Freerolls and buy-in tournaments - Which are harder?

Sicamous

Sicamous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Hello brother.
For me it all depends on how you take the freeroll.
It is true that since it is not a paid game to enter, many times you do not care. Total finally is free and you do not lose anything.
But the ideal is to think backwards.
Why not think that thanks to the fact that they give you a free entry you can start building your bankroll????
That's why whenever I've played a freeroll and I'm still playing it, I really take it very seriously.
I was lucky to win many freerolls.
I still have the pending account of winning one of Cardschat hahaha
Although for work reasons I can't play them daily.
In a freeroll, as in all low-stakes MTTs, you have to wait for the barrage of all-ins from the 1st stage of the MTT where you find players who don't care because the MTT is free.
Then when you start to get closer to the ITM the MTT starts to get interesting.
That's why my advice is to try to identify these players at the table, and if you play against them, always do it with very good hands. Because they play luck as if the showdown were a slot.
My regards, brother:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
Some great advice right here! 👍

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Buy ins are harder because you have your own money at risk. As for he free roll player not caring because he has no skin in the game, you have no idea how much the buy in motivates any of your opponents. The real investment that all pay is time, but most have no clue as to it's real value.

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think? Is the freerolls harder than buy-in events?
I play freerolls a lot and very hard to survive till the final tables. Many "dont care" players there.
Exactly many don't care nothing invested so end up like lust all fest. I play them sometimes just to see if I can triple up quickly or get eliminated quickly as generally a waste if time and get bad habits. The ones with 5/6/8 minute increases in blinds is more reasonable to play for practice and to test your tournament strategies etc. I now generally play larger buy in tournaments 10 to 1 100 dollar buys in with larger prize purse and longer intervals so you have time to use your tournament strategies for the early middle late stages money bubble and final table etc.

UnderDawg5501

UnderDawg5501

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
At the end of the day, freerolls are a cheap way to get some experience at playing MTT's. Costs nothing but time and sure shows what people are capable of. Most of the times, if you don't have at least an Ax or a Broadway pair, you're pretty much toast. More luck than anything, if you don't get cards, the blinds kill you quickly enough. You can't bluff, there are usually at least 3 or 4 people going all-in...

Though just a short while ago I did get a pile of limpers to let me check on the BB with 63o, caught 368 rainbow on the flop, bet $2000 Caught a 6 on the turn.. bet more.. 4 villain's lost a bunch of chips to me..... I did get a ticket to the $700,000 Sunday next weekend, so all is good.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are more difficult as players have no real money stake in the game. No skin in the game so to say. Especially difficult to get a good start as so many players go all in or are very loose in the preliminary stages of the tournament.

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From personal experience. Freerolls lol like a minefield out there

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that especially these players with a lot of experience and patience are the easiest opponents, unless you play turbo tournaments. You can wait patiently for good cards and increase your probability. By the way, I write this because sometimes I myself am not patient and make mistakes. But still, I sense beforehand that I'm dealing with a donk. From this you can conclude that I need to work more on my self-control.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
If they both have same amount of players I'd say buy in should always be harder to win, as people actually care about the game and don't just randomly all in and give the chips away. Freerolls however usually have way more players participating then your normal buy-in tournament, so essentially you have to beat way more people there, meaning you also need way more luck on your way, making it harder.
When it comes down to final table I'd say they are equally as hard.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I play freerolls a lot and very hard to survive till the final tables. Many "dont care" players there.
freerolls!) there are a lot of crazy people 😀😀😀 and it's impossible to play

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The buy in tournaments need more responsibility, because you invest money and you have to get in the money to create profit. In the freerolls you don't have to lose anything, so you can play with less worries. So buy in tournaments are harder generally.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion is that the question here is not what is more complicated, but why do you need it, well, where is the expectation more, in any case, in addition to money, the game should also bring pleasure

E

Eclip5e7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
My opinion is that we want to win both freerolls and tournaments, but we play tournaments from our bankroll, so we pay more attention to them.

f_lampa

f_lampa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
freerolls it is much easier to get into prizes than in paid tournaments.
tournaments for money, people pay more attention to their game.

pabbl

pabbl

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Yesterday i ruled in a freeroll at pokerstars and still got thrown out because in the end my concentration decreased, i still was 14th out of 3000 . When i played with buy in of 55 cent i reached the final table of the satellite and could play Phase 2 where it was a lot harder to stay calm...

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Ncsaba1988! And You try the tournaments with buy-ins, and You at once understand, where more difficult!.. As speaking: feel the difference!
Good Luck!

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between freerolls and microbet games based on "Difficulty"! I can tell you from experience that there is almost no "BIG" change up to a $100 entry... 5,-10,-25,-50, - Even at $100 stakes, there are those players who like to get into every hand, bet, with such worthless hands that you can't believe it...so "(Real)" poker is more predictable based on my experience, rather the higher you have to search in the category, which of course no longer belongs to the Freeroll-Micro betting category, unfortunately...!!! :cool:😎

Ncsaba1988

Ncsaba1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
Hello, Ncsaba1988! And You try the tournaments with buy-ins, and You at once understand, where more difficult!.. As speaking: feel the difference!
Good Luck!
You are probably the don't care people category !!!!!!!!!!!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I do not know if they are harder or not . I have seen crazy moves at buying games many times . But yes , in a freeroll the other player plays for free , he has nothing to lose , besides time . And he does his best to waste your time as well

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both have their own pros and cons.

In freerolls the player field is weak and no money at stake, however there is lot of variance as players gamble.

In buying games the player field is less weak and people play reasonably.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For sure the more participants, the more difficult it gets, many players going allin at the beginning with marginal hands, you get caught in many bad beats, you have to be very patient, but you get there ..

Adi1899

Adi1899

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion a freeroll because players are unpredictable. There is more emphasis on luck than skill.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls , you get a wide variety of players that shoot their guns off willingly, buy ins are different where people are actually putting money in expecting a return, a little more cautious.

D

DPoker0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I think freerolls is harder beacause we have a lot os people that don't know what they're doing

So inversely, you would say "Buy-in tournaments are easier because we have a lot of people that know what they're doing"

... do you guys understand how ridiculous this thread is?

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on the ability to build tactics and make the right decisions. It seems to me that freerolls are more about luck due to the high tempo of the game.

D

DPoker0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
It all depends on the ability to build tactics and make the right decisions. It seems to me that freerolls are more about luck due to the high tempo of the game.
Yes the variance will be much higher but if you play correct, the ROI will be much higher as well.

Freeroll Passwords