Have you ever busted on your first hand?

W

wulfeman007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure. That will happen to everyone, if you play a lot of tournaments. And as someone said already, its a whole lot better to bust early due to bad luck than to play for hours and still not cash. If rebuy or reenter is an option, a situation like this is, what its for.
yes play it hard n fast and go for a chip stack

It has happened to me several times but to be honest I prefer it to be in the first hand and not in the bubble or after playing 2 hours
any 2 can win .. i prefer 28off :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kantin0

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The truth happens to me very often with those hands; one is confident that it is the winning hand and then the FISHIES that like to pay with any Hand appear and they end up putting together a super game in the FLOP.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hands are strong and you can shove. But the question is, how long will you wait for them and will you have enough stack?

Panda1010

Panda1010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing gets me so annoyed then busting on the first hand. Just the anticipation of the actual tournament starting is enough to make me fold good quality hands. Specially in free rolls...there is always that one player that constantly goes all in every hand. Usually ends up donking the better player. So for that reason and from experience of losing on the first hand. I end up folding first hands no matter the hold cards....unless no one goes all in.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I have done this more than a few times also with AA or KK. I guess the good thing about it is that you did not invest any time and can just move on :), but it does always feel a bit disappointing. I had won a $100 wsop ticket just recently and in that tournament I got AA on my 2nd hand and got cracked. That was very disappointing because the most I buy in for right now is $2.50. What could I do, other than just move on to another game :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I just did today playing the freeroll at global poker. First hand I was looking at AA UTG and put in a standard raise. CO puts in a 3 bet. BB 4 bets with half his stack. I shove and both players call.

CO shows JJ and BB shows AT. I'm all excited about tripling up!!

Flop comes 4JK giving CO a set. Q comes on the turn giving BB a straight. Another K comes on the river giving CO a boat.

Tripling up would have given me a very good chance of getting ITM in that freeroll. But it wasn't what the poker gods had planned for me today.

Have you ever busted in your first hand?

As you can now see from the previous replies that, yes, this will happen often enough and most people prefer to bust first hand with AA than to grind for three hours plus and then to bubble anyway. I'm one of them.. :)

Personally, I've busted first hand online many a time, including AA into king rag offsuit and watched in disbelief as the villain flops quad kings, haha.. :laugh:

Don't remember busting first hand live thankfully!

Only once and it was a few weeks ago. I flop the nut straight and get two players shoving all in before me (rainbow board). I of course call. Both had top pair. The board goes 99 giving the guy with A9 a full house. Absolutely sickening but at least that didn’t happen after putting in a few hours and on the bubble.

It has happened to me several times but to be honest I prefer it to be in the first hand and not in the bubble or after playing 2 hours

Its better to get it in good and lose the first hand, than to play for hours and bubble.

All three, couldn't agree more!

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its very normal if you usually play turbo, knockouts, and freeroll.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But this happens to everyone. In poker, the highest card in hand cannot win every time. Otherwise it would no longer be poker, but a game called a point.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I just did today playing the freeroll at global poker. First hand I was looking at AA UTG and put in a standard raise. CO puts in a 3 bet. BB 4 bets with half his stack. I shove and both players call.

Flop comes 4JK giving CO a set. Q comes on the turn giving BB a straight. Another K comes on the river giving CO a boat.

Tripling up would have given me a very good chance of getting ITM in that freeroll. But it wasn't what the poker gods had planned for me today.

Switch to play money and try to play with those cards several times with all-in, you will be surprised by the "coincidences" of the game. :rolleyes:

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It happens in poker and i got busted many times with my first tourney hand but no need for frustrating cause there are much another event to play and more you play the bigger chance to make a good deep run.gl mate

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I can't count how many times it's happened, especially in freerolls. At the same time, I'm never folding any TT+ on the first hand in a freeroll even if the entire table is all-in, I don't care if I bust because there's always another game starting soon.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes,when I have QQ or better hand and run into a better hand or a bad board

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
An hour ago playing PLO8 on netbet. Flop trips, improve to FH and on the river I get a (not needed) nut high flush. I've bet on all three streets and am all in. Vill gets a str. flush on the river... laughed and reentered.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha, yep. The worst part is, it often feels like someone just canceled plans on you. It's like crap, now what am I going to do.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was busted many times in first hand of a freeroll. It doesn't bother me that much. I was tilt and also I say better going out early on a bad beat than going out near the bubble.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, a couple times but these were freerolls, I busted two times with AA and several times with AK but it was a long time ago. It hasn't happened since then.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bust on my first hand lots. It usually happens when I have a premium made hand pre-flop (e.g., AA, KK) that gets bad-lucked, or a really good hand that gets rivered. It almost always happens in a freeroll.

S

scrappypower

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes and when that happens i rather it be early then on a bubble pay out

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes. Literally the first hand. Same feeling busting within the first orbit or two for me though. When I bust on the first hand (which isn't even that common for me because I don't like committing all of my stack so early), then I typically just throw my hands up in the air and go, "well that was short!" and then I come back the next day ;)

A few times. Usually frerolls has a lot of maniacs and people get anxious to go all in. I try to play slowly at the beginning but if you have a premium hand you can't avoid do go all in against these maniacs. AA is not that strong on a multiway pot.

Exactly my thoughts. With so many players starting freerolls with maniac shoves, it is sometimes profitable to shove wider than just AA or KK though. If I can call off the shove in late position (less change of going into a multiway pot), then I'm usually happy because I might have a hand that is way ahead of theirs. Some players just shove and don't mind busting because they can just go to another freeroll.

I treat freerolls like I would "regular games" because I'm trying to improve my poker game and we play how we practice.

Funny is that usually when you busted at first hand that's a pair of aces.
If they are not All-in sliders in a freeroll, then what hands might reasonably shove the first hand? When everyone is deep stacked, then expect the shove to be KK or perhaps even more likely AA.

Sometimes players will shove AK or 99+, but there are those shoving far wider like any pocket pair, any Ace, or even hands like JTo. Some might even shove any two cards!

Shoving every hand just to double up (or triple etc.) is a strategy because there is nothing they lose if they bust; they just start another game elsewhere and supposedly "saved" time they could have "wasted" in this event. It isn't the worst strategy - at least it isn't passive :D It just isn't the best strategy.

I'm sure I've busted online the first hand in many tournaments--particularly MTTSNGs like the stars 180-mans I used to grind.

But I will always remember busting a live tournament on the first hand lol. Yes I had aces all-in pre, and yes I'd traveled all the way to the strip from Summerlin just for the privilege of busting the first hand at the Aria haha. It was a long time ago though now, and since I would've had to wait a while to reenter behind all the alternates, I just went back home and played a session online instead.

Aww; I've heard similar stories too. Shame, but it can happen.

Yes I went out first hand... i had pocket Aces and a player when all in with Pocket Kings....

He hit quads...

Wait, was this on an ACR freeroll (through CardsChat) a little over a month ago? If it was, then I think I was at your table to witness that! I was shaking my head, like "dang - nothing wrong there, just unlucky."

I've busted first hand with KK against AA

Pretty sure that has happened to me before as well. For sure me losing with KK vs AA, but not as certain if on the first hand. I know it has happened within the first orbit for sure though; just don't remember if it was the exact first hand or perhaps the second or third.

I bust on my first hand lots. It usually happens when I have a premium made hand pre-flop (e.g., AA, KK) that gets bad-lucked, or a really good hand that gets rivered. It almost always happens in a freeroll.

I hear ya; of course you would have a premium hand preflop though. You probably wouldn't give a second thought about folding if you were dealt 7-2o in the first hand :D Sometimes these trash hands are blessings in disguise because it makes the fold easy. Hands like JJ or AQ (maybe even worse hands like A5 or KT) are playable, but just enough to get you involved when you might be dominated. I see these as just strong enough to get me into trouble - problem is that sometimes they are worth playing. I just play them with awareness, but hands like KT are easy folds if the action gets too heavy.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Yes. I'll have a top 3 starting hand and get punished by a pair of sixes. I shake my head in amazement that someone went all in with sixes, and I usually cuss!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I happened to me once and it was in a live game. Aces vs jacks. I flopped the jack and 3 bet him in the flop and turn setting up a nice pot size bet for the river. He hit the ace and I was out.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think something like that happened to me at the beginning when I started playing poker ... a very funny experience when you sit down full of euphoria and anticipation and something like that happens to you:)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands