Have you played in the main Venom?

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If so would be very interested to know how long the event actually went on for? It is listed as 4 days and need to book some time off. However based on the prize pool this only needs 2,400 entrants to meet the guarantee so wonder if previously it even ran much into the third day?

Having a lot longer blinds did you tighten up your starting hands at all? Normally you want to play quite loose aggressive but this is not a typical structured tournament.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How have you found the play in this tournament compared to $55-$109 tournaments bearing in mind this has a $2650 entry fee?

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it is out of your time zone do you adjust sleeping pattern for big tourneys?

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I never played the Venom twice got to step 6 from freerolls and could not get in. But I have played many other big online mtts over the years.

Treat it like a regular game and enjoy your experience. Most important thing is you got to mentality remove the buyin from your decisions and try and make the right decisions.

There are multiple Day 1's I suggest not playing the the first one but play a later one that way you can scout what is happening on games e.g. what play is like at tables how much chips players that make it through have.

There is also a specific number of levels that are played every day 1 so you should easily know the start and end times. Adjust your schedule accordingly so that you have enough time to play it and that you are well rested and mentally prepared to go when the time comes.

Anything above $100 plays the same way. There will be a bunch of aggro and good players but this might have a few soft spots as there are many qualifiers some that got in for free.

Strategy wise should be same as a regular mtt. You base your strategy on your opponents and the cards you are dealt. Try to play the style you are most comfortable with. Always keenly observe table and make notes. Look for players to target and exploit.

I am a serial late register if i was playing it I would late register I am comfortable with starting with 30-50BB you might be different and starting from the beginning of tournament might be optimal. You want to try and play to our strengths.

I hope this helps

Best of luck

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Irrespective of the structure, you should play tight in the early phase of the tourney and when you reach 2 day of the tourney and in the money you should loosen up a bit of your range to take advantage of the image you set on the table.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never played the Venom twice got to step 6 from freerolls and could not get in. But I have played many other big online mtts over the years.

Treat it like a regular game and enjoy your experience. Most important thing is you got to mentality remove the buyin from your decisions and try and make the right decisions.

There are multiple Day 1's I suggest not playing the the first one but play a later one that way you can scout what is happening on games e.g. what play is like at tables how much chips players that make it through have.

There is also a specific number of levels that are played every day 1 so you should easily know the start and end times. Adjust your schedule accordingly so that you have enough time to play it and that you are well rested and mentally prepared to go when the time comes.

Anything above $100 plays the same way. There will be a bunch of aggro and good players but this might have a few soft spots as there are many qualifiers some that got in for free.

Strategy wise should be same as a regular mtt. You base your strategy on your opponents and the cards you are dealt. Try to play the style you are most comfortable with. Always keenly observe table and make notes. Look for players to target and exploit.

I am a serial late register if i was playing it I would late register I am comfortable with starting with 30-50BB you might be different and starting from the beginning of tournament might be optimal. You want to try and play to our strengths.

I hope this helps

Best of luck

Many thanks for you thorough answer, was good for another perspective.

Well done on reaching step 6 a couple of times, I managed step 5 but didn't get that high so jumped into a direct satellite. I have been thinking as you said about not thinking about the buyin as otherwise you can be easily exploited and will make incorrect folds. I am hoping I will do that on the day as I seemed okay on bubble of the satellite which is a similar scenario.

I was going to end the last day of the Venom. The worry is if something unforeseen happens that day I have left myself no other days to enter and do not get the break between day 1 and 2. But on the other side this gives me much more time to read up on theory and prep. While I think I have a good sound knowledge I have never really studied GTO and want to try and go through some of that beforehand. Also playing the small blind which I m too tight on. But find completing the small blind to the degree you are meant to a difficult scenario when you are out of position and the big blind will often be aggro so to play pots with weaker holdings to be too risky.

I do not know if they have two many dates for day 1. Day 1 only had 432 entrants so hoping day 4 will have similar, I would rather play in a bigger field in day 1 as I think when they have a phase structure like this it can be difficult if the tables start to reduce to the point you do not have full tables. Looking at the payout structure at the moment it is not as generous as I would have hoped. It is about 10% but I am more use to it being 12-16%. 10% is slightly on the tight side.

I think I will enter early to give my self more time and a chance to make more plays but the time zone is difficult as it stats 6pm my time to about 4am. I have the first two days of work fortunately, but have not planned for the final table but just want to try and play a good game at this point and see what happens. A cash would be lovely though.

Thanks again.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Irrespective of the structure, you should play tight in the early phase of the tourney and when you reach 2 day of the tourney and in the money you should loosen up a bit of your range to take advantage of the image you set on the table.

The tight aggressive use to be the recommended way to play but that's really changed over the years, because you just don't hit those big hands often enough and your stuck if you do not get action when you do, although I have seen some players still be very successful without but I often find you have to be tighter later as you do not get the implied odds on draws.