Which hands to play in the early stages of a sng ?

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let´s say we have a 9man SNG, which hands do you play in the low blinds like 10/20 and 15/30 - depending on your position ?
(I ask this, because i read different tips :confused: from Moshman, Spacegravy and other experts..)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a direct answer because I don't play a lot of SNGs. That said, the first though that came to mind was what buyin level you're talking about, and whether that might affect how applicable the advice from different writers may be.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG I'll open all PPs, AJs+, AQo+, KQs. As position gets closer to button I'll start opening slightly wider and by the time I reach the CO I start to really open my range/

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for answers, how much do you raise depending on your position (or always the same amount) ? Is open-limping with small pairs ok ?
(I aks all this questions for micro / low sng´s in the early blind levels 10/20 and 15/30, thanks)

xUnrated

xUnrated

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG I'll open all PPs, AJs+, AQo+, KQs. As position gets closer to button I'll start opening slightly wider and by the time I reach the CO I start to really open my range/

ALL pp's UTG? youre going to open 22,33,44,55,66 with 8 people left to act behind you?

xUnrated

xUnrated

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for answers, how much do you raise depending on your position (or always the same amount) ? Is open-limping with small pairs ok ?
(I aks all this questions for micro / low sng´s in the early blind levels 10/20 and 15/30, thanks)

I dont play sng's much, but usually takes more than a 3x raise to get the marginal hands out early in the sng.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early levels 80 in EP and 60 in LP, maybe 50 from SB. Open limping is not ok (except in extreme circumstances), I've made my feelings known about limpers various times so I won't go into it too much but they are generally retards with no idea what they're doing and limp/call then c/c flop then c/r turn is so laughably transparent that I'd snap lay down AA and kill their implied odds. I don't vary my raise size based on strength (well I kinda do given I do by position and naturally my range changes by position) but from one position I have one raise size.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also wouldn´t play low pairs like 22-55 in early positions, but maybe its possible, because its cheap...

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early in sngs I'm playing pps and suited connectors(and big one gappers and suited aces) thats pretty much it. I'll fold aj from almost anywhere if it isn't suited theres just no point early on in sngs especially DoN's.

JDAWG5

JDAWG5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I like this.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's abit wide, in my mind.
My range is TT+ AJ+, till blinds hit 25/50> 50/100 then i open up.
I really don't want to lose haft of my stack well trying to play low PP UTG, yes it has happened to me the few times i tried playing low PP.:musicus:

C

cheaptrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early levels 80 in EP and 60 in LP, maybe 50 from SB. Open limping is not ok (except in extreme circumstances), I've made my feelings known about limpers various times so I won't go into it too much but they are generally retards with no idea what they're doing and limp/call then c/c flop then c/r turn is so laughably transparent that I'd snap lay down AA and kill their implied odds. I don't vary my raise size based on strength (well I kinda do given I do by position and naturally my range changes by position) but from one position I have one raise size.

do you even play SNG's? limping the early rounds is standard.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ or KQ early on is pretty dangerous.
My range would be more like AQ+, 88+

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you even play SNG's? limping the early rounds is standard.
I've played plenty of SnGs, I still snap mark open-limpers as fish. Just because it's standard doesn't mean it's correct. It just means most people are fish, which they are at micros.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played plenty of SnGs, I still snap mark open-limpers as fish. Just because it's standard doesn't mean it's correct. It just means most people are fish, which they are at micros.
Just cause they limp doesnt mean they are total fish.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just cause they limp doesnt mean they are total fish.
Open limping generally does. Espeically in my main game type, hyper turbos. If I mark everyone who open limps as a fish then when I'm regging I'd generally make sure I was regged in games with people that have a green marker.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Open limping generally does. Espeically in my main game type, hyper turbos. If I mark everyone who open limps as a fish then when I'm regging I'd generally make sure I was regged in games with people that have a green marker.

Yeah, well, I can see how that is pretty awful in hyper turbos :)

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets say, we have in a regular 9man SNG the hand 44 in middle position, we are first to act (all players folded to us), what´s the best play ?

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty-much gonna agree with Blue as far as his opening ranges. Generally early levels I'm opening 22+, A-10s, A-Jos, KQ suited or unsuited from any position.. So, I guess just a bit wider than Blue, but pretty close. I play this wide because I presume that I have an edge on the table, especially post-flop. If something happens to make me question this, then I adjust my ranges appropriately. I should also note that I'm playing Bounty SnGs, so there is somewhat of a premium to being one of the bigger stacks early in that it makes it easier to collect bounties along the way.

This is just my default, though, and definately changes if I have any reads/stats on the players in the game. Oh, and I also throw-in suited connectors and suited one-gappers from MP or later. So, I guess I play pretty loosly early-on.

Unlike Blue, though, I'll often limp, even limp-open, the weaker part of this range and, rarely, the strongest part of it as well. This is just a general situation and readless, though. My reasoning is that players at the low levels are uniformly pretty bad and will seldom punish limpers; so I look to get in cheap at the low levels, flop big, and bust someone. Now, if I'm at a table where a few of the players have a clue, then the times I limp, especially open-limp, go way, way down.

Lets say, we have in a regular 9man SNG the hand 44 in middle position, we are first to act (all players folded to us), what´s the best play ?

The way I play, this hand could go either/any way. Depends on if I have any quick/early reads on any of the players, or a decent volume against them on my tracker from previous games. It also depends on what I'm trying to accomplish.

If I'm looking to bust someone early, and I'm at a passive table I'll even open-limp, calling a small raise after me if need be. If I don't flop big, I'm done v. any further aggression (usually). If they raise me big pre, I'm done. I've sacrificed a few chips, but gained some reasonably valuable info in the process for very little cost.

If I'm at that same passive table, but just looking to pick-up a few chips, I'll open-raise it, expect folds all around, and pick-up the blinds. If I get re-raised, I'm done. Same situation; sacrifice a little now, reasonable chance to pick-up the blinds, and gain the knowledge that I have a player behind me who is willing to mix it up. Good to know for later.

If I know that I'm at an aggro table, or from past experience that there are 1 or 2 fairly knowledgeable/aggressive players left to act; I just fold it early.

So, as usual in poker, "it depends".

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your opinion about this advice: "If the pots are usually unraised pre-flop, limp with all low pocket pairs from any position during low blinds especially if there is already at least one caller." :confused:
(Moshman´s Sit´n-Go-Strategy)
That means open-limping is a good play in the early stages, or not ?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd hazard a guess at the book being outdated. From what I've read a few years ago it was acceptable play to open limp PPs. I really hate open limping, I attack every single open limp I can and I'd be surprised if anyone could post a large sample size in current games of open limping PPs from |EP and having positive ev.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands