How can I know fast who are good/"garbage" players in tournaments & freerolls?

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There`s no quick way to know people.
Better take notes, and pay attention at the table, hand after hand.

gery

gery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
. . . you could never know who is good or bad, all players could make a bluff.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is no clear gradation here, it all depends on the tournament and the specific situation

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are a competent player then you can recognize a weaker players so fast. Recreational players limps a lot, if they open they do it with different bet sizes. For example 2x with KJo, but 3.5x with AA. They min raise you preflop, postflop, donk a lot, they min bet, they pot bet in spots when it doesn't make any sense. They try to hit a draw without proper odds or set mine on shallow stack, etc. etc There are a lot of factors.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Serious question

Players want to know the difference between good and garbage players, ring game, tourney or freeroll

Some have offered legit advice, others not so much as just vapors.

They say about computers that they don’t actually think, they just process data

If it’s garbage data in, often garbage results come back

So…..how do I separate the golden nuggets of legit info from the rest of the garbage players who are just spitting out “I think this” and “I think that”????

I will say, be careful here. As you said, a lot of vapors. This was the first thing I noticed in the forums. Many ppl just write down for the sake of it, some never really done any study.

But...

You will find some users who are providing real information here. It is quite easy to identify, check their username and go to sharkscope to check if the person is really playing the game or not.

Majority of the info I see is just one liners without any context. Feels like bar conversation lol lol

To the question, I can identify good/constant players after I started using my HUD and kept track of them in the field I play. It takes time.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
according to the manner of the game

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
You can't quickly know the level of your opponents first, you have to wait and watch, and then use the HUD software. but in live poker the HUD will not help you, but your memory will help you, so I advise you that you should not rely entirely on HUD, and practice remembering your opponents with your memory, and that In order to maintain a strong memory

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately there is no quick way to find out, the only way is to make annotations about the players and for this you need a lot of time playing with the same group, here in Cardschat it works out well because you always play with the same players and you can get to know them well In other types of tournaments I imagine that it is more difficult to do something like that. Regards.

H

HRVATSKIBOGMARS

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
When some players go all in in the first or second hand in the start of tournament, that is sign for me. Good players never do that.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
When some players go all in in the first or second hand in the start of tournament, that is sign for me. Good players never do that.

Lets say not even 5 minutes to tournament and you already get AA - then what are you going to do? Fold right ...

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
if you are a competent player then you can recognize a weaker players so fast. Recreational players limps a lot, if they open they do it with different bet sizes. For example 2x with KJo, but 3.5x with AA. They min raise you preflop, postflop, donk a lot, they min bet, they pot bet in spots when it doesn't make any sense. They try to hit a draw without proper odds or set mine on shallow stack, etc. etc There are a lot of factors.

Could agree more, this is very good advice

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing that sticks out for me is not just that someone is limping a lot, but that they are doing it quickly. I mean like the second that the action is on them.

That seems like they are saying that they are bound and determined to play just about every pot no matter their holding.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
At first is the 100BB jam without action before. So if he has a made hand less people would call it, and if somebody call it only with a monster hand or trash(so this caller is also a trash player). On the other side if all people fold you could not win chips, and thats all of the game. You have not much chances to generate chips so every excellent starting hand is important to increase your chip stack and its a fail if you make such gifts and did not win chips with these cards. Another thing is calling with bad hands and waiting of the miracle river card.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
There is an old axiom if you can't recognize the fish, then you are the fish.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if there is a fast way to determine how good or bad players are at the tables. I believe that the only way to know for sure is to be observant and pay attention to your opponents and to learn their tendencies and this takes time.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If an unknown play raises 6 hands in a row and is often raising and re-raising when the cards are dealt you can be fairly sure this person is loose aggressive. However, you must pay attention to what hand is actually shown down and then decide if this person played the hand logically or like an idiot, and if he should have been involved in the hand in the first place.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can tell by the way the players play their game. If some are aggressive others may be tight and others may just play the hands they feel will win. It is easy to tell and you can write notes down to let yourself know how they play.

Beatlebug

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Poker is not a fast game, nor is it an exact science, a good player will turn on the aggression from time to time depending on many different factors, like his Chip stack or Position on the table, Who he feels are tight players etc, and at times he will slow down his aggression to keep players guessing on his playing style.
When you constantly come up against the same players, as in a Cardschat Free-roll, you can on some site's make notes on players, pokerstars allows you to make notes, and you can change the players Avatar border to a different colour, for example Red for Aggressive players, or Blue for Passive/Tight players and of course you can change their colour if they start to show an alternative style.
A good player will always change their style, when playing, to keep you guessing, but then again so will bad players, depending on their hole cards, so it is never going to be easy.
Getting a read on a player when playing on-line is extremely hard as the only real information you have is their betting styles, you cannot see the little eye twitches or throbbing veins in their necks, as you can in a live game, so it all boils down to intuition, and you have to go with your gut instincts, I have made some very dubious calls and won hands even with just bottom pair or an Ace High hand. That takes a long time to be able to make those calls and many thousand's of hand's experience, Some times I am right, some times I lose, but usually when I am wrong my Tournament life is not in jeopardy, and I can still make a come back, even with a short stack.
That is why I love playing Poker! It's Exciting!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
No way to tell. Everyone can be or not.

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think that Pokerpoet2 said it all. I agree with Her/Him

S

SirChris88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there really many garbage players? To be honest, I think there's less than people think there is. Like, players can vary in the style they play good (genuinely playing) and another they play terrible hands cause there just passing time.

D

Danieleli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Huds can be very helpful on this matter.. like it was already said there's no fast way but if you pay attention to the game even in the hands you are not playing you will already have some advantage. Pay attention if the player limps a lot, bet sizes and how many hands they go the see the flop.. also pay attention to the cards when they go to showdown.

Freeroll Passwords