I get to ITM much more often, lately there are more and more final tables, and of course there are first places, albeit in small tournaments!
Good luck at the tables!

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never won at mtt. Only in satellites. Played a lot at the final tables. Very often I get to the prizes.

B

bonart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just started online poker 6 weeks ago.
Started playing freerolls and lucky to win twice. Also a 2nd and a 4th.
In the money about 60%.
But there are bad days that I just get busted out.
The 30 day Cardschat course is a good base to start on.
Now I am starting to play £1.10 and 2.20 tournaments on PokerStar.

Just in the money 50% of the time and still never more than 18th.
It is a start so hope I make a final table soon.

Good luck in your games.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ITM of course an important fact of playing MTT, but for me it is much more important to go as far as possible in the tournament.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on tourney, sometimes the basic target is the ITM, but more likely the min target is FT.
I'm okay with ITM, but not so good on final tables, even the top 3 is okay, it is in balance, but the heads ups are terrible. I won 8 or 9, and the 2nd places around 30-35... there is the place where I lose a lot of money, even if it would be like 20-20 1st and 2nd place, I would be up by 1.5-2K $...

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are cashing tournaments 20-25% of the time you are probably playing too cautiously on the bubble and passing up on opportunities to accumulate chips.

Hi all , great to have Gripsed here with us, great ideas from everyone, I will sorta disagree with this part, I feel you can still manage your itm cashes without getting too carried away on the bubble, I'm short stacked at times in some mtt (probably due to my lack of skills) however some stubborness and clever poker mixed with lots of luck can still allow me to slowly chip up without taking excessive risks (well as much as poker allows) and then get itm , from there the dynamic changes (sometimes) and a lot of players either due to the relief or whatever other matters, get real loose and flowery , going allin with a range more suited to 4 handed play, so here either I tighten up a bit and "ladder" or simply wait for premium type hands or pressure in position, and start chipping up that way, it could be different ideas for different players, however shows that still possible to have it all - percentage type poker to get itm, then perhaps some extra awareness and risks at the right time will lead to a deep run .
Part of this means a player may still go very deep or win (we never really know which mtt we will win) so why not get itm in the meantime and one of these may be the ones that lead to victory ?
I get that there's variance and being super aggresive , aiming mainly for the victory from the bubble point may help get a huge stack which can ride out "variance" , it will be more risky and may only work say 8% of the time, the rest of the time getting knocked out around the bubble or getting short stacked by doubling up short stacks who will be shoving everything since they can't "weather out the bubble period" ,
running deep means good cards as far as I know, good bluffs etc and plays in certain spots, sometimes it is about the cards , the big moments, AA vs KK , AK vs AQ , TT vs 99 , sometimes these whichever side gets lucky , will win a huge pot and decide the deepness of the running , so I don't see how extra risk at the bubble relates to these big moments,
I'm still learning so I'm tempremental , and having a good string/percentage of itm builds my confidence and belief , pushing me ever forwards (hopefully) , if I think about the opposite of that - very big plays with mid size of big stack around the bubble and then busting out, can only imagine how it could play with someone's confidence,
anyway just what's on my mind, just an opinion , have fun and hope I get better, and we meet at the tables :)

p.s

The focus shouldn't be on how often you are cashing, but how often you are running deep and WINNING. If you want to play tournaments at a serious rate this needs to be a fundamental part of your thoughts around the game.

this 2nd part I agree with, running deep should be the focus and long term goal, whenever I manage this I feel good and even tempers my emotions if I don't win, as I will feel I have already accomplished most of what I would have set out to do, always good running deep .

B

blakeup295

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have received cash from a Tournament like 5 times total out of like 100 but I **** around on the free rolls a lot... I need to stay disciplined and patient and play like it costed me to play and I’m sure I would win a lot more

adoadoado76

adoadoado76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the situation is satisfactory,all depending on how hungry and cursed a man is.does he play or experiencing psychological problems.??:)