Have you ever busted on your first hand?

CKALLDAY

CKALLDAY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m sure I’ve busted first hand online but one of my most memorable moments happened on the first hand of a live tournament I played.

It was a $60 buy in with roughly 100 players.

The first hand of the tournament I was dealer and we actually shuffled the deck ourselves. After having shuffled the deck, I started distributing the cards when someone noticed that I hadn’t asked the player to my right to cut the deck.

As a result, I had to reshuffle and have the player next to me cut the deck before we actually got our hands. To those of you who wouldn’t understand why, it’s simply to prevent the dealer, who actually has a stake in the game, from cheating and potentially rigging the deck.

Well, after having gone the legitimate route, I look down at my first hand of the tournament and see AA. This was over 10 years ago, so the situation is a little fuzzy now, but basically there was a limp In middle and I raised roughly 3 times the blind on the button to one caller.

The flop came 234. We somehow manage to end up all in on the flop with him being the caller after raise and re-raising and he turns over T6. The turn was a blank and the river was a 5, connecting for both of our straights.

Everyone was fairly silent and shocked at what had just transpired considering the shuffling controversy that had happened prior to the hand.

I never understood his call but when I look at it years later it’s not “terrible”, I suppose but it was very unique for a first hand in a live tournament, with blinds being so small.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Many times on-line especially when dealt AA or KK first hand, but usually in free-rolls so nothing lost, Never in a live game, though I have been all-in with AA in a live game once and was called by a player with QQ and beat him.
On one particular week I was in a Cardschat free-roll and dealt AA first hand called an all-in from a KK and my Aces got cracked then on the following night I was dealt KK fisrt hand and called an all-in from another player who had AA and lost again. I just go back to my regular SnGs and keep grinding away.
If I was that kind of player who lets it get under my skin I could swear pokerstars is rigged or Cardschat cheated me, but it doesn't bother me, Cardschat had nothing to do with it, nor Pokerstars, It was pure dumb luck, the Poker Gods, and I was the Dummy!

When the fun Stops, STOP!

L

liviuplayspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah with 77 against big raise vs 88

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly yes . . . The old 'cracked aces' . . . But there was another tournament waiting for me . . .

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course ... if you never, it is because you are still a newbie. lol

P

poker hp635

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a similar situation first hand when AA was not enough cards. So it was many times not only with aces but also with other hands, I was almost sure that poker stars against me

D

daniel411

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes happend several times to me, most times in freerolls, worst suck out in a freeroll in first hand, i had aa preflop with 4 others all in, the worst hand with 94o won.

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just yesterday my AAs crashed against 4-5. My opponent played all his chips, and he miraculously got the straight. But it happens quite often. You don't have to worry too much about such moves.

S

speeditall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THIS rings a bell or two as I am one of those players who can go all in with any cards especially in a freeroll

D

deputat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first hand is always like a mouse trap either you win the hand or fly out

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it happened to me and it was terrible. In the first hand I play AA and I make the corresponding raise, while another triples me, another 2 calls and the dealer plays ALL IN ... I call and lose against JJ because the opponent connects flush and I had three of aces .. It was sad hahaha

S

suehtam05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I had aces against queens. He floped a set

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, multiple times with great hands

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Going bust the fist hand happens but not to often. Always keep in mind you can't win a tournament at the beginning and the value of the chips is rather meaningless at the start of a tournament.

Argylegreg

Argylegreg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you haven't, you haven't played enough tournament's!
If you get dealt A's or K's and someone goes all in before you, you're going to fancy your chances. Obviously Poker luck thinks otherwise....

T

Taliban

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So many times I already lost count it is just so hard not to when you got pocket A's or K.

Mityamoriss

Mityamoriss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not many times,but its frustrating :D

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once I won a $250 ticket to a Knockout tournament.

First hand was QQ and I went all in.

My opponent had AK and an A came on the table and I was busted.

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah. Coolers are a thing. Don't be afraid to play the first hand of the tourney just because all the fish are throwing money around. It works out more than it doesn't.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Of course,it has happened to me too.Fortunately,mostly in freerolls and sometimes in low buy in sit&gos

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, It happened loads of times....hahahaahah

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands