Folding midpairs

BustyBusters

BustyBusters

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tou have to be willing to fold midpairs deepstacked and I need to tell myself this as well.
Was playing deepstacked with triple my starting stack at a table with similar stacks and got dealt 7s.
2 All ins before me and I called, unfortunately 2 more went all in behind. Was up against A10 KQ A6 J3 84
I actually held until a King came on the river but calling 2 All ins with 7s was a mistake in retrospect.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Midpairs is TT and 99... i dont call with 88 and below...

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tou have to be willing to fold midpairs deepstacked and I need to tell myself this as well.
Was playing deepstacked with triple my starting stack at a table with similar stacks and got dealt 7s.
2 All ins before me and I called, unfortunately 2 more went all in behind. Was up against A10 KQ A6 J3 84
I actually held until a King came on the river but calling 2 All ins with 7s was a mistake in retrospect.

I agree with the above comment, I would not call 77 as a mid pair.

Calling 2 allins generally results a huge minus. It can be good in few situations - anyway I wonder what type, level tourney you have played, how was the BBs, as it looks like a freeroll, very micro, even hypers do not have allins like this.

77 for me good for a 2 allin call from small, big blind, if my stack is under 10BB, probably less, under 6-8 BB, in a normal speed tourney, it can be also good if I have 3-4 times higher stack like the opponents. Also depends on where we stand in the tourney, in the bubble it is an easy fold, soon after reaching ITM, especially against short hands easy call.

But I still can't get it, what kind of tourney you could play, where players go allin with cards like that, do not mention the positions, and actions before....

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didn't mention it but this tournament was a freeroll right?
Depending on the tournament and with which cards the players are going all in, I think you can pay with 77, even more if it is those with a huge field that we need to accumulate a lot of chips to have more chances of trying to reach the final table.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against 5 opponents you always have bad equity even if you hold aces. You may have the best chance of winning, but the chance that someone else will win is still greater. If you had less than 10 blinds then you almost had to call with 77. If you had more than 10 blinds I would have probably folded. If two players have gone all in before you then you can also be blatantly underdog because someone has a higher pair than you. I don't like going all in with middle pocket pairs. Often you are dominated because someone has a higher pair. Most of the time, your chances are no better than 50:50 because your opponent has two overcards. I prefer to play pocket pairs when I have enough chips. Then I like to watch the flop and hope for the drilling.

M

mortimccarthy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to agree with the comments above in this situation with two all ins before me i throw away 77 and to probably nines and tens also if im up again'st one opponent and im last to act maybe then depending on stack size i might call if my opponent is playing loose, I constantly throw away 77 or 88 sometimes the right decision other times your set comes and your kicking yourself but ultimately probably the correct play..

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The overcard flop is definitely not the best option for us. Here you need to decide for yourself whether to place a continuation bet or not. Remember that your opponent will not always have the overcard that was placed on the flop. By not continuation betting, you are showing weakness and weak showdown value. Experienced opponents will take advantage of this and place bets to take the pot without a card. Therefore, it is worth skipping the continuation bet on the flop when you are ready to pay at least one of your opponent's bets in the future.
It's too early to throw your opponent to the cbet. Remember that with a middle pair and one overcard, you will very often be older than your opponent. It is worth trying to bring the distribution to showdown with minimal investment. If there are several overcards, and the opponent is showing aggression, then it should be admitted that the middle pair is not good, and stop participating in the distribution.

Folding in Poker