How do you stay focused on a 5 or 6 hour tournament?

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually it is quite difficult to be focused for so long on the game I am recrational and it seems quite difficult if it lasted 1 or 2 hours maximum and with enough difficulty if you have some tips it would be fantastic
It's difficult

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's actually not easy to focus for so many hours of playing. For me, when the game is going well, I have no problem with it. I keep full concentration and the game does not last. It's worse when it does not go too much. Then different thoughts come, not always reasonable to play vabank. I hate this kind of situation.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play on 3-4 tables, tourneys in the same time, so it is easy for me, checking stats, watching some movie, series next to that (better than watch the others hands after a while, and wonder about RNG insanity..., i focus more for my hands, how i play them), so I am not going nuts, if the game slow down, 1-2 table left, or i have to fold through hours... of course when a bad beat is coming, it is pretty different, try to focus losing less, do not go on tilt, what is the hardest, when i planned to play a 10-12+ hours session, stop after few hours, or wait for the next tourneys for hours, instead of going rebuy more, or out of my buyin range.....

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I find it very hard to concentrate for long periods and for that reason I have started to play less MTTs and prefer single table K.O.s I can usually do pretty good in the early stages of an MTT but as the game progresses towards the bubble I find I am playing less hands and my chips start to dwindle away.
In a single table game I find I can usually stay the distance and win most of the time although there are days when I just get card dead and lose every hand like flush against flush or my boat beaten by a bigger boat, It happens but hey! that's what Poker is all about.
You have to take a break and come back when the hands become more favorable.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play on 3-4 tables, tourneys in the same time, so it is easy for me, checking stats, watching some movie, series next to that (better than watch the others hands after a while, and wonder about RNG insanity..., i focus more for my hands, how i play them), so I am not going nuts, if the game slow down, 1-2 table left, or i have to fold through hours... of course when a bad beat is coming, it is pretty different, try to focus losing less, do not go on tilt, what is the hardest, when i planned to play a 10-12+ hours session, stop after few hours, or wait for the next tourneys for hours, instead of going rebuy more, or out of my buyin range.....
if entering tilt is very dangerous

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it very hard to concentrate for long periods and for that reason I have started to play less MTTs and prefer single table K.O.s I can usually do pretty good in the early stages of an MTT but as the game progresses towards the bubble I find I am playing less hands and my chips start to dwindle away.
In a single table game I find I can usually stay the distance and win most of the time although there are days when I just get card dead and lose every hand like flush against flush or my boat beaten by a bigger boat, It happens but hey! that's what Poker is all about.
You have to take a break and come back when the hands become more favorable.

When the fun Stops, STOP!
I'll tell you my story, I spent 6 months without playing poker since I lost many hands and a lot of money. I lost to AA and the other one was 22 and things like that

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music or Audiobook

i listen to music or audiobook. But I’m quick to turn it off if I’m playing a hand. I also spend time taking notes on other players. I think that I the most productive thing you can do. And I rarely play multiple tables.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tilt

after about 3 hours i start to play stupid hands seeing these others going in on nothing. then when i catch some nice hand i wait and tilty goes all in and i call going up against AA when he always pushed all in with 34 os 79 off suit just frustrating seeing someone push on nothing

nba2009

nba2009

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
with a lot of music good food a coke hahaha

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Take notes on players at the table. You'll stay too busy to get tired.

M

marcrues

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually listen to a podcast if I'm in a long tournament. If I'm running deep in the tournament i will turn off all distractions.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to be a winning poker player, you have to be patient, if you can't stay focused for 6 hours, you will never win good prizes.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tell me your secret!
Provide the body with energy Physiology and thinking are closely related. The human body consists of living cells, and for their normal and effective functioning, rest and nutrients are needed. Correct blood circulation ensures the supply of the latter. During the game session, it is enough to change the position of the body and stretch a little, so that the cells receive the necessary energy boost. Here are some guidelines to remember and apply.Training to concentrate on one thing at a certain period of time There is a fairly simple, but also really effective method for increasing attention. It will help you develop the habit of doing exactly what you need for a long time
The essence of the method is listening to instrumental music. It is enough to sit down and close your eyes. Now choose for yourself any one instrument, violin, piano or any other of those that are in the composition. Try to imagine its sound for several minutes, completely ignoring all other sounds. Then move on to another tool. You can spend just 10 minutes a day on such a simple workout, and the benefits will be enormous.
Develop a schedule of sessions for yourself and strictly follow it By repeating certain actions at the same time, the brain quickly adapts and perceives what is happening in a calm mode. It will be easier for you to concentrate on the game, the tension will disappear, you will not need to force yourself to play during periods of downswings.good luck)

T

tweezer_reraise

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
music helps me alot. also utilizing the 5 min breaks to walk around. drink alot of water, stay hydrated. staying focused for long periods is def one of the things im still working on. its easy to forget how mentally draining this game can be, esp for long periods. gl at the tables!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wake up and focus when it matters most, like conserving energy.

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to be a winning poker player, you have to be patient, if you can't stay focused for 6 hours, you will never win good prizes.

Truth

If you’re six or seven hours deep in a tourney.....think about the money.

And not crapping out and getting enough $$$ to have breakfast at Mcds. You’re 7 hours in now. Make it worth your time.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
practice each day to be strong minded, to have more and more patience, discipline, and accept the fact that these tournaments do take up to 12 hours so eventually don't even think about that fact and be ready each time, if you can't because of time or because you're tired then save your money and play another time when you don't worry about time and you have full energy. maybe build up to this little by little.

Staying focus should be in the fact that you are paying attention to the game because every time you sit down in a different table it's a different game. so you have to play and focus on the game, if you really want to make final table. you have to try to be chip leader on each table you are on, so that's how I stay focused I try to double up and always looking for that opportunity. try to see who the donator is in the table. If not you have to play a bit harder and try to break them down and believe you have the most patience and discipline than any other human being alive, if not then practice for it.

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I keep a tv on just for some other noise other then that take quick breaks walk across the room and back avoid sitting as much as possible

A

alge0815

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to relax in the break. So I can restart with a fresh mindset.

I think it also important to concentrate in each hand and play it with the importance like a final hand.

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stay focused listening to music, and not talking to anyone on facebook or wasahps, or with anyone I try, I try to focus only on the tournament.