Final Table (MTT & SnG)

Mugetsu

Mugetsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets set the scene here. I usually play in low buy-in MTTs, but slightly more than most idiots would pay to avoid the constant all ins for the first half hour. My Sngs vary, anywhere between $2.50 to $20 buy ins, 6/10 players.

In MTTs, I frequently make it inside the bubble, and usually quite comfortably and without having to play too cautious with blind stealing etc. Problem is, once im in the bubble, or even at the final table I seem to either stop getting the cards or I get the cards and the flop flips me the bird. Is this common or is it just that now im in the final table I stop taking chances on cards etc?

In SnGs I like to establish myself as either the chip leader/aggressor or wait and see if someone else takes that role and I can just play the premium cards when they come. Again when it gets to final 3, I seem to feel like im being bullied (if im not chip leader). And think everyones bluffing and become a calling station if I am chip leader.

I have no idea what can be done to change either of these but as always input/advice is always welcome! Im sure there are plenty of others with similar scenarios!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how to help remedy your calling problem, other than saying 'stop doing it'. You need to be playing lots of preflop and flop poker ie raise PF, C-bet flop. Raise PF, C-bet flop. You just want to pressure your opponents who have smaller stacks until they get in the mode of waiting only for premiums with which to fight back.

As for becoming a calling station, think of this quote: "If it's good enough to stay with, it's good enough to raise with". If you genuinely think you're ahead and that your opponent is bluffing you, then stick 'em in.

Say 3-handed, a very aggressive player raises your blind (again) and you find yourself holding KQ. Solid hand 3-handed. You think you're ahead, so you call. WRONG. You should raise, and raise hard if this opponent has stolen numerous times. Don't let him see a cheap flop with 89s or 33. You'll also be out of position after the flop, and won't hit it roughly 2/3 of the time. By cold calling his bet, you give him fold equity aswell. Say an ace flops. There's no way you can now call a bet from him.

I dunno.. I'm almost never calling a bet in the late stages of a SnG or at the FT of a MTT. I'm raising or folding.

Mugetsu

Mugetsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a side note, Im finding the going tough at poker stars. It seems like a hand isnt won with less than a straight at that place. Im finding it tough to settle into their tourneys and their lack of a decent sit and go setup is a joke. I thought Pacific was bad, I actually cant wait to set up my net teller account so I can play only at poker.com.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And think everyones bluffing and become a calling station if I am chip leader.

We have a problem here. Two points.

1) Why would anyone want to bluff the chip leader? Unless you've been playing incredibly rock-like, there's just no sense in people trying it (of course that's not to say people won't ever try it, but it is less common than people trying to bluff a low-mid stack).

2) You should, when you're in good chip position, be using your chips aggressively. Fair enough, you don't want to be going crazy without a big hand when you're in a pot with a fellow big stack who can cripple you, but you should be taking the initiative in hands the vast majority of the time, simply because others will be reluctant to take 'adventurous' decisions when they know all their chips are on the line.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im finding it tough to settle into their tourneys and their lack of a decent sit and go setup is a joke.

whaaAAA!?

They have some of the best SnGs on the internet. IMO at least...

What do you find wrong with them??

Mugetsu

Mugetsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont know really. I played in a few tonight to see if I could still settle but I cant. I played in a 10 seater which was nearly a $4 buy-in, was still folk willing to go all-in pf in the first few hands. Just annoys me. It doesnt sound much but at a few other sites you can have a 6 person sng for $2.50 a pop. That to me is a nice relaxing sng. Ive played some of my best poker at these.

PS make you pay nearly $8 if you want any less than 8 people at your table which I dislike mainly because 6 people is great for getting good hands etc.

I feel like im moaning at nothing but I do havea point somewhere hidden underneath all this crap. :) Promise!

Once I make another few dollars at the cash tables ill prob just withdraw my cash!

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whaaAAA!?

They have some of the best SnGs on the internet. IMO at least...

What do you find wrong with them??

I don't like the fact that the cheapest 10 person or less SnG that isn't a turbo is $5. Makes it tough for a cheapskate like myself that wants to deposit the minimum and try to play within that BR :)

Mugetsu

Mugetsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the fact that the cheapest 10 person or less SnG that isn't a turbo is $5. Makes it tough for a cheapskate like myself that wants to deposit the minimum and try to play within that BR :)

Pretty much what I was getting at!