General Question: AK vs Maniac Early in Tourney

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread isn't meant as a hand analysis, just a generalized question that I will frame with an example.

In the early stages of a tournament today I opened AKo from UTG at a full table. I was 50 BB deep which more than average stack size at the time.

This was followed by two middle position callers, and then a 60 BB shove by a maniac player in the SB. I'd seen him shoving on flops with T4s when he hit top pair, and getting many folds by aggressively betting pre-flop and every street.

Generally, will you fold to a maniac in a similar position when you have AKo? It's putting our tournament life on the line at a time when we have a larger than average stack, but it's also an opportunity to double up and take a commanding chip stack forward into the tournament. We are going to have to take some flips at some point, aren't we?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a binary situation preflop. Either the player has a very strong hand and is hoping somebody will call out of frustration, or they have air and are hoping for folds (or for someone to call and knock them out). There are a few other possibilities but that's usually what it is.

I think you can justify calling if you have position and you are comfortable with rebuying if needed.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a binary situation preflop. Either the player has a very strong hand and is hoping somebody will call out of frustration, or they have air and are hoping for folds (or for someone to call and knock them out). There are a few other possibilities but that's usually what it is.

I think you can justify calling if you have position and you are comfortable with rebuying if needed.

This can be a cruel game. Sometimes I feel like I get too loose in these spots, other times I think I fold too easily.

Thanks and happy new year!

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that’s an insta call, even tho there is two other players left to act…so depending on their stack and style I may fold, but this is a great opportunity to double and maybe even triple up
Maniacs are great, frustrating as they can be

R

royalflush122096

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is very tough to play against a maniac but it is an easy call hopefully you will double your chip stack.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always seems to be a 50/50 call, so you must be aware of that.:confused:

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against an overly aggressive player........ No way in H, I'd fold my AK pre-flop~ :)

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that’s an insta call, even tho there is two other players left to act…so depending on their stack and style I may fold, but this is a great opportunity to double and maybe even triple up
Maniacs are great, frustrating as they can be

I agree. When they flip over something like 79 and send you flying from the tournament it's enough to make you want to through your computer out a window.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a gambling situation, the good news is, you are favorable most of time, it may depend on your risk preference, I think calling is profitable in the long run.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree. When they flip over something like 79 and send you flying from the tournament it's enough to make you want to through your computer out a window.
Well, that feeling may happen for a second, but three quarters of the time you win and they’re out, easy call, shit happens, best villains to play against in the long run

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is a knockout tournament, I would call, but if it is not, I would fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a mandatory call, if the Villain is described as a "maniac", because then he will certainly have other hands in his range than just pocket pairs or another AK, and there is a bit of dead money from the field callers as well.

A "tournament life" is worth absolutely nothing, if its early in a tournament. This is a totally wrong way to think about the game. Surviving for another hour or two and still not being in the money has no value, since we are not playing for entertainment, we are playing to make money. And the way to make money is to take on +EV spots, even if they are high variance.

Also if its eary in the tournament, then reentry is usually possible. So if we bust to the maniac, we just buy in again. And if thats not possible, we register to the next one. Being risk averse, when there are no immedeate payjumps to contend for, is not the way to win in tournaments. And if we dont like "gambling", then we should play chess not poker.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a mandatory call, if the Villain is described as a "maniac", because then he will certainly have other hands in his range than just pocket pairs or another AK, and there is a bit of dead money from the field callers as well.

A "tournament life" is worth absolutely nothing, if its early in a tournament. This is a totally wrong way to think about the game. Surviving for another hour or two and still not being in the money has no value, since we are not playing for entertainment, we are playing to make money. And the way to make money is to take on +EV spots, even if they are high variance.

This is the answer I needed. Thank you.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This thread isn't meant as a hand analysis, just a generalized question that I will frame with an example.

In the early stages of a tournament today I opened AKo from UTG at a full table. I was 50 BB deep which more than average stack size at the time.

This was followed by two middle position callers, and then a 60 BB shove by a maniac player in the SB. I'd seen him shoving on flops with T4s when he hit top pair, and getting many folds by aggressively betting pre-flop and every street.

Generally, will you fold to a maniac in a similar position when you have AKo? It's putting our tournament life on the line at a time when we have a larger than average stack, but it's also an opportunity to double up and take a commanding chip stack forward into the tournament. We are going to have to take some flips at some point, aren't we?
at the very beginning you need to play very tight and try not to expose at all before the flop. Let the others beat each other (they are in any tournament, regardless of buy-in), the fact that the one who survives will get a big stack - it doesn't matter, they will still hand it out. But A-A - Q-Q and A-Ks still don't fold.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would just insta call with ak offsuit if a maniac shoves all in preflop even if its early in the tournament since its a +ev play in the long run.