Guidance on limp vs raise first in vs open shoving with <20BB stack

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Any good general recommendations on when to limp or do a standard RFI of 2.2x-2.5x vs open shove when playing a short stack? Or recommendations for training resources or books or poker threads that do a good job of discussing this?

S

sprut625

Rising Star
Total posts
Any good general recommendations on when to limp or do a standard RFI of 2.2x-2.5x vs open shove when playing a short stack? Or recommendations for training resources or books or poker threads that do a good job of discussing this?
hello. 20bb is a normal stack for the game. not everything is still lost even when 10bb. avoid playing with borderline hands. and the game depends only on the position. good luck at the tables

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
From SB you should generally shove with <15BB, if there is a significant ante. Against passive opponents you can still limp. With 15-20BB you should only shove, if you are applying significant ICM-pressure to them, and they are good enough to understand this and fold. From the other seats its generally best to raise 2,0-2,2BB, if you have 15-20BB. With a stack of 10-15BB its situational, and with less than 10BB you should always open shove.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
There is no exact rule for playing against limpers. The optimal strategy for dealing with limpers will mainly depend on the playing tendencies of the players at the table and the depth of the stack. However, there are two adjustments that we can incorporate into our strategy to improve our performance against limpers.Play tighter From a theoretical point of view, playing with a tighter range against limpers would be completely justified. When a player opens-limps, he says about his hand something like, "I have a good enough hand to play in this position." Of course, some players will limp with some random and trashy hands like 10 ♣ 2 ♥, but there are not that many such players these days.Isolate with 3bb + 1bb for each limper when playing online

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Nuttea is correct, there is not exact rule for playing vs limper or even a short stack. Just like everything in poker, it depends. Is the guy tight or lose. Is he on tilt or not. Is he fed up with your play. Calling station or 3 better. Everything you need to thing about and evaluate. AJs could be an easy fold and next time 78s could be a shove. That is the problem, poker is so open ended and changing and why I love playing this game.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
There is no exact rule for playing against limpers.

I think you misunderstood - I was requesting information on suggestions regarding using an open limping strategy with short stacks, such as used by Dominik Nitsche.

Playing versus typical open limpers, especially at deeper stacks I feel I've got a reasonable handle on.