Freeroll and low buy in late tourney Strategy

T

twiztedtony

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my freeroll and micro stakes strategy i have come up with while playing. So you should have a decent sized stack playing moderate sized pots. And the size is dwinding, your trying to get ITM. This is how ive been able to cash 4 tourneys in just 2 days. Let everyone take everyone out. Only play monsters. Fold good. You might have to fold aces even (post flop) kings for sure. Pick your places. If you have a hand you would normaly push with only raise and call all in if your feeling the action. Anyone have contributions they could add or critique or questions?

A

Aceupmysleeve91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing freerolls

This is my freeroll and micro stakes strategy i have come up with while playing. So you should have a decent sized stack playing moderate sized pots. And the size is dwinding, your trying to get ITM. This is how ive been able to cash 4 tourneys in just 2 days. Let everyone take everyone out. Only play monsters. Fold good. You might have to fold aces even (post flop) kings for sure. Pick your places. If you have a hand you would normaly push with only raise and call all in if your feeling the action. Anyone have contributions they could add or critique or questions?

Hey, if that strategy wirks for you, go for it. However I would never suggest folding Aces or kings post flop especially in freerolls because people are going all in with bottom or middle pair or even a draw.

My suggestion is try and double or triple up early than slow play it out and build your stack up.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is how ive been able to cash 4 tourneys in just 2 days

I agree that this will let you cash in a higher percentage, the problem is that this is just too tight/passive to allow you to go deeper in tournaments and win big money (or a significant amount over the min).

It is a good starting point....What you need to do from there is to actually start adding a few more hands in good spots to build up your stack for after the bubble. Once you start cashing, you need to give up some of the small cashes and take a chance for larger cashes.

Bob23bk

Bob23bk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And the size is dwinding, your trying to get ITM.
You might have to fold aces even (post flop) kings for sure.

I used to feel this way as well, afraid to get all in near the bubble. I've folded pocket aces preflop (I made a thread about it where people laughed at me :eek:) to make ITM. The problem is that while you can guarantee a min cash, you're also basically guaranteeing you're dead quickly once you get ITM. By risking bubbling and chipping up, you have a much better chance to run deep which is more money overall. The prize money is heavily weighted towards the top, so you'll be better off in the long run if you disregard the bubble and play for 1st place :)

Of course you will bubble more often, but the bigger wins will make up for it (so long as the variance poker Gods allow it :joyman:)

I don't like to waste a bunch of time in a freeroll to get sucked out on, so I'll often jam marginal hands early on to chip up or move on. You're going to have to win some flips to get to the final table so may as well get one out of the way early on... It puts you in a much better position to earn more chips when you're deeper stacked than most others ;)

M

MstrBlast3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your goal is to min cash that is great. If your goal is to win you need to play a little wider punish the short stacks every chance you get. Find the players just trying to get ITM and steal their blinds.