How many "Rebuys" would you make in an online tournament before giving up?

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Surely, there are many brave people who do not give up and rebuys, rebuys, ... up to more than 6 times, but after two REBUYS I give up, if they eliminate me I'll leave it there, tomorrow will be another day and waiting of the same tournament to play with a better mood.

What would you do in the same case?:wavey::hahaha::eek:

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
0. I would not re-buy. I believe it is a bad bet.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Rebuys are not very expensive. Usually players make it till the end of the rebuy/add on period, hoping to match their hands and possibly, start to play tightly.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In normal tournaments I typically only rebuy or reenter 1-2 times and often not at all. In R+A tournaments my first goal is always to make it to the add-on period, and therefore I will rebuy as many times, as its takes to reach that goal. Occationally I might give up before the add-on, but that is only, if I am tired or tilted or prefer to focus on other tournaments, I have running.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only i could make rebuys if i'm close to bubble.

:icon_pale And how do you survive the bubble if the blinds are so high but the earlier ones, is it worth the chips they give you?:confused:

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually i try to reach add on on every mtt.. i don't keep in mind how many rebuys i make

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
0. I would not re-buy. I believe it is a bad bet.

Is there a poker book that says that or is it your way of thinking?
icon5.gif

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont usually re-buy at all. I am a typical one and done guy. That being said I do occasionally re-buy in events when I lose to a bad beat very early in the tournament and there are no others about to start or worth playing at the moment .

Is it worth re-buyin 3 or more time I question. Considering what a min cash is worth and once you buy in 3 time how deep you need to go just to break even makes me question the value to keep doing this.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I do not like re-buy tourneys but sometimes play satellite games which are require re-buys. In that case I can do a maximum 3.

Takoyaki

Takoyaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely make a rebuy. Usually I sign up for another tournament and let it go. Unless, is a really special tournament and I got a really bad beat at start, else I wouldn't rebuy.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will fire about 3 bullets max on online tournaments unless there is some ridiculous value. I tend to start middle of a 2-4 hour registration. Slows down the rate of bullets with less registration time. If you are using bankroll Management. Rebuys should not be an issue. If you have a $300 BR - 3 rebuys in a $3.30 tournament is about $10. Does the tournament you are playing in have value or players registered to rebuy? 200 players - maybe 500 players or more -yes :)

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:icon_pale And how do you survive the bubble if the blinds are so high but the earlier ones, is it worth the chips they give you?:confused:

there are different tournaments with different conditions and players. in some tournaments you can ensure ITM with a certain chips without playing a hand but there are another tournaments when bubble can last about 30 minutes. only the experience will give you a good answer for this.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are different tournaments with different conditions and players. in some tournaments you can ensure ITM with a certain chips without playing a hand but there are another tournaments when bubble can last about 30 minutes. only the experience will give you a good answer for this.
Ok, I understand your point of view and you are right in the answer. By the way, that about spirituality is true, it is an infallible truth. BEING is the most important thing before DOING and HAVING. To feel BETTER, many must HAVE money to DO what they want, so they feel BETTER. Without money you don't get to feel better, this is an example and I can give you many more. Greetings, friend, and cheers.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Surely, there are many brave people who do not give up and rebuys, rebuys, ... up to more than 6 times, but after two REBUYS I give up, if they eliminate me I'll leave it there, tomorrow will be another day and waiting of the same tournament to play with a better mood.

What would you do in the same case?:wavey::hahaha::eek:

You are correct - some will rebuy 6 times.

Personally once or twice is enough.

Sometimes the prize money is so good that I might buy a 3rd. But 3rd buy-in has never gotten me ITM.

Don't forget the importance of staying within your bankroll management.

Good luck !

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to do quite well in re-buys. You need to plan properly if you are going to play in a re-buy tournament.

1. Stay within your bankroll limits. If your budget is $10 tournaments you should not play above $3.30 re-buys.
  2. If you have no intention of re-buying - don't play in re-buys.
  3. Always budget for at least 2 re-buys and the add-on. If you can't afford that then don't play the re-buy tournament.
  4. Re-buy immediately when the game starts - you will start with double the chips of everyone on your table who is not skilled enough at re-buys to know that is a must. Your goal is always to have more chips than your opponents. :)
  5. Use good judgement for the next re-buys. It depends on how your game is going, how far you have made it, your table, etc. At some point it is not worth investing more money - you should be making that decision before you start.
  6. ALWAYS take the add-on if you make it that far. Chances are you are not the best player left in the game and you need all the chips you can get your hands on to win the tournament.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to do quite well in re-buys. You need to plan properly if you are going to play in a re-buy tournament.
  1. Stay within your bankroll limits. If your budget is $10 tournaments you should not play above $3.30 re-buys.
  2. If you have no intention of re-buying - don't play in re-buys.
  3. Always budget for at least 2 re-buys and the add-on. If you can't afford that then don't play the re-buy tournament.
  4. Re-buy immediately when the game starts - you will start with double the chips of everyone on your table who is not skilled enough at re-buys to know that is a must. Your goal is always to have more chips than your opponents. :)
  5. Use good judgement for the next re-buys. It depends on how your game is going, how far you have made it, your table, etc. At some point it is not worth investing more money - you should be making that decision before you start.
  6. ALWAYS take the add-on if you make it that far. Chances are you are not the best player left in the game and you need all the chips you can get your hands on to win the tournament.

Some solid advice from Debi. However its unclear to me, if OP is actually talking about R+A tournaments, or if he just mean those tournaments, where you can rebuy/reenter, if you lose all your chips within the late registration period.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some solid advice from Debi. However its unclear to me, if OP is actually talking about R+A tournaments, or if he just mean those tournaments, where you can rebuy/reenter, if you lose all your chips within the late registration period.

Good point - there is a big difference in a re-buy and a re-entry.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will fire 1-2 bullets rarely 3 - I think I've done 4 once and made profit by busting out in something like 14th.
I'll often rebuy if I receive a bad beat and feel like the field is available for chip donations (soft). I won't consider rebuying unless I have at least 15bb or more.

Thankfully ACR doesn't have bull crap add-ons at the micros - so I don't have to worry about paying double for every tourney I play, unless I choose to rebuy.

jrgum25

jrgum25

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to challenge myself to play well enough to not have to rebuy in a rebuy tournament but I typically will rebuy at most once or twice if my bankroll allows it. Otherwise I don't think its wise to keep rebuying because you'll go through your whole bankroll doing that.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only do guys playing satellites and freerolls of the poker school. I play rebuy and addon if I see that I will significantly increase my chances. If this is a satellite where there are too few prizes, I see no point in re-buys.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am speaking strictly about a Liveroll (money on site) here.

If your a micro player with a million back basically do what ever your heart desires.

If you have a health bank back like 3 or 4 times your live roll adjust normally depending on the ease of getting money in to said live roll.

With a + aver ROI and a 1000 BI roll you can fire those bullets in small fields until the cows come home. in large best to limit them somewhat under 6.

With 500 BI divisor you should probably keep them them to 4 in small fields and to 2 in Large.

With 250 or less only fire 1 or 2 in small fields and usually early (like before 40 BB) I wouldn't play many if any large field events with a 250 BI divisor.

With 100 BI or less (the absolute top of your BI range) I would keep it to one and only go 2 if it is very early in the ring and the field is super soft. Another reason is it is a special event or you are taking a controlled shot.

I would never fire multiples in a bounty event unless it was VERY early in the event.

For example:
your a micro grinder and have $250 liveroll onsite and no convenient way of loading on more.

Any $.25 game (before rake) or less: (10%-30% of all games)
Fire away in those small fields hold back just a bit in large ones

Any $.50 game : (<30% of all games)
In small fields 3-4 , 2 in large. (I very seldom go over 3 in any case at this 500 level)
( I fervently seek out 5+ "blasters" for active exploitation )

Any $1 game: (<30% of all games)
Only small fields and only 2 bullets and only if early (no late regging with shallow stacks)

Any $1.50 game: (<15% of all games) about the same as above just tighter

Any $2.50 game: restricted small fields singleton and doubles only early in small soft fields) ( 5%- 10% of all games)

Any $3 (< 5% of games) About the same as above only tighter

Any $4 or $5 (1% of games) strictly limit re entrys to Very early and with very strict entry criteria only.

specific plans for rebuys and all add ons should be added to initial buy in price.

For example: a $1.00 buy in with a $1.00 add on is a $2 tourney. a similar tourney with an additional 2 $.50 rebuys is at least a $2.50 if not a $3.00 tourney.

a +EV micro grinder should be able to produce some volume and grind his way up in stakes fairly regularly with a live roll and execution plan such as this

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rest of the post.

I am speaking strictly about a Liveroll (money on site) here.

If your a micro player with a million back basically do what ever your heart desires.

If you have a health bank back like 3 or 4 times your live roll adjust normally depending on the ease of getting money in to said live roll.

With a + aver ROI and a 1000 BI roll you can fire those bullets in small fields until the cows come home. in large best to limit them somewhat under 6. Very large fields GTDs, any satellites, events (although usually defined as some sort of controlled shot taking),
can be played at this level

With 500 BI divisor you should probably keep them to 4 in small fields and to 2 in mid sized tourneys.

With 250 or less only fire 1 or 2 in small fields and usually early (like before 40 BB)
*I wouldn't play many if any large field events with a 250 BI divisor.

With 100 BI or less (the absolute top of your BI range) I would keep it to one and only go 2 if it is very early in the ring and the field is super soft. Another reason is it is a special event or you are taking a controlled shot.

I would never fire multiples in a bounty event unless it was VERY early in the event.

For example:
your a micro grinder and have $250 liveroll onsite and no convenient way of loading on more.

Any $.25 game (before rake) or less: (10%-30% of all games)
Fire away in those small fields hold back just a bit in large ones

Any $.50 game : (<30% of all games)
In small fields 3-4 , 2 in large. (I very seldom go over 3 in any case at this 500 level)
( I fervently seek out 5+ "blasters" for active exploitation )

Any $1 game: (<30% of all games)
Only small fields and only 2 bullets and only if early (no late regging in on shallow stacks)

Any $1.50 game: (<15% of all games) about the same as above just tighter

Any $2.50 game: ( 5%- 10% of all games) restricted small field singletons and doubles only early in small soft fields)

Any $3 (< 5% of games) About the same as above only smaller, softer fields.

Any $4 or $5 (1% of games) strictly limit re entry’s to (none).

Specific plans for re-buys and all add-ons should be added to initial buy in price.

For example: a $1.00 buy in with a $1.00 add on is a $2 tourney. a similar tourney with an additional 2 $.50 re-buys is at least a $2.50 if not a $3.00 tourney.

a +EV micro grinder should be able to produce some volume and grind his way up in stakes fairly regularly with a live roll and execution plan such as this

Small fields are usually under 250 players and often under 200
Medium fields are 500-250 players and often around 300 - 350
Large fields are between 500 and 750 and strangely polarized around these numbers.
Very Large Fields- 750+, multi-day events, satellites, Big GTD's

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t use rebuy at all, If I flew from the tournament, then this is a sign that luck is not on my side today

B

baykoshkar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the size of the stacks. if at the beginning of the tournament. then you can rebuy