How do you play pocket deuces?

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 2 is a coin flip with A K . There is alot of value there . I will play them many different ways depending on the situation . I definetly think you are missing out by snap folding them .

How does a 50/50 flip produce ‘a lot of value’? Jesus christ....

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Same as any other small pair. Try not to commit to much to stay in and hope for the magical flop.
I'm fairly sure that hitting a set on the flip is something like 8/1 against. Exercise caution.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like any other small pocket pair, I like calling an acceptable size that allows me to set mine. I can then evaluate if the other player has a range that hits the board that flops and depending on that decision we bet or give up.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
early in a tournament i would just call and try to see a flop--the more people in the pot the better because if a deuce doesnt come on the flop you will just fold anyway and if a deuce does come if there are more people in there it is more likely that the other 2 cards hit someone. Later in a tourney if you are shortstacked and no one has entered pot ahead of you just shove with them. Calling a shove with them however will depend on many factors like how shortstacked you are, position etc.

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2CApE.jpg
2CApF.jpg

Well it really depends on situation, stack size, reads on your villains and so on...
In general, i think it's a great hand for HU situation, as we very rarely have a spot, where we meet another bigger pair. And against non-pair we are slightly a favorite with 22.
It's also a great hand for limping in multi-way pot from middle-late position at early stages of the tournament too. I mean there are chances 1 to 7 to hit third 2 on a flop, if i remember right. So this hand has huge implied odds eventually on post flop. But be careful playing that hand on paired board! Although it can be looking as we are most times ahead (which is likely truth against 1 or 2 villains on small cards flop), but the problem of deuces, it can turn to dead hand easily, when another pair comes on later streets.
For example imagine, that we have a flop like 335 and our villains have AK and QJ. So at the flop we are beating them with two pairs obviously, but there can come another 5 on later streets or let say 7 on turn and 7 on river. And our deuces are dead. AK wins with higher two pairs. So we are actually in a situation, either hit a set or give up on flop.

Id have to agree set or done on flop. I typically wouldn't call more than 2x bb bet and rarely raise with that hand.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position, stack size, and price to get in. I have won some pretty good pots with limping in and flopping the set. Most of the time it is a straight up fold but if the table allows me to get in cheap, I'm taking advantage of it. :)

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most times

most times fold . unless betting soft . then only maybe. havefunAA :D

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Usually I fold it. I played it a few times and I got three of a kind 1-2 times. Also I have lost recently from 222 with my AA!!

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them with caution. Like many situations that come up, it depends. There are many factors involved, mainly dictated by:
- Position
- Stack size
- Villians

I am looking to mine a set on the flop or fold. I will play in late position and know that stack sizes are sufficient that if I hit it will be worth it. With that, I mean that I can expect the villain(s) to pay off and have a deep enough stack... or that I have the ability to eliminate a player in the later stages of a tournament.

SoCal

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hello.A pair of 22 is a bad pair i agree .but a magic flop with a set can give you a magic pot .I think about 3 blinds raise you may call.

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love pocket 2's. I will raise it it up to about 3x the blind with them cause when they hit they are devastating.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the spot you're in the stage of the tournament.....etc lots of factors

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A pair of 2 a game paying only the smallest stake but if a bigger bet is given I fold it.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends of the situation......But most of the time i folded............I don t really like to play this hand allin preflop........I lost manny times with 2 other pairs in board and the oponent was 10 4..........9 2.......7...2....:)):)

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my cas it is probably call or fold.
If situation is tight and i don't have other solution then i go all in,but never raise with this cards.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise 222 dollars and hope for a set.

D

Dmytrych

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket deuces are too vulnerable,you can certainly raise in a position,you can go for a set!

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flatting a re-raise from either of the blinds here would be a -EV play based on their stacks. It would be a push or fold situation. And based on their play in the tournament, which had been very tight, I would lean towards folding my deuces and waiting for a better spot.

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them usually and at least see the flop, but it very much depends on position. I don’t usually make big money off them!

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on my position at the table, usually try to get in cheap, hope for a set, same strategy as with other small pocket pairs. No need to overplay them.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very careful and see the flop if nothing fold them.:):):)

mdafka

mdafka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 22 like I would any other hand, my decisions always get made based on position, actions, stack size and possibly reads I have at the table

bylly3

bylly3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on how many chips you have and what your position number is in the tournament.