How do you play Pair of KK and AA on tournaments?

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually when I have AA or KK I play very aggressive but you must know your opponents style if you bet 5 bb maybe nobody will call you so you must value bet these hands depending on your opponents and don't play them slow but aggressive enough to win.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on stack sizes (less then 20BB are shoves for example), position (UTG might limp/re-raise while BU can just call other's raises pre-flop) and opponents (knowing whether someone would call your 5x bet pre-flop or if everyone would fold to it).

S

SIMON111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not saying this is a good play, but sometimes I limp from early position if I think that there are some aggressive players in late position who will do the raising for me. Off course sometimes I'll raise as well, but I like to balance my premium hands with not so premium hands. Another point is that depending on the flop texture AA or KK are not always a given by the river. By this I mean is hard to get 3 streets of value if the board is draw heavy.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and how to know what your preflop opponent has?

L

liaserg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just contbet 3bb-5bb-7bb, if enemy too aggressive - all in

I

ikarusalpha12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hey,

i look at my position on the table and if i in early position i bet 2,5 BB and if i in late postion i do call 3,5-4 BB. And on flop, turn and river aregessiv if i hit the nuts.

ikarusalpha :)

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't slowplay with these hands. Yes they are monsters but they're still only pocket pairs and can be overtaken postflop if the board goes bad. In Early position and first in, I open the same amount as I do with any other hand. I make sure not to deviate from my normal betting patterns and strategy to conceal the strength of my hand. If I get 3Bet, then I will 4Bet for value, (Typically 2-2.5x) hoping for a call or a 5Bet shove. If I'm in Late position with these hands and facing an EP open, I will 3Bet them 3-3.5x, adding an extra 1x for any callers in the hand. I do this for two reasons, to protect my Kings or Aces from drawing hands and start building a big pot. If I get 4Bet, then I'm 5Bet shoving every time. I don't slowplay with these hands. If we get to the flop then I will continue OOP as normal on dry/safe flops, and likewise will flat call any donk bets in position and see what the turn brings. On wet boards, I proceed with caution. Facing a bet, I will generally re-raise pot on a dangerous board to deny draws the correct odds to continue, and force them to reveal their hand strength. If the turn is any dangerous looking card then I will bet big again. If they then come over the top then I will consider a fold. I will not fold if it is a player who I have read as being capable of huge postflop bluffs. If I know they are a good player who is reading board textures, and they know how I am reacting to certain cards, then I will be less likely to fold my Kings/Aces and will probably move in. This is because I know there is a higher chance that they are bluffing. But if it's a player who I know plays very straight forward and gets active when they're strong and almost never bluffs, then a big laydown might be in order. The most critical factor with KK+ is knowing your opponents. These hands are huge monsters. Play them very aggressively Preflop but proceed with caution Postflop if the board looks dangerous, and you're facing heavy action.

Last edited:
HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say these are the hands most people get in trouble with in tournaments post flop, you really want to narrow the range pre-flop by raising otherwise people come in with more speculative hands and you don't want to be wondering what to do on connected flops.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I usually play them aggresivelly, but with some measure, because sometimes the unpleasant surprises appear!

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I play in microlimites, I make it strong, but if you play at higher levels I think that raising by X2.5 or X3 is fine.

MeSayBeauxm

MeSayBeauxm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know I always thought raising 5BB with AA and only getting the blinds was preferable to getting them cracked by some bs marginal hand that got in because I made it cheap for them.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play it like every other hand u played on tourney , no exceptions , except u can't fold them preflop ! :)

Ofc if short stack , then push ...

-my opinion

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On KK or AA, I think it's always right to raise, at least 3 BB.

On KK or AA, I think it's always right to raise, at least 3 BB. Or bet 3 bet. I used to like to play such pairs with limps and as a result of 50% of hands I lost. After I started raising the game, I started to win a lot more hands, so my opponents on a small card just make a pass. On a good card, you always need to raise and do not check on the flop, then you will succeed. This is my personal strategy game, perhaps many players play differently.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
It is difficult to give a clear answer to your question. No standard solutions.
Obviously everything depends on your position and on your opponents at the table.
Good luck.

strumble

strumble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will either raise something like 3bb or just go all-in especially if it's a free roll, I would never limp with them.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course you need to play aggressively. Otherwise your hand can be beaten by an average hand. Sometimes I just throw this pocket pair into an allin.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play these pairs aggressively and often all ina...

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I play them aggressively, of course everything depends on which tournament is and the readings that I have made of the players

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's best to play all-in, so you may not win much but avoid speculative hands that are dangerous

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I start playing these hands with a simple raise, and then I increase my bet, depending from the flop and the reactions of the other players

timberwolf94

timberwolf94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems like if I slow play or try to trap with these hands I lose a lot. If I play aggressive I win a little so I'd really rather not even have these hands

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go All-in preflop. It gives you a better chance to double up rather than losing more or all your chips to a bad beat or fishes!

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such cards I play very aggressively, I try to provoke opponents to go all in

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to put your opponents in allin