Duration of a Freeroll Poker tournament

tipejo767

tipejo767

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many freeroll tournaments that have low winnings, some are medium and few are good which have a duration of hours. Should the tournaments be created with a duration based on the prizes, that is, if the prize is low, should the duration be less?:confused:

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think market demand should take care of this naturally. If a freeroll has a low prize pool and a long duration, well that's not very attractive so not many players should bother entering, so those that do enter should have a better chance of winning which compensates them for the time invested. If you made it a shorter duration then it's more attractive as there's less time invested, but then that attracts more players so there's a lower chance of winning making it less attractive, and so on

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
There are many freeroll tournaments that have low winnings, some are medium and few are good which have a duration of hours.

I think market demand should take care of this naturally. If a freeroll has a low prize pool and a long duration, well that's not very attractive so not many players should bother entering, so those that do enter should have a better chance of winning which compensates them for the time invested.

So what is good duration for freeroll then? Is it (less than) 1-2-3 hours or is it 4+ hours like typical Cardchat freeroll :bebored:

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls are like normal tournaments, it is supose to be learning method, not money making one... CC has great freerolls because players are good so you can improve your game...

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play when I'm not doing anything. I like long tournaments or hot ones. They have a good structure.

K

Kdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the duration is based on the length of registration......which drives me crazy. I wish they would limit it to and hour. I have spent 4 hours to win a couple dollars. Not worth my time.

nba2009

nba2009

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Depending on the structure of the tournament if it is regular it should last from 5 to 8 hours they are very long

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are at the point you need to play freerolls, then it is a good time to practice being able to handle the length of other tournaments. It also gives you time to perfect your way of playing poker so that you can become comfortable with it. This is also a good time to get used to dealing with maniacs, as they are far more prevalent in freerolls than higher stakes. When you come across them in higher stakes after dealing with them in freerolls, they are far less of an obstacle.

All my money is going to the basics of life right now as I am dealing with medical issues. That means I need to use freerolls to make my bankroll. Now, I have been doing this right around 2 months on ACR and over half has come from CC so far. The rest has come from me getting ITM with the ACR hold em ones. This takes time, but it is slowly working. I have played a little cash with N02 and did a couple of micro stakes. This takes time and a willingness to work.

Now, some of the best players I have ever seen were willing to put work in for their goals. Phil Ivey spent so much time at the tables he would miss the bus some nights and sleep on the beach. Look at what Jonathan Little did with building his bankroll and studying. Freerolls allow you to see, to a degree, how to implement what you have been studying.

So, quit worrying about the money and start realizing that it is time spent making sure you can handle all levels of poker. You will see limpers, TAGs, LAGs, Nits, maniacs, and everyone in between. You have to start seeing how to deal with them before you move to bigger stakes. You can figure out how to trap. So, think of it as a time to practice before you move up while getting a chance to make a little money. How often do you get to practice skills and make any money?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The duration of the tournament does not depend on the amount of prize money.
The duration of the tournament depends on the number of registered players, the size of the blinds, the time of growth of the blinds, and the ante.
In general, the duration of the tournament depends on everything except the size of the prize money.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some of this is the sites fault for not removing inactive players and large part of the reason freerolls go so long is the plague of players limping to sitters. So by combing not removing inactive players, players limping to sitters, and long late registration periods you have the perfect mix for value destruction.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played in a lot of freerolls on a lot of sites... as a "free" (LOL) American who i still banned by our own idiot government from playing on the major poker sites, freerolls is literally all I can do these days.

I recently joined CardsChat since I saw they run freerolls on the sites we "free" (LOL) Americans can still play on for real money... and here's what I noticed by way of comparison... the CardsChat freerolls are quite a bit different from your normal poker site freerolls. And I mean that in a GOOD way. When a freeroll is open to anyone on the poker site, those tournaments are very loose, and very crazy, with the expected "all-in" style of poker even during early levels. But CardsChat freerolls are not really like this at all. There is a lot more folding in early levels, much like a "normal" (non-freeroll) tournament... and it also seems to me that the CC freerolls are populated with much better, much more competent and experienced players than a regular freeroll. They are tougher to go deep in, and despite the turbo format, they take a bit longer to reach the money. (which is my brief answer to the OP's post)

This is just my own opinions, and I've only been a member here for a few months... but I play poker to get better, and to challenge myself... so I'm not complaining with my words here! I'm very happy with CC and the freerolls, and happy with the player base that plays in them regularly.

Hope that helps. Again, just my opinions, yours may differ. :)

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's fine that most freerolls are kinda inefficient from a money/hour perspective cause it's giving you the potential to win money by only investing your time and learn and improve without having to risk anything. If I was an great poker player with a good bankroll then yea I wouldn't bother with freerolls because I stand to make so much more by investing some of my bankroll in a tournament.

I do think some take a bit too long because of how long registration lasts though, but the same goes for paid micro-stakes MTTs as well.

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really play the freerolls for the money, I play them just for fun and also to learn. Let me clarify 'learn' -- you have to get deep into the tournament to learn because that is where the good players tend to be. I have played for 3 or 4 hours and won a little more than $3 in prize money, but I enjoyed my time online immensely! Can you put a price on happiness?

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually you end up playing 3+ hours to win a couple of dollars only. They still are useful to improve all types of reading and recognize types of play, in each stage of the tournament.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The duration of Cardschat freerolls is adequate. I don’t really play in other freerolls, but in virtually any freeroll from start to finish it doesn’t take more than 4-5 hours I think.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
The duration of Cardschat freerolls is adequate. I don't really play in other freerolls, but in virtually any freeroll from start to finish it doesn’t take more than 4-5 hours I think.

Normal time for casual freeroll (incl cardchat ones) is 1-2-3 hours :rolleyes:
4-5 hours sounds more like usual time for whatever MTT :bebored:
Therefore no wonder about that part ^ :secruity:

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What makes a lot of these tourneys so long is they allow unlimited rebuys,and some have 30 blind levels of registration.I think it is ridiculous.Takes hrs upon hrs to play one of these.Cardschat free rolls dont allow rebuys,and some dont have any late registration.These tourneys go fairly fast.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many freeroll tournaments that have low winnings, some are medium and few are good which have a duration of hours. Should the tournaments be created with a duration based on the prizes, that is, if the prize is low, should the duration be less?:confused:
In tournament poker, there are many different temporary types, they have nothing to do with the prize being played!