the habit of shoving once i hit the flop

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a great habit.Come and play against me please.I think is a awful habit but if you want statistically answer there is always the chance of 6% that you hit another card on flow or river ant increase your chance of wining.Now whatever i said you probably wont stop playing this so let's see what you can do about it.When it hit the flop you definitely want to raise but not to go all/in,if you do that every time it is impossible for you to win the tournament.So you want to play that aggressively but balanced.Also you may think of reducing the cards with weak kickers with which you would enter the pot.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@ninjareal, in your 66 hand, folding preflop is not an option. Calling too is not option, your only good option was too shove preflop. What you do postflop was not that important, because you yourself put yourself in that terrible spot.

Hi, I don't like shoving that hand preflop as it'll give rival a better mathematical chance to call, whereas if rival misses flop and i shove isn't the maths worse for them?
(Disclaimer - i don't know the maths of poker very well)
Some players who are also desperate will almost call anything preflop (for this topic lets say they'll connect on the turn or river etc) , so if they see flop and miss, how many are brave enough to still call a missed hand all in?
(I would probably fold AK if i miss the flop, then again I'm probably not brave)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a great habit.Come and play against me please.I think is a awful habit but if you want statistically answer there is always the chance of 6% that you hit another card on flow or river ant increase your chance of wining.Now whatever i said you probably wont stop playing this so let's see what you can do about it.When it hit the flop you definitely want to raise but not to go all/in,if you do that every time it is impossible for you to win the tournament.So you want to play that aggressively but balanced.Also you may think of reducing the cards with weak kickers with which you would enter the pot.

Hi, haha for sure I'm up for some poker battles anytime :) ;) ,
Good advice you give as with other members as well, and like i mentioned above somewhere, that when I'm the big stack i love players who play that way, complicated game at times lol,
I never want to be allin, truly, but some players are stubborn (especially on freerolls ) , hopefully i will get better though that i don't have to "play from the bottom" anymore, poker is so much easier "from the front" ,
Incidentally, haha some may love this one, i was once down to 167 chips. .... only. .. and managed to recover and win $10 on demand tourney from then onwards , i guess never over till it's over

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a side note, I would probably never do this in a cash game, in a cash game people have "time " to try catch me with trips, 2 pair, over pair. ... and to catch me when I'm "desperate" , hopefully the time when i do shove everyone else has nothing :p (such wishful thinking )
Honestly i hope to not play this way, but no promises just yet, when in short stack trouble 10bb < , for now no guarantees, it is a very tempting way to play and for sure can lead to a serious bad habit/trend/addiction,
So hope to see you all at the tables and we can all laugh if you knock me out :)

S

silentbovo1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very warming to see that you've improved from this habit. Going all in with top pair regardless of kicker is very marginal of a move and obviously will get you in trouble. The only time I see this situation being okay is if you have a dead read on you're opponent that his hand is weaker but will def call you or if you need to scare people off late in a tournament for a guaranteed pot (denying equity).

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shoving top pair is kind of an amateur thing, pocket pairs are common, especially face cards, you'll see when you shove top pair and they have a nice pocket pair for you, it'll happen during the most important times.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even call anithing preflop is bad, this is terrible!!

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shoving top pair is kind of an amateur thing, pocket pairs are common, especially face cards, you'll see when you shove top pair and they have a nice pocket pair for you, it'll happen during the most important times.

Hi , very true, I happened to be on both sides of this yesterday, one point i had pocket kk and flop xxQ villan shoves i insta-call and win,
i also had A9 and flop 389 , i loosely shoved and called by pocket QQ , unfortunately for villan , i turn 9 & rivered 9 for quads , my apologies to villan , you had me dead ,
I've come to terms with the bad habit now though, when I'm short stacked though ,.... if you have me , you have me, # not folding

Last edited:
M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short Stacked in a tournament if didnt shove preflop not a bad move, but at any other point in time horrible. I just sniped 2-3 in one tournament last night.

That move works until your out of tourney.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
its a leak in my game, that i plugged a few weeks ago, and am starting to see more profit. If villian is on draw, he more than likely will call ALL IN especially in a rebuy to get a stack. happens all too often. best to raise and see what they are after..lol

Christy, if you're charging the draw & they are calling it off without the correct odds to do so, this is a WIN for you (regardless of how the cards might fall). We want to charge them on their draws as much as we think we can get away with (we WANT them to call... but want to charge them an amount that makes it -ev for them)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi all, I have noticed a habit of mine developing, not a good one i feel,
Calling preflop with whatever if it connects top pair on the flop i almost always shove in the later levels (no matter what kicker i have) ,
Does anyone else do this or similar? And what do you guys think of this "habit" ?
Saying that though, there are a few spots where i have lost by not "flop shoving " as opponent would have never called on the flop and got me when we saw the river , (hope I'm making sense ? Lol )

You are minimizing your wins by doing this.
You're either going to be winning the minimum or losing the maximum.

It sounds like you might be inexperienced with post-flop play. If so, try playing some micro cash game tables (100bb's deep) for awhile. There's enough Euro grinders on even the lowest of stakes to provide ample learning oppurtunities for postflop play. It will pay dividends in tournament play for you.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you're right, say i have A8 and flop is 287 , i shove and fear what? Thats always my line of thinking especially later levels, if they have any AK/AQ hand i have them I'm sure, so just afraid of pocket 99 and above, in later levels people with 99 for example usually bet a bit different (more aggressive /all in preflop) and mostly this "habit" works for me, i just can't help cringing every time I catch myself doing this , just feels "cheap" ,
In place of A8 you can also consider 98,Q8,T8 etc, reasonably bad kickers besides A8, but results are basically the same

Your just begging for only hands that have you beat to call here. Flopped Sets, 2 pairs, Straight draws, Flush draws, OVERPAIRS, like what do u expect to call u.. middle pair? Even overcards will get there 1/3 times. Your either getting folds, against a big draw or your already beat. Especailly if you dont have top kicker. You must be playing some pretty low buyin tournaments if your doing this and its working for you.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your just begging for only hands that have you beat to call here. Flopped Sets, 2 pairs, Straight draws, Flush draws, OVERPAIRS, like what do u expect to call u.. middle pair? Even overcards will get there 1/3 times. Your either getting folds, against a big draw or your already beat. Especailly if you dont have top kicker. You must be playing some pretty low buyin tournaments if your doing this and its working for you.

Hi, true story, mostly freerolls, and yes in these a lot of players call with air/over pair air .... usually I do want them to just fold, you can't lose when your opponents fold = guaranteed pot,
Nonetheless, since we have been talking about this i have been noticing other players doing it quite a lot, and losing. .. lol , strange when we talk about an idea and start to notice it more ;)

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are minimizing your wins by doing this.
You're either going to be winning the minimum or losing the maximum.

It sounds like you might be inexperienced with post-flop play. If so, try playing some micro cash game tables (100bb's deep) for awhile. There's enough Euro grinders on even the lowest of stakes to provide ample learning oppurtunities for postflop play. It will pay dividends in tournament play for you.

Hi, yes I'm sure i still need a lot of work still .... as always a work in progress,
however i don't think cash games would help as this "habit" pertains to tournaments, specifically short stacked late level play,
i do take your points and advice, thanks

(P.s i used to have a more drastic habit in deep stacked cash games, but that's a topic for another day)

E

evenstacknow13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
check call flop or lead small depending on board texture.

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only "habit" anyone should have is THINKING EVERY TIME you act.
.... no offense it just sounds like you "shove" rather than think about what's happening. Why throw your whole stack into a pot when you have one pair?... I'll bet you've busted out or taken a huge hit a lot doing that.

A

adueno81

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all, I have noticed a habit of mine developing, not a good one i feel,
Calling preflop with whatever if it connects top pair on the flop i almost always shove in the later levels (no matter what kicker i have) ,
Does anyone else do this or similar? And what do you guys think of this "habit" ?
Saying that though, there are a few spots where i have lost by not "flop shoving " as opponent would have never called on the flop and got me when we saw the river , (hope I'm making sense ? Lol )
yea my habit is a problem too. I dont think its bad in real life tourneys but you have to ask yourself; Is a flush on board? Is a 3 of a kind possible?

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If u have the nuts, u dont want to frigten any of the vilains, u want to get the most chips u can.