How the big moment got the best of me....Level 7 of venom...BUSTED

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey All,

Sometimes....you have to "go for the glory". And sometimes....that can be a mistake. Being a micro level player, I've built up a small BR thru many freerolls and .50 and $1 tourneys.

My biggest step up was today. I passed the level 6 venom satellite and got the $630 level 7 seat. My biggest mistake (which is in hindsight), is that I opted not to go for 2nd place in level 6 and get the Guaranteed $215 cash. Instead of taking the profitable fall, I went for the win and WON the LEVEL 7 $630 ticket.

Now enter level 7, winner gets the $2500+ venom main event ticket. This is where the big moment got the best of me. I completely bombed it, punted it away. Didn't raise preflop with my Axs. The pots I did raise and got called on, I didnt make the continuation bets and let my opponents catch up. Didn't protect my blinds in obvious steal situations. Basically my game that got me to this level was nowhere to be found. Got out last place for $0.

What would you have done? Taken the $215? Have you played way above your league and gotten an amazing result?

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would of taken the $215

S

Scottish77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you did the right thing taking the chance of the $2500 main event prize, although you are saying your game changed and you played differently..perhaps a little scared as the prize was so big.. you should have played your usual game and if you went out at least you know you did so playing your A game..lessons learned and move on from it and if your ever in the same situation again then you know what to do and how to play it

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you did the right thing taking the chance of the $2500 main event prize, although you are saying your game changed and you played differently..perhaps a little scared as the prize was so big.. you should have played your usual game and if you went out at least you know you did so playing your A game..lessons learned and move on from it and if your ever in the same situation again then you know what to do and how to play it

Yeah, definitely next time, I will be better prepared mentally. In order to win, you must be willing to die. That's the winning approach to this game, can't play scared.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will get back there. Take a couple 2nd place ($215) to build that roll, then you can go for the big one. Good luck and keep us posted.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go big or go home. I'm going for it here as you did. You seem to know where you went wrong and sometimes it just isn't in the cards. Commend you on the courageous effort and the nice run to get there. Good luck in future tournaments.

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go big or go home. I'm going for it here as you did. You seem to know where you went wrong and sometimes it just isn't in the cards. Commend you on the courageous effort and the nice run to get there. Good luck in future tournaments.

Thanks man, good to hear from a veteran.

Also, I always had the option to enter a larger field $630 tourney (the daily high roller ones).

Next time....the story continues

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow! This is impressive and very inspiring! Congrats on making it as far as you did. I think you did the right thing in going for it all. Keep up the good work and best of luck in later tournaments! :)

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you did the right thing winning the step 7 ticket

i guess you tightened up and didn't play like you normally do because the stakes were higher

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
That is why I would choose to take the $215, I know I would of played totally different when there is more money at stake, scared poker makes you play bad.

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would of taken the $215

not "I would OF taken" but "I would HAVE taken"

I thought I was the only Grammar Nazi round these here parts!

I would have been tempted to take the 2nd place money because, like EvertonGirl said, if the stakes are much higher than your typical comfort zone, you'll be playing scared - and scared poker is almost always bad poker. By the way, pardon my ignorance but: what IS this Venom thingy of which you speak?

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Week player I have this in mind also to reach the Venom through the steps also a micro player but if I reach final Step SNG and have the chance to cash 600$ or the ticket to the venom I would go for sure for the 600$ and keep trying hehehe cause with the 2500$ ticket you can go busted in the tourney and cash 0$ like happen to you but common let's keep trying :D good luck!

A

ACR Rep

AmericasCardroom Rep
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I would have been tempted to take the 2nd place money because, like EvertonGirl said, if the stakes are much higher than your typical comfort zone, you'll be playing scared - and scared poker is almost always bad poker. By the way, pardon my ignorance but: what IS this Venom thingy of which you speak?

Hi, thanks for your interest on knowing more about The Venom, let me give you a couple of extra details:

The $6 Million Venom was a multi-day event exclusive on Americas Cardroom.

The previous Venom had a total of 4 flights or what we call Day 1 options. A million bucks guaranteed for first place. Also the option to get into it for free. Players got their seat either through Mega satellites or via Skip tournaments, find all relevant details in our website for the past Venom on December 2019:

https://www.americascardroom.eu/online-poker-promotions/the-venom/

Our next Venom will take place late July 2020, keep an eye for the exact dates, tournaments schedules and the guaranteed prizes on our website.

We hope to see you there, don´t loose the chance to become the next Venom millionaire poker player!:star:

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not "I would OF taken" but "I would HAVE taken"

This is exactly the answer I was looking for when I posted this. Only if I would'VE known, I may have (may've?) posted earlier :)

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Its ACR's biggest event. They have a 7 step satellite method to get the main event ticket (level 1 can be a freeroll step)

ACR is amazing.

Last edited:
P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on entering lvl 7!!! My best was lvl 5,and if I had a chance I would do same thing like you did. Probably it will be same result like your, but you never know. Never give up, always fight for the best, and,, who dares- wins”

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its ACR's biggest event. They have a 7 step satellite method to get the main event ticket (level 1 can be a freeroll step)

ACR is amazing.

Thanks very much for cluing me in, I've never used ACR because for years the name made me assume it was only for the USA. I know better now, just haven't got round to downloading the software, signing up and giving it a go. Just let me bump that up my never-ending To-Do list...!

ldw22

ldw22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, thanks for your interest on knowing more about The Venom, let me give you a couple of extra details:

The $6 Million Venom was a multi-day event exclusive on Americas Cardroom.

The previous Venom had a total of 4 flights or what we call Day 1 options. A million bucks guaranteed for first place. Also the option to get into it for free. Players got their seat either through Mega satellites or via Skip tournaments, find all relevant details in our website for the past Venom on December 2019:

https://www.americascardroom.eu/online-poker-promotions/the-venom/

Our next Venom will take place late July 2020, keep an eye for the exact dates, tournaments schedules and the guaranteed prizes on our website.

We hope to see you there, don´t loose the chance to become the next Venom millionaire poker player!:star:

Sounds very exciting, thanks for taking the time to post and for the link, I shall deffo get on board the ACR train!