Early stages of low buy in MTTs

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly play 9 handed sitngos on BOL

I like trying the low buy in MTTs but i don't usually make it very long.

I think i need to be more patient as the aggression seems to be off the charts, maybe because of the ability for reentry?

Anyone else find the same? Any good strategies to combat?

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is easy to get involved early, before you know it, 1/4 of your stack is gone. Be patient, play premium hands and position and you will be successful. Lots of bad players over there at BOL, take advantage of that early by picking your spots.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's really no need to get involved in a lot of pots early on in a tournament. Mostly its just madness, people rebuying and everything. Wait for some big pairs / AK and you'll make a lot of profit off those players.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Low buy in reentrys can also be entered toward the end of registration period, in some of them not that many players & big stacks, also you aren't so tempted to blow too many buy ins. Get lucky a time or two & you are closer to cashing without investing so much time & so many rebuys. Not my normal practice, but have made it work now & then.

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get a feel for your table. Don't minraise at levels like 25/50, but raise your premiums hard, so you'll get headsup with a stubborn click-monkey.

Usually playing 5-way pots with KK+ is a sure recipe for disaster.

Also, 3bet your strong holdings. Get max value from weaker hands.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice for this is to be patient, play strong hands and you must understand that many players in micro tournaments with rebuys or freerolls try to increase their stack quickly with anything take advantage of this.

G

gaguilu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
STRATEGY

STRATEGY IS DIFFERENT FROM EACH TOURNAMENT AND WITHIN A TOURNAMENT THE STRATEGY IS VARIOUS TIMES

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all.

The part about people trying to double up quickly is so true. I've seen so many flops with junk in a 3 bet pot that someone goes all in with J4 because there is a 4 on board. It makes hand reading very difficult.

fickleberry

fickleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a way it's all very simple: play ABC poker and make sure you get your money in when you are ahead. Lots players in the early stage will jam it in with A9-AJ. If you are the guy with AK, you stand a good chance of chipping up.

Just don't get dragged into too many multi-way pots with marginal hands.