Entering a major tournament late

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I won my second $215 power fest ticket on party poker last night for one cent in a freeroll. I used my first free ticket last Sunday lasted an hour and a half before going bust so my plan today is to buy in late with around 17 big blinds and if the cards come go for a quick double up. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thx.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't go late. I just think you have more opportunities to pick better spots if you are not late.

xkenjix

xkenjix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why buyin late at 17bbs? Basically youre playing half of the stack compared to those that started on time. i dont mind regging when blins are 50/100(not sure of starting stack), but 17bbs is such a fold/shove range

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
As the others said already, you're going to be in push or fold mode much earlier. On the other hand that prevents you from making mistakes postflop. So depending on your skills it might be an option to register late. And it depends on the opponents, too. Sometimes it is better to let the majority of maniacs get busted before you enter. It feels like these guys have the tendency to be somehow lucky and busting your AA with 72o. I remember being cracked in a cash game by T4o. The first shove came from him/her and of course I was happy to get all my chips in preflop with my AA.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes you will have no fold equity and be looking to shove or fold until you happen upon a double up. best bet is to grind it from the beginning and build your stack up to use later on for the better.

A

Aparajit

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One think I observed is usually late registration is available upto 10 big blinds. So it means when a person has 10 times the big blinds, it is considered enough to win any game if played right.

If starting stack is 10,000 then late registration will be available upto 500/1000

and if 5000 chips, then late registration is available upto 250/500
in most cases.

Also you will have better success in going deep when late registred in a tournament or 1 hr after it begin.

Usually when I late register, I see lot many players on tables with less number of chips then they begin with.

If it starts with 10k, more than 1/3rd of players are with around 7k who have been playing for hours and with just 1 successful hand

you will just beat em and go to the average stack which is shown in the lobby. So back in game as everyone else.

And you will be more focused as u just came and have an edge

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never enter late in tourneys. And I don't like to play tourneys with late reg.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go early, you have more chances to view a lot of hands and get it and you can catch some bad players and get theirs chips easy. When you register late you have the pressure of the blinds and the need to get a hand quickly often.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to go late but on some smaller buyins like 5.50$ but 215$ mtt i would play from the start. although if u cant concentrate very long u should register at least 1 hour later